Planet America

Start here
stanky

Re: Planet America

Post by stanky »

i must admit, i'm rarely around people lately. Yet, we're collectively smarter just by the tech up-dates over generations.
sparks

Post by sparks »

stanky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 am i must admit, i'm rarely around people lately. Yet, we're collectively smarter just by the tech up-dates over generations.
How did you arrive at that conclusion stank? "Smarter because of tech updates?" You'll have to explain that one to me.

Refining tech over generations and even inventing new tech and pursuing those requires brains to begin with. They don't make us smarter. Case in point: Tell that nonsense to the woman who thought she could dry off her poodle in the fucking microwave oven.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:32 am
My biggest complaint with modern education is this: Students are learning facts and points of interest in the various disciplines, but no one is teaching them how to think.

Critical thinking ought to be a requirement in school. And not just one bloody class in high school, but from grade school on.
In talking to educators in the last few years, I was surprised to learn that, actually, teaching critical thinking is a huge, probably primary, goal in all subject matter these days, at least at the high school level. It is considered far more important than teaching mere facts.

I don't think it's working.
stanky

Post by stanky »

sparks wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:48 am
stanky wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 am i must admit, i'm rarely around people lately. Yet, we're collectively smarter just by the tech up-dates over generations.
How did you arrive at that conclusion stank? "Smarter because of tech updates?" You'll have to explain that one to me.

Refining tech over generations and even inventing new tech and pursuing those requires brains to begin with. They don't make us smarter. Case in point: Tell that nonsense to the woman who thought she could dry off her poodle in the fucking microwave oven.
it meant that, thanks to the telescope, modern types needn't waste time with obsolete 'facts' about the heavens. And because of cameras and the printing press, and now, the internet we can all see a picture of the moon's surface. We aren't as ignorant as we once were, in this regard.

Here's the vid i saw about the history of i.q. Gets good around 18 mins in; using i.q. tests for genetic controls; army requirements and why they had to be relaxed, etc. It's veritasium, usually fairly credible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKPsLx ... Veritasium
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Let's not forget this:

We've arranged a society based on science and technology, in which nobody understands anything about science technology. And this combustible mixture of ignorance and power, sooner or later, is going to blow up in our faces.

Carl Sagan, 21/5/2011
sparks

Post by sparks »

Admin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 am Let's not forget this:

We've arranged a society based on science and technology, in which nobody understands anything about science technology. And this combustible mixture of ignorance and power, sooner or later, is going to blow up in our faces.

Carl Sagan, 21/5/2011
Indeed. Thanks for bringing Dr. Sagan's observation back. It ought to be on refrigerator magnets and bumper stickers. Presidential candidates must have it permanently inked on their foreheads so they can read it every time they look in a mirror.

Not that this would benefit Mango Mussolini any as we've already determined he's functionally illiterate.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I have been trying to come up with a better illustration of the issues I have with Americans today, and after rejecting a few ideas I settled on the pandemic. The only problem with that one is that I'm not sure this is a uniquely American phenomenon.

Was our response to the pandemic good?
Was it bad, but seemed good based on the best information available at the time?
Was it good, but was carried too far or too long?
Was it just rotten to the core right out of the gate?
What should be policy toward Covid 19 going forward, both for individuals, and governments?

If I'm being honest, the answer to all of those questions is, "I don't know."

Moreover, that's the answer most people ought to give. Meanwhile, people in media and government ought to be researching to provide a more informed answer. However, that's not what is happening. What is happening is that right wing media outlets are saying the lcokdowns were bad, leftist, ideas. Left wing media outlets are bascally saying it's yesterday's news. When they mention it at all, it's to deride some right wing comment on it.

In the heat of the moment it's understandable that judgements were made rapidly and based on incomplete information, but it's the kind of thing that really ought to be investigated scientifically. There is, actually, a right answer.

I saw a Bill Maher commentary recently. One of the elements of it was to ask, "Why isn't there a presidential commission on Covid 19?" It's a good question. In general, why isn't there a high profile body, either in Congress, or as a presidential commission, attempting to gather and analyze data on the disease itself, on the response to it, on the vaccines, on everything related to Covid 19. It was one of the biggest events since World War II. It had huge impacts on everyone. Surely such a thing should be studied, and not just in the halls of academia.

The thing is, no one really wants to do such an investigation. Instead, both in media and government, people want to simply make their pronouncements. There's no need to figure out what is and is not reality. Different factions have diferent narratives, and they will push those narratives. Truth? It's not really a thing.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:41 am
sparks wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:32 am
My biggest complaint with modern education is this: Students are learning facts and points of interest in the various disciplines, but no one is teaching them how to think.

Critical thinking ought to be a requirement in school. And not just one bloody class in high school, but from grade school on.
In talking to educators in the last few years, I was surprised to learn that, actually, teaching critical thinking is a huge, probably primary, goal in all subject matter these days, at least at the high school level. It is considered far more important than teaching mere facts.

I don't think it's working.
The last few years? Give it time. Those kids are still in school. In ten years the kids who learned critical thinking will be becoming productive members of society, and that's when you'll be able to see whether it's working or not.
stanky

Post by stanky »

"productive member of society" is a loaded phrase.
if society is sick, productivity is a spreader of sickness.
but let's say it's not sick...within that framework, criminals and sick people are productive. they create the need for the fulfilling jobs, in criminal justice, law, surgery, lab technician, etc.

co-dependents; the cops and the robbers.
if someone finds a cure for cancer, how will someone find a cure for cancer? all those dreams and careers shattered because of that genius cure. the symbiosis is strangely under the radar.

do gooder types need bad to do good at. we'll need new diseases regularly to keep up with all the health care workers.
would people ever try to use pathogens against their enemies?

we need a new math regarding death. to say that something "saved x number of lives" is misleading. The length of the saved part should be factored in. At best, a med might postpone death. Sometimes, not much. Other times, in rough shape. there has to be a factor to include all that, for much chance of decent analyses regarding pandemic response among other medical interventions.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 am "productive member of society" is a loaded phrase.
if society is sick, productivity is a spreader of sickness.
but let's say it's not sick...within that framework, criminals and sick people are productive. they create the need for the fulfilling jobs, in criminal justice, law, surgery, lab technician, etc.

co-dependents; the cops and the robbers.
if someone finds a cure for cancer, how will someone find a cure for cancer? all those dreams and careers shattered because of that genius cure. the symbiosis is strangely under the radar.

do gooder types need bad to do good at. we'll need new diseases regularly to keep up with all the health care workers.
would people ever try to use pathogens against their enemies?

we need a new math regarding death. to say that something "saved x number of lives" is misleading. The length of the saved part should be factored in. At best, a med might postpone death. Sometimes, not much. Other times, in rough shape. there has to be a factor to include all that, for much chance of decent analyses regarding pandemic response among other medical interventions.
Reminded me somewhat of the concept of illth which I remembered as having come from Buckminster Fuller. Looked it up again, turns out it was from this guy.