Planet America

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Planet America

Post by arthwollipot »

You genuinely think Trump is literally illiterate?
sparks

Post by sparks »

Did not say that.

But I would say 'functionally illiterate'.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I'm the functionally illiterate one, being as the new literacy is tied to the smart phone. And i don't use one.
Truly, I see some folk that i know are illiterate in the old sense, but they all can work their devices. They can send pictures and record stuff and use voice to print stuff if need be. Now they can really get around. Siri can get them to the airport. They can manage all sorts of modern living due to the tech. Their handicap is unnoticeable. Mine (being computer dumb) is noticeable and limiting. We got to see the switch happen, being as we knew these folk 30 years ago, before the internet, their illiteracy still had relevance. And i was about to stumble in to a new version.

Trump can probably work the phone.
Some big shots probably have assistants to do all of it.
There were movie stars that couldn't dial a phone.

I get the feeling that Trump is just a big brash guy with more ego than smarts and that it doesn't matter because it reflects our society better because the whole thing is Trump-like. It's all big and brash and hyped to hell and teetering on the edge, trying to get it while you can. Or, at least it looks that way if you're driving through it. The soul's been squeezed out of it. For a buck. It's hideous.
(bless its heart)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:37 pmBut people don't read books for fun...
Which is a tragedy.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am
arthwollipot wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:37 pmBut people don't read books for fun...
Which is a tragedy.
Indeed.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am I get the feeling that Trump is just a big brash guy with more ego than smarts and that it doesn't matter because it reflects our society better because the whole thing is Trump-like. It's all big and brash and hyped to hell and teetering on the edge, trying to get it while you can. Or, at least it looks that way if you're driving through it. The soul's been squeezed out of it. For a buck. It's hideous.
(bless its heart)
Far more truth to this than I wish.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 pm
stanky wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am I get the feeling that Trump is just a big brash guy with more ego than smarts and that it doesn't matter because it reflects our society better because the whole thing is Trump-like. It's all big and brash and hyped to hell and teetering on the edge, trying to get it while you can. Or, at least it looks that way if you're driving through it. The soul's been squeezed out of it. For a buck. It's hideous.
(bless its heart)
Agreed with both stank and Mead. Sorry to say. It's not a lot of fun feeling this way but I see no way around it at this time. We are (USA!USA!) a nation of unenlightened self serving fools and idiots. I fear it will get much much worse before it can begin to get better. Just as with prejudice, religious nonsense, so goes greed and the dumbth of willful ignorance. That is, the current generation or five will have to die out, taking the dumbth with them.

I doubt any of us will be around to see this happen. The fresh crop of stupid is legion.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 pm
(bless its heart)
Agreed with both stank and Mead. Sorry to say. It's not a lot of fun feeling this way but I see no way around it at this time. We are (USA!USA!) a nation of unenlightened self serving fools and idiots. I fear it will get much much worse before it can begin to get better. Just as with prejudice, religious nonsense, so goes greed and the dumbth of willful ignorance. That is, the current generation or five will have to die out, taking the dumbth with them.

I doubt any of us will be around to see this happen. The fresh crop of stupid is legion.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2NJWnbs ... A0bTNtazE4
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 pm
(bless its heart)

Over the decades of my life, I've grown to appreciate American cockiness. American brashness.

What has changed over the years is the "unenlightened" part. We're morons. Collectively, we can't tell reality from fantasy. When John Kennedy said, "Let's go the moon!", America got to work, paid taxes, and started a big push to teach math. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, America said, "Now you're pissing us off." and built 28 aircraft carriers, about a billion tanks, and an atomic bomb.

When Donald Trump said, "Make America Great Again!", the American people said, "Yeah! Cut taxes and keep out the Mexicans!" Trump promises grandeur without sacrifice. It's un-American.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is fucking legendary!