Planet America

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: Planet America

Post by Meadmaker »

I just read the indictment in USA v. Trump.

I think a conviction is impossible, with a hung jury being the most likely outcome.

He won't even have to plead an insanity defense, which ought to be his only legal option. The trial ought to go like this:

Lawyer: "Your honor.....ladies and gentlement of the jury....my client is so delusional he really believes he won. I call Donald J. Trump to testify."

Bailiff: "Do you swear, etc....."

Asshole: "Why should I? T'm the only one telling the truth. See those stupid guys over there. Liars. Low IQ. And that one? She's ugly. Not my type at all. Yeah, she wants me, but not a chance baby! You're fired. I want a new lawyer!"

Judge: "Request denied"

Lawyer: "See, your honor, this dude is nuts."

Judge: "Good point. Directed verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity. Next!"

Instead, I think he'll end up President again.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:04 am Instead, I think he'll end up President again.
The latest polls sure show him as a genuine prospect.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... t-general/

Terrifyingly funny prospect.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I think he's a shoe in for the Republican nomination. The majority of the Republicans actually want someone else, but their process is skewed to favor the front-runner. The people who don't want Trump aren't going to all coalesce behind anyone else. By the time enough people drop out of the race to remove Trump from first place among Republicans, he will have a lock on the nomination.

The RNC, who almost certainly don't want Trump, could change the rules to make things less favorable for the front runner. However, if they do that Trump claims that they are conspiring against him (which, to be fair, they probably are) and runs as an independent, or just tells his supporters to stay home. Either way, he siphons off enough votes to guarantee Joe Biden's win. So, the RNC is faced with a choice: Guarantee a Trump nomination, or guarantee a Republican loss ,

A lot can happen between now and next November, but i don't see a path that ends up in anything except a Trump-Biden rematch.

I'm not extremely confident in predicting the outcome of that rematch, but my gut says that Trump wins that contest, at least in the electoral college.

At least, that's the way I see it. I hope I'm wrong.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:26 am I think he's a shoe in for the Republican nomination.
Sadly, that appears to be the case.
Meadmaker wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:26 amA lot can happen between now and next November, but i don't see a path that ends up in anything except a Trump-Biden rematch.
I agree with that, too, and it's an indictment on the Dumbocrats that they have no alternative. Biden isn't disastrous, but he's hardly compos mentis.

The contest appears to be between a senile old fart and a crazy old cunt. At this stage, I don't think it makes much difference who wins, unless you're Ukraine.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

If Trump wins I can miss living in the US even less.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:46 am If Trump wins I can miss living in the US even less.
One of the basic conceits that a lot of Americans seem to have is that the shit that happens in America doesn't affect other countries, so we shouldn't worry too much about it. But that is absolutely wrong. America aggressively exports its culture worldwide, and what happens in America inevitably spills out into the rest of the world.

So yeah. Trump winning in 2024 would be a big deal for everybody.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:32 am
President Bush wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:46 am If Trump wins I can miss living in the US even less.
One of the basic conceits that a lot of Americans seem to have is that the shit that happens in America doesn't affect other countries, so we shouldn't worry too much about it. But that is absolutely wrong. America aggressively exports its culture worldwide, and what happens in America inevitably spills out into the rest of the world.

Wasn´t aware of having said any of that.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Bad post.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:47 am

Didn't say you did.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:50 am
President Bush wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:47 am

Didn't say you did.
US does have its share of comedians...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7P1YwMnWxQ

If Trump can show he believed his own lies he'll be acquitted. That´s funny.