Planet America

Start here
President Bush

Re: Planet America

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm Adults screw up everything.
Kids can work it out; duke it out, even.
When the 'grown-ups' get involved, the kids learn how to be just like them.

deceptive, petty, hypocritical, cruel and boring.
good thing they wear reasonable clothes.

something uglier generally emerges from suppressed expression.
doesn't it? we don't sing in the streets or sleep on the beaches or celebrate color, lest it upset someone. Yet, we're the bully of the world.
It just got way more complicated...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6NXGXLN ... 9jdQ%3D%3D
stanky

Post by stanky »

it's actually a lot of fun to bark.
dogs find it pretty funny.

it has to be sincere
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pmOh yeah. I read that article.

He (Seth Sorenson) was lying.
Oh, well that settles that then. :roll:
What settles it is the evidence that can be found on the internet.

After I read the article you posted, and another one from the same day, I posted my previous posts that said something very weird was happening, either really bad behavior, or mass hysteria. After some further digging, I concluded it was really bad behavior.

Everyone will, of course, deny everything. The school will say that since the most extreme descriptions of what was going on were false, then everything about the story is false. That's basically what Sorenson did in his statements quoted in the article.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

As if on cue, here' Politifact:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... hool-allo/

Among other things, here's a quote:

"We found no clear evidence that any students at Mount Nebo Middle School identify as furries, or people with an interest in depictions of anthropomorphic, cartoon animals. A parent who said her daughter was at the center of the controversy told a news organization her child isn’t a furry".

Suppose, instead, that it had read like this:

"We found no clear evidence that any students at Mount Nebo Middle School identify as furries, or people with an interest in depictions of anthropomorphic, cartoon animals. A parent who said her daughter was at the center of the controversy told a news organization that although her child and a group of friends made and wore animal masks at school, her child isn’t a furry".

Both versions would be true.

Suppose it had also included something like, "Although there is video that shows a girl running on all fours and barking, chasing another student, a parent who said her daughter was at the center of the controversy said it appeared to her that the kids were playing a game."

That, too, would be true.

What isn't clear is exactly the nature of the game. Was the girl who was being chased by the barking girl a voluntary participant in the game? I've seen the video and can determine no clear answer. However, multiple students report that they experienced similar treatment when they were not willing participants.

The politifact article specifically mentions Megyn Kelly.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Why do you care?
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 pm Why do you care?
The same reason any of us do. Like, say, you. Why do you think you care?

We're interested in something about a story, and we want our version to be acknowledged as the correct one

More specifically, on this specific story, I often take an interest in any story that I see where the reported facts don't add up to me. I first saw Megyn Kelly's version, and posted here "I smell a rat." But as I tried to verify that her version of events was false, what I actually found was that the school's version was false.

And yet, here we are, with American media "fact checkers" uncritically passing along information that is verifiably false.

Yes, I find that interesting. More than interesting, I find it, in some way, important. Truth matters. But to far too many Americans, it doesn't.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Okay, that's a fair answer. I was just wondering if you had some kind of axe to grind with regards to furries, but if it's just truth you're after and you would have been just as concerned if the story were about kids smoking, that's pretty reasonable, in my opinion.
stanky

Post by stanky »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:35 am Okay, that's a fair answer. I was just wondering if you had some kind of axe to grind with regards to furries, but if it's just truth you're after and you would have been just as concerned if the story were about kids smoking, that's pretty reasonable, in my opinion.
you put words in his mouth there. unless i missed something.
almost all news these days is fair game, if rooting out truth is the goal.
i smell a rat in this meta-furry analyses.

and now there's no one left to trust.

hey! how about our (U.S.) supreme court trying to decide if presidents are royal?
That's a hoot.
They say the democracy's fate is hinged by one vote.
Too fragile then, let 'em stuff it.

fascinating science news about viruses as junk dna that isn't junk afterall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlnRSC ... ntonPetrov
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am you put words in his mouth there. unless i missed something.
I don't think so.

I mean, if there was a politically charged analysis about kids smoking, and something didn't add up to me, I would investigate it.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Sorry, but as a bullied kid myself, I am particularly sensitive to the reasons kids bully other kids. In the most progressive capital city in Australia, a kid wearing a cat-ear headband probably wouldn't be bullied - in fact they might be seen as pretty cool. But in conservative middle America, "furry" has become one of the rightist outrage-of-the-week culture wars, and I give it the same amount of derision as I do the Potato Head outrage, the Green M&M outrage, and the Dr Seuss outrage. Utterly ridiculous, and a way to deflect attention from the things that are really threatening America, like the slow dismantling of democracy by Republican lawmakers.

Maybe spend a little less time complaining that kids are furries and more that someone whose stated intention is to turn America into a dictatorship has a real chance of getting re-elected this year.