Reasons Humans Are Doomed

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reasons Humans Are Doomed

Post by Admin »

This is why people should study philosophy.

Juvenile bullshit I'd expect from a 16 year old who just watched The Matrix.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:33 am Sorry. I assumed you had some peer reviewed tidbits for us.

My bad, but I had to ask. Believe whatever you want to stank. But fuckin' A bubba, don't expect me to buy it just because you do.

Umkay?
Sounds like metaphysical idealism.

Remember the poster hammegk from TOP and SC? That was his philosophical perspective so as to avoid dualism. He was a real jerk sometimes but I thought he was kinda funny.

And he was a hard-core right winger politically... seemed an odd "ideal" perspective to me.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 am Consciousness isn't that mysterious. It's just an epiphenomenon of brain function.
If that were so how can you know it's true?
stanky

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:24 am This is why people should study philosophy.

Juvenile bullshit I'd expect from a 16 year old who just watched The Matrix.
i come by it honestly, i guess.
haven't seen the matrix.

i saw that the place was dying. i made a controversial claim, knowing that's what it takes to get response.
the reaction was predictable enough that i could have written it.
and as usual, you're trashing my evidence-free hypothesis (that everything is made out of consciousness) without making a counter argument. Is it bitsy bricks?
to suggest that consciousness exists is o.k. To say that 'without it, there is nothing' isn't wrong...to suggest that it's the primordial cosmic ooze juice is hardly controversial...being as we don't know what it is.
I'm inclined to see it as an electro-magnetic force field that individual percievers tap into. even ants.

conventionally, there's no alternate realities; parallel universes; lucid dreaming and the like.
yet, hard science keeps finding that 'matter' isn't made of materials. it's comprised of events.

sparky, tell me what you think?
(other than i'm fulla shit)

what does "the evidence" tell you guys?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pmand as usual, you're trashing my evidence-free hypothesis (that everything is made out of consciousness) without making a counter argument. Is it bitsy bricks?
Because nothing has changed in the 300 years since Jonathan Swift said this:

You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place.
stanky wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pmI'm inclined to see it as an electro-magnetic force field that individual percievers tap into. even ants.
You've reminded me that I really need to re-post my Elmo ROFL gif, or at the very least find another hysterical laughing emoji.

May the Force be with you.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Stank, unless or until you offer evidence there's nothing to debate.

Simple as that.

Then you're all over an elusive em field that has gone unnoticed (magically I must say) since the time of James Clerk Maxwell.

Very very unlikely.

If you hurry, you can blame it on the invisible garden gnomes. But if you do, then I really will accuse you of being full of shit. :lol:
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:40 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 am Consciousness isn't that mysterious. It's just an epiphenomenon of brain function.
Because by altering or damaging brain function, you can change the perception of consciousness.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:33 pm
Because by altering or damaging brain function, you can change the perception of consciousness.
You missed the point.

How can one make the truth claim that consciousness is only an epiphenomenon of brain function? That would contradict itself.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:02 am

You missed the point.

How can one make the truth claim that consciousness is only an epiphenomenon of brain function? That would contradict itself.
It's not contradictory at all. Consciousness is simply what brains do.

It's my contention that all brains are conscious to one extent or another - that there is a continuum of consciousness from the simplest brains that fit the description to the most complex - ours. And I have more evidence for this proposition than stanky has for his.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:31 am
President Bush wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:02 am

You missed the point.

It's not contradictory at all. Consciousness is simply what brains do.
Soory, saying that "consciousness is simply what brains do" seems a pretty meaningless response to my criticism of the claim/belief that consciousness is just an epiphenomenon of brain function.

Epiphenomenalism isn't compatible with knowledge of our own mind so how in the world can you know or believe that epiphenomenalism is true?

Again, the idea that consciousness is just an epiphenomenon of brain function... why would you begin to believe an idea which directly implies you'd have no practical reason to believe it?