Headlines that signal that the story will be misleading and/or stupid

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Headlines that signal that the story will be misleading and/or stupid

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:58 pm If she has such an advantage, why did she lose so many times against other female boxers?
She's a crap boxer would be my best guess. I've tried to find video of her actually boxing, but good luck with that. I'm picking that if she didn't have the testosterone advantage she wouldn't have made a boxing team anywhere. It's not entirely a strength sport, or even a size sport - go ask the gigantic Tyson Fury after he lost to a pumped-up cruiserweight in Oleksandr Usyk.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:58 pm If she has such an advantage, why did she lose so many times against other female boxers?
Most of her losses were early in her career. Check out what she has done lately.

At the 2021 Olympics, she lost to the eventual gold medalist, and there was one tournament where she won silver in 2022. Other than that, it has been all gold.
stanky

Post by stanky »

doesn't seem like good sportsmanship to work this angle for a competitive advantage.
reminds me of 'cheating'.

that the reverse situation is non-existent should be instructive.
can't imagine the balls it takes to become a spectacle in sports this way.
it's not very heart-warming.

surgical enhancement is an area that deserves the same sort of scrutiny as chemical enhancement.
i've heard that surgeons can make a better elbow for pitching. from an ok elbow. Like, cosmetic surgery.

Litigation will become The Big Sport.
with an eye for attire
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:41 am doesn't seem like good sportsmanship to work this angle for a competitive advantage.
reminds me of 'cheating'.
For what it's worth, she played by the rules, so I wouldn't say she cheated in any way. I don't even think it's fair to say she "worked this angle" for anything. She just boxed. However, she happened to have a competitive advantage that was not available to the other boxers, no matter what they did.

Whether or not it's a good idea to allow such a person to compete in the women's division is a diferent question. My opinion, based on the fragmentary knowledge available to me, is that she shouldn't, but I won't say that this opinion is unquestionable or without problems. There's no single obvious answer. This isn't even a situation like Lia Thomas, where my opinion is Hell No. It's just an awkward situation. From all accounts, she has what appear to be girl bits and had every reason to believe she was a perfectly ordinary girl....until.......we don't know when. It is entirely possible that the first time she was aware of any genetic or developmental abnormality was when she was disqualified by the IBA. It's also entirely possible she knew some time before then. We really don't know what she knew or when she knew it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:04 pmWe really don't know what she knew or when she knew it.
Short of growing up in a cave, intersex people become aware of their status at puberty, if they didn't already know. They don't have periods, for starters and do start growing facial hair and developing male physiques.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:32 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:04 pmWe really don't know what she knew or when she knew it.
Short of growing up in a cave, intersex people become aware of their status at puberty, if they didn't already know. They don't have periods, for starters and do start growing facial hair and developing male physiques.
So I would assume, but I've read of cases of people finding out that their reproductive organs aren't female after they submitted to examinations to find out why they weren't getting pregnant despite being married for a long time.

Is it possible there's a lot of ignorance among people who live in the mountains of Algeria? I think that's only one step up from a cave. (And throw enough Koran teachings into it, and it might be one step down from a cave when it comes to accurate sexual information.)
stanky

Post by stanky »

i'm titillated now.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

It might surprise you to know that Algeria is a major exporter of petroleum and petroleum products, in 2023 its estimated GDP was US$224.10 billion, and this year the World Bank reclassified it as an upper-middle-income country.

"One step up from a cave" is insultingly inaccurate.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:57 am It might surprise you to know that Algeria is a major exporter of petroleum and petroleum products, in 2023 its estimated GDP was US$224.10 billion, and this year the World Bank reclassified it as an upper-middle-income country.

"One step up from a cave" is insultingly inaccurate.
Let's think about this. Mountains of Algeria. Hmmm.....I'm guessing that maybe up in the mountains of this Islamic nation, subtleties of sex education aren't highest on the priority list. Just a guess.

But is there anything else that might lead me to think that, maybe, Algeria is wallowing in ignorance on this subject?

Well, let's try this quote from her coach:
Now her coach, Georges Cazorla, has confirmed that the tests identified 'a problem with hormones' and 'with chromosomes', suggesting that she may have the XY gender chromosomes typical of a man.

'This poor young girl was devastated, devastated to suddenly discover that she might not be a girl,' he told French magazine Le Point.
Note: Her coach. Not J. K. Rowling. Not anybody Russian. Not a right wing media outlet. Her coach.

The tests confirmed there was a problem "with chromosomes", and that "she might not be a girl"

At age 23.

ETA: And I find it just bizarre that I have seen a huge number of articles, including the Le Point interview noted above, where someone says, "She is definitely a woman.", but when citing the evidence for that, the evidence is "She was raised as a girl."

If they said, "She has periods", or "She has a uterus", I would be convinced that she is a biological female despite being XY. As it is, she is definitely a woman, for some, but not all, definitions of "woman".
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Source please.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.