Re: Planet America

Post by grayman »

One way of dealing with white supremacists:

https://youtu.be/YgtmDlUDUfM
grayman

Post by grayman »

JFC.

This would be such an awesome country if it wasn't for all the asshole politicians that have turned it into a place where this sort of thing happens daily:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/12-ye ... e/3258388/
stanky

Post by stanky »

i'd guess it's just getting started.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:25 pm JFC.

This would be such an awesome country if it wasn't for all the asshole politicians that have turned it into a place where this sort of thing happens daily:

I just saw that story.

Any other place in the entire universe would say it's time to stop doing what you're doing. The sickness is getting worse and there's no end to it.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

grayman wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:25 pm JFC.

Well that's pretty messed up.

As it usually is with America and guns.

But......why was the 20 year old charged with murder? Unless he provided the gun to the 12 year old, in which case it would seem quite appropriate to charge the 20 year old.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

And I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but why is it so hard for so many Americans to figure out that people who have guns think about what they might do with those guns, and that sort of ideation makes people more likely to actually use the gun.

So, the lady who buys a little pistol for personal protection thinks about being attacked, pulling out the gun and shooting someone trying to assault her, and so she's more likely to react to an assailant by shooting....which wouldn't be all that bad, except sometimes she doesn't take the time to confirm that the person approaching her is actually an assailant.

The valiant homeowner who will damned sure defend his family by whatever means necessary doesn't take the time to realize that his teenage son snuck out of the house and is sneaking back in.

And the 12 year old moron imagines himself as the toughest guy on the block because he has an AR-15, and so he uses it on someone who doesn't give him and his friends the proper "respect" which is what I'm pretty sure was going on in this case.

It's not like this is hard to figure out. People who have guns are likely to think about using them. People who think about using them sometimes use them. "Using" guns usually means killing someone, or trying to. I just don't understand why people can't see that's what's happening.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Because their right to carry a gun is more important than somebody getting shot and killed somewhere else. People die everyday in car accidents for instance. What can you do? Shrug.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Strike the 2nd ammendment from the books and then go on a house to house search...
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

The Surprising Geography of Gun Violence

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00092413
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 pmI wonder if an educational campaign might help. I can see PSA commercials saying, "No....it's not ok to shoot people just because you think they might be bad. That guy you saw on youtube saying what he would do if anyone ever (fill in the blank) is just an asshole shooting off his mouth. If you actually shoot someone, you are probably going to go to jail. Does that seem unfair? We don't care because you're a moron anyway."

Maybe the marketing department can think of a better way to phrase it.
I think (and have expressed on ISF before) that a long-term educational marketing blitz will be an absolutely essential component of the solution to America's gun problem, but it is not the only one. No effective gun control will work without popular support. America has to convince a majority of its population that they neither want nor need guns, and that's going to be a very hard sell. Education is the way to address the "want" part. You still have to address the "need" part though, and that's going to be tricky too.