Planet America

Start here
President Bush

Re: Planet America

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:14 am
Admin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:31 pm What astonishes me is that Trump is even being mentioned as a contender for next year, let alone a realistic chance of winning.

I fear for you guys if he somehow won.
If I had to place a bet today on who would win the 2024 election, I would pick Trump.

That's not what I want, but it's what I think will happen.

I don't think Joe Biden can beat Trump, although I might be pleasantly surprised.

A lot can happen between now and then. It will be interesting to see if Chris Christie goes full attack dog on him, and if so how it affects Trump. Someone has to, but it has to be someone from the right, and someone who isn't too intellectual about it.

Factors working for Trump:

Joe Biden is old, in poor health, and experiencing obvious cognitive decline.
People really don't understand the "culture war" issues, and how it affects people in the center of the political spectrum. Overall, It favors Republicans. The Democrats need another Sistah Soulja moment, but I'm not sure it will happen.
The GOP rules favor frontrunners, so unless something happens to cause defections before people start voting in New Hampshire, Trump will have unstoppable momentum.

Factors against Trump: The not quite as stupid wing of the GOP (example: Liz Cheney) really does see just how bad Trump is for the country, and some of them might defect to Anyone But Trump, even if that's Joe Biden. Of course, very few will defect, but with the electoral politics the way they are, 1% is a hell of a lot of voters.
While there are no pro-choice GOP politicians left, there are some pro-choice GOP voters. Again, if the votes are divided in half, 1% is a lot.

A weird thing that could go either way is that lots of people, especially Trump voters, didn't like the lockdowns and anti-pandemic measures. A few of his rivals, especially DeSantis, are starting to point out that Trump was in charge when the "bad" things were happening. I think it's a fair cop, personally.

Personally, I think Trump should be seen as an embarrassment and a joke, but in the current climate, I can see him winning, easily.
If Trump is the Republican candidate his presence will probably ensure the Democratics maintaining the Senate. Though I doubt he´ll be their candidate, he is already in too much trouble with the latest indictment. That he personally owns national security secrets and can do with them as he wants seems a ludicrous defense.

Not to say he won´t run as a third part candidate if he can. That leaves either DeSantis (very dour guy) or Christie (very entertaining guy) for the Republicans.

Likewise, I don´t think Biden will be the candidate for the Democrats, might be be one of the govenors from the Midwest.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:02 pm
If Trump is the Republican candidate his presence will probably ensure the Democratics maintaining the Senate. Though I doubt he´ll be their candidate, he is already in too much trouble with the latest indictment.
From the voters' perspective, I don't think his latest indictment is very significant.

If he is convicted, then it might be a problem for him electorally, but depending on how things go down, it might even help him by validating the view of Trump as victim of the left wing deep state/mainstream media conspiracy.

He'll lose a handful of votes from people who really jumped on the bandwagon of the "but her emails" days. Some, but only a very small fraction, will notice the obvious discrepancy. However, I've already heard Republican talking heads spinning it as proof of the conspiracy. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton both abused classified documents (so the story goes) but Hillary got off scot free while Trump is prosecuted. Deep state! Weaponized Justice Department!

It's hard to say how real votes will take this. I think that unless the prosecution can convince the American people that what Donald Trump did was not just a violation of the law, but a real compromise of national security, it's a net gain for Trump.

But maybe I'm just pessimistic.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Only one side came out of that well.

No guns though.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

A member of South Dakota’s House of Representatives went on a podcast and claimed that Mount Rushmore is a “freemason shrine” and a portal for demonic entities to enter and spread communism throughout the country.

https://www.wvnstv.com/news/national-ne ... communism/
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/stat ... 7491060736
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And isn't it sad when he's not even the craziest of them.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:42 am
A member of South Dakota’s House of Representatives went on a podcast and claimed that Mount Rushmore is a “freemason shrine” and a portal for demonic entities to enter and spread communism throughout the country.

https://www.wvnstv.com/news/national-ne ... communism/
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/stat ... 7491060736
That would explain why Roosevelt is on there. He really doesn't fit with the others.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Flight end of this week, maybe the not-real motherfucker will be on the plane...

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mo ... 962468.mp4
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Classy chick
grayman

Post by grayman »

5 people dead, 2 children injured in mass shooting in Philadelphia

The two wounded victims were hospitalized in stable condition. One is a 2-year-old boy and the other a 13-year-old boy, according to police.

I used to enjoy the 4th of July stuff.

Today I'm just going to barbecue some ribs...but I was planning on that regardless the date.

This country is so fucked.