trump off the CO ballot

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: trump off the CO ballot

Post by Meadmaker »

Here's a link to the workshop that prompted the original article.

https://www.fema.gov/event/helping-lgbt ... iderations
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

And what the hell is going on with 60 Minutes:

Here's a right wing link that showed up in my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFl8VIgHJk&t=164s

What it shows is a clip from Face the Nation Sunday morning, and another clip from 60 Minute Sunday evening, both from the Kamala Harris interview.

It shows the same question from the interviewer, but the answers from the two clips are different.

I really don't get it. The right wing spin is that Harris' answer was so bad that CBS tried to help her by editing the clip. To me, that's not very likely. The "actual answer" shown on the video is kind of rambling, but it's hardly a devastatingly stupid answer. I know what she meant. She made her point. It wasn't an embarrassing answer, in my opinion.

But, it just completely destroys CBS' credibility. Just bad editing? Deliberate change? In the Fox News article, they suggested that maybe her total answer was longer than either clip, and they edited it twice, in two different ways.

It's being widely reported from a lot of credible sources. I just used the right wing link because it had the easiest to reach portion of the video. I only watched the first couple of minutes, so I assume they yapped on about it for a long time.

Trump himself is demanding an investigation. I'm not sure why he thinks someone, other than the press, ought to investigate. He's not really clear on this "law" thing.

This makes CBS look really stupid, and it doesn't do Kamala any favors.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:54 pm Here's a link to the workshop that prompted the original article.

Not sure how that is evidence for the claim that a FEMA policy statement alienates voters into choosing Donald Trump.
“the consistent and systematic fair, just, and impartial treatment of all individuals, including individuals who belong to underserved communities that have been denied such treatment, such as Black, Latino, and Indigenous and Native American persons, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and other persons of color; members of religious minorities; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI+) persons; persons with disabilities; persons who live in rural areas; and persons otherwise adversely affected by persistent poverty or inequality.”
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:56 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:54 pm Here's a link to the workshop that prompted the original article.

Not sure how that is evidence for the claim that a FEMA policy statement alienates voters into choosing Donald Trump.
It isn't. It's information.

There are only about six of us here, so it isn't all that likely anyone is interested, but it's conceivable somebody wanted to understand more about the discussion, so I provided information to make it easier to find out, or to not bother, if they weren't interested.

As an aside, one of the things I always do is, if I post a link, I always provide at least a brief description of what they will find if they follow that link. A lot of people don't like to click on links they know nothing about. Also, they might be somewhat interested, but not enough to follow links. By providing a description, I make it easy for people to skip the link, asssured that they really haven't missed much if it doesn't seem the link is worth their time. It's a practice I recommend everyone follow.

Speaking of which, here's another link:

https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-misl ... ck-1965094

The article I read referenced a Tweet. That tweet has now been seen about 20 million times. The link fact checks the tweet. Newsweek says it's out of context and misleading, and I agree with Newsweek.

As for how that Tweet, the articles about it, or the statements from FEMA websites help Donald Trump, To paraphrase James Carville, "It's the wokeness, stupid." That's why this election is undecided. Anything that reinforces the idea that the Democratic party in general, or Kamala Harris, specifically, can be described as "woke", helps Donald Trump at the ballot box.

Don't believe me? I don't know how I can convince you. You will have to remain skeptical.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:51 pm... thinks the past was wonderful ...
Nope.

I'd have no problem with being denied the vote anyway, because the future definitely isn't mine, but is my kids'.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I'd be ok with men losing the vote, at least for a while.
Especially Crackers.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:27 am
President Bush wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:56 pm

It isn't. It's information.

There are only about six of us here, so it isn't all that likely anyone is interested, but it's conceivable somebody wanted to understand more about the discussion, so I provided information to make it easier to find out, or to not bother, if they weren't interested.

As an aside, one of the things I always do is, if I post a link, I always provide at least a brief description of what they will find if they follow that link. A lot of people don't like to click on links they know nothing about. Also, they might be somewhat interested, but not enough to follow links. By providing a description, I make it easy for people to skip the link, asssured that they really haven't missed much if it doesn't seem the link is worth their time. It's a practice I recommend everyone follow.

Speaking of which, here's another link:

https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-misl ... ck-1965094

The article I read referenced a Tweet. That tweet has now been seen about 20 million times. The link fact checks the tweet. Newsweek says it's out of context and misleading, and I agree with Newsweek.

As for how that Tweet, the articles about it, or the statements from FEMA websites help Donald Trump, To paraphrase James Carville, "It's the wokeness, stupid." That's why this election is undecided. Anything that reinforces the idea that the Democratic party in general, or Kamala Harris, specifically, can be described as "woke", helps Donald Trump at the ballot box.

Don't believe me? I don't know how I can convince you. You will have to remain skeptical.
Being skeptical of an unproven claim is my default position. Especially when "information" referencing the unproven claim is an insanely-misleading tweet then a Newsweek article written about the insanely-misleading tweet.

Once again, you claim "statements from FEMA websites help Donald Trump". Here's the one we've been talking about:
“the consistent and systematic fair, just, and impartial treatment of all individuals, including individuals who belong to underserved communities that have been denied such treatment, such as Black, Latino, and Indigenous and Native American persons, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and other persons of color; members of religious minorities; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI+) persons; persons with disabilities; persons who live in rural areas; and persons otherwise adversely affected by persistent poverty or inequality.”
You call it "woke". To me, it looks like FEMA trying to address the reality that some individuals and communities are more vulnerable to disaster than others.

Taking offense at a FEMA policy to me isn't much different than thinking, what is it now... that Democrats manipulated Hurricane Helene to specifically target Republican voting districts in North Carolina. That thought is being promoted by Trump Republicans, same as your FEMA online bs.

OMG, speaking of weather, have you heard the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is reporting human-induced climate change as happening today? Global temperatures are increasing. Sea levels are rising. Glaciers are shrinking. Woke NOAA! Holy shit, that's going to make people vote for Donald Trump.

Used to be this was the kind of stuff people would self-publish in their mother's basement and staple to telephone poles. I'm glad you like it.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:30 pm You call it "woke". To me, it looks like FEMA trying to address the reality that some individuals and communities are more vulnerable to disaster than others.
Well, it is often the case that different people, and different voters, see things differently.

ETA: And by "see things differently, I mean from a different perspective. I'm not saying the way it looks to you is wrong.
Taking offense at a FEMA policy to me isn't much different than thinking, what is it now... that Democrats manipulated Hurricane Helene to specifically target Republican voting districts in North Carolina. That thought is being promoted by Trump Republicans, same as your FEMA online bs.

OMG, speaking of weather, have you heard the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is reporting human-induced climate change as happening today? Global temperatures are increasing. Sea levels are rising. Glaciers are shrinking. Woke NOAA! Holy shit, that's going to make people vote for Donald Trump.

Used to be this was the kind of stuff people would self-publish in their mother's basement and staple to telephone poles. I'm glad you like it.
And then we get into the "making shit up" part of the discussion.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:41 pm
President Bush wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:30 pm You call it "woke". To me, it looks like FEMA trying to address the reality that some individuals and communities are more vulnerable to disaster than others.
Well, it is often the case that different people, and different voters, see things differently.

ETA: And by "see things differently, I mean from a different perspective. I'm not saying the way it looks to you is wrong.

And then we get into the "making shit up" part of the discussion.
What part of this discussion isn't?

Maybe this.
Marge Greene, Brian Glenn, Alex Jones, and dozens of other right-wing conspiracy theorists with big followings have been posting away different versions of a theory that Democrats are sending destructive storms into majority Republican areas of the country to cause death and destruction and keep them from voting.

The problem has gotten so bad that Joe Biden, along with Republican Senators, Governors, Members of Congress and local officials have begged people to stop it because the lies are only adding stress to the lives of storm victims. Content moderation could stop the nonsense on Twitter, but the platform doesn't have that anymore with Musk in charge - who seems to enjoy rolling around in the cesspool he has created.

When Twitter user Vinod Khosla, with a huge following of over 600K people, implored Musk and Trump to make posts to their fans to tell them to knock it off, Musk simply laughed it off by claiming that it isn't happening, and if it is nobody would believe them. He is either being willfully blind to what is going on with his platform with disinformation, or he knows and simply doesn't care.

The responses to his reply show that his own statement is false. Hundreds of verified followers responded that they do, in fact, believe that the weather is being controlled - they only seemed to differ on which government agencies were doing it and what their motives were.

Musk Claimed That Nobody Says Dems Control the Weather. His Followers Disagreed
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Another weird aspect of our society:

I've seen several news articles go across my news feed today about that 60 Minutes interview with Kamala Harris, and the "scandal" about the editing.

I can't even tell if this is a big story that anyone cares about. Am I seeing the stories because someone decided it's worthwhile news that people are interested in and should know about, or am I seeing these stories because I clicked on one of them, so MSN is deciding I would like more of these fringe, irrelevant, articles.

Despite Trump's declaration that it is the biggest scandal in journalism history, it doesn't seem all that important to me. I think it's a real black eye for CBS, but it's hardly a scandal.