Planet America

Start here
stanky

Re: Planet America

Post by stanky »

Meadmaker wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am
stanky wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am you put words in his mouth there. unless i missed something.
I don't think so.

I mean, if there was a politically charged analysis about kids smoking, and something didn't add up to me, I would investigate it.
good to know.

(I never encounter any of this stuff, other than the internet. as far as i know, everyone gets bullied. Or, they use to. Just for being alive. Being a kid is like having an obvious handicap...if only one's small size. Big kids beat me up frequently, for no particular reason. They stole my Halloween candy; shoved me on the ice; pulled my pants down; and so forth. It was normal. Nothing personal about it. If you squeeled on them, you'd be in for a rough time. It's a reasonable system, actually. Very mammalian.)
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am
stanky wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am you put words in his mouth there. unless i missed something.
I don't think so.

I mean, if there was a politically charged analysis about kids smoking, and something didn't add up to me, I would investigate it.
good to know.

(I never encounter any of this stuff, other than the internet. as far as i know, everyone gets bullied. Or, they use to. Just for being alive. Being a kid is like having an obvious handicap...if only one's small size. Big kids beat me up frequently, for no particular reason. They stole my Halloween candy; shoved me on the ice; pulled my pants down; and so forth. It was normal. Nothing personal about it. If you squeeled on them, you'd be in for a rough time. It's a reasonable system, actually. Very mammalian.)
Ahhh....those were the days.

That sort of casual violence isn't tolerated anymore, and I would say that's a good thing.

And yet.....some of it still happens, and people find other ways to bully each other. Modern bullies especially like to pretend to be victims.

I was totally appalled at an incident in my kid's school when he was in seventh grade, and the reaction to it when I described it to educators I knew socially. Short version, my kid shoved back against a bully, and ended up getting in trouble.

When I told my friends, the teachers, about the incident, they all agreed that he should have gone straight to the teacher when the other kid started the bullying.

"What? Are you crazy? He can't do that!"

They truly didn't understand why not. Teachers these days are clueless.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Yep, I was bullied extensively at school - rarely physically, though that did happen, but verbally and psychologically. It made me into a human that was scared to put his head up because of the fear that if I did, words of abuse would follow, or occasionally a small rock. I did band and theatre, where I could mask and become the centre of attention for limited controlled periods, and then at home I spent my time in pursuits solitary. As an adult I have social anxiety and ochlophobia. What I would have been like if I hadn't been bullied, I don't know.

Bullying definitely affects kids in a negative way. It should never be dismissed.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
stanky

Post by stanky »

damn...

gotta look up 'ochiophobia'.

i'm grateful for my bullies. They taught me stealth. Made me strong. bullies stopped.
Never made me want to be one. nor was their intent very deep.

odd that america evidently wants a bully in the white house.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Here's another one that makes my ears go up and wonder what's being left out.

I'm amazed by meaningless statements and condescending messages from school officials. There's a tone of the messages that drives me crazy. However, on with the story.

Our story so far:

Pennbrook Middle School, North Wales, Pennsylvania,

A seventh grade student, who we will call student A, is eating lunch, when another student at the middle school, whom we will call student B, enters the lunch room holding a "Stanley Cup". It's not a hockey trophy. It's a large, heavy, metal drinking vessel. Student B approaches student from behind and starts beating student A's head with the Stanley Cup, and baning student A's head on the table. It only goes on for a period of seconds until the security guards separate them. There is a lot of blood. Student A is rushed to the hospital. Student B, 13 years old, is arrested. The school is locked down, including students not allowed to leave the lunchroom, as they watch staff mop up the blood.

Ok. A few more details.

It was said that student B had a "hit list" of students to beat up. Student A was on the top of the list.

Student C, who was a friend of student A and was said to be second on the list, had reported the threats to school staff, who assured student C that they were safe, and that no attacks would happen.

The principal issues an email to parents:
Nick Taylor, Pennbrook Middle School principal, sent a letter to parents saying that, “the safety of our students is of the utmost importance… I ask that "parents speak with their children about the consequences of fighting.”
In case you haven't already guessed, student B, the attacker, is transgender. Student A is a (cisgender) girl. The local major media has not reported anything about the gender of the attacker. Like I did above, the news reports carefully said, "a student", and similar neutral words.

I look at the statement from the principal, and I say, "WTF?????????????" But that's where I'm different from some other people. I assume that there has to be something missing, because how could a principal be that stupid? To act as if this was something that all students need to remember? This wasn't a fight. Student B snuck up behind and started beating on a girl without any warning. How could a principal possibly say this?

So....either the principal is a first rate doofus.....or maybe this wasn't an out of the blue attack. Maybe there was some fighting previously, or some verbal sparring at least?

One more thing. Student B had been at the school for either 2 or 3 days. How does "she" form a hit list that quickly?

So, it's all speculation, but something isn't adding up, and I'm curious about it. It doesn't really matter, much. Regardless of what went on, beating people on the head with Stanley cups is not acceptable, and "Mel", short for "Melanie", the (current) name of Student B, deserves some time in a nice juvenile facility. With free psychological counseling and maybe medication thrown in for free.

I'm going to speculate that the people on the "hit list", were girls that objected to Mel's presence in the girls' bathroom, and that there was some form of confrontation before the attack.

Either that, or the principal is a doofus.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

About the only thing you can say honestly about that situation is "we don't know everything". In fact, we know very little.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 am About the only thing you can say honestly about that situation is "we don't know everything". In fact, we know very little.
True.

But when we read a news story, we fill in details in our mind's eye. Then, something comes along that doesn't fit. In this case, similar to the furry case, the principal's statement doesn't fit to me. That piques my curiosity.

Also like the last case, we might never know. That's ok, because maybe we don't need to know the goings on of some 11 year old girls.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

The bizarre nature of the principal's letter has an explanation. It was a form letter.

With that, there's nothing really mysterious about the case. I'm sure if there are new developments of interest, the YouTube algorithm will inform me.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

It's kind of sad that they have a boilerplate on standby for when this sort of thing happens. Not if, when.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:43 pm It's kind of sad that they have a boilerplate on standby for when this sort of thing happens. Not if, when.
I was thinking the same thing.

I suspect that there's a method behind that madness, though. I suspect they are deathly afraid of lawsuits, and the boilerplate versions have been vetted by lawyers, with instructions about what things are ok to put in when filling in the blanks.