Planet America

Start here
sparks

Re: Planet America

Post by sparks »

Platitudes and no useful action as always stank.

It occurs to me that the only way to stop the fucking greed is to stop depending on the assholes that fuel it. Yet, 8.1 Billion peeps would all have to go back to providing for themselves. Everything for themselves.

Ain't gonna happen unless/until a great big fall occurs.

I for one, don't want to be around to see that. It might get the planet back down to 2 Billion which is way more sustainable than 8.

But imagine the cost in human potential.

Fuck.

We've set a very clever trap for ourselves and there doesn't seem to be a way out. We keep taking the bait and we keep getting our heads chopped off, laughing all the goddamned way. And if you'd like to narrow the search on who 'we' are, I give you bankers and lawyers or anyone else who makes a profit without contributing anything useful. Obscene predators. The entire fucking lot.
stanky

Post by stanky »

did you expect to see useful action on a forum?
sparks

Post by sparks »

stanky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:24 am did you expect to see useful action on a forum?
No. That's why I maintain we're headed for a great big fall. We can't do anything about the mess we've made. It remains to be seen if we live (as a species) through it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sparks wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:00 pmWe can't do anything about the mess we've made. It remains to be seen if we live (as a species) through it.
Someone famous once said: The greatest problem facing humanity is apathy. But nobody cares.

Oh wait, that was me.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Admin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:43 pm
sparks wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:00 pmWe can't do anything about the mess we've made. It remains to be seen if we live (as a species) through it.
Someone famous once said: The greatest problem facing humanity is apathy. But nobody cares.

Oh wait, that was me.
Exactly. We're dancing on our own grave it seems.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky

Post by stanky »

hot stuff!
stanky

Post by stanky »

anyone heard of Roark?
It's a huge private equity firm, named for a character in Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead".
They own an absurd number of fast food chains.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwGb-B ... rfectUnion

at 3 mins in, the name is explained.

i mention this because i was ignorant of it until recently, though it seems like something we'd know about. They have over a million employees.

(Maybe Black Rock will buy it.)
stanky

Post by stanky »

speaking of the devil, this little video is worth seeing if you weren't already aware of the insidious conspiracies of the shit-food industry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgn5R3 ... rfectUnion

(I've been aware of this since childhood because my father worked for a food company (Junket) that was bought up by a bigger one (Nabisco) that was bought up by a tobacco company (R.J. Reynolds). Each time a new merger happened, we had to move. It was a way for corporations to own their managers. I went to 6th grade in 3 different states because of this phenomena.)

It still amazes me that this was allowed to happen. Look at the way children are used in the ads for toxic sludge.

(Funny, as kids, we weren't allowed to eat any of the crap my dad sold for R.J. Reynolds.)
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm speaking of the devil, this little video is worth seeing if you weren't already aware of the insidious conspiracies of the shit-food industry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgn5R3 ... rfectUnion

(I've been aware of this since childhood because my father worked for a food company (Junket) that was bought up by a bigger one (Nabisco) that was bought up by a tobacco company (R.J. Reynolds). Each time a new merger happened, we had to move. It was a way for corporations to own their managers. I went to 6th grade in 3 different states because of this phenomena.)

It still amazes me that this was allowed to happen. Look at the way children are used in the ads for toxic sludge.

(Funny, as kids, we weren't allowed to eat any of the crap my dad sold for R.J. Reynolds.)
(Emphasis added)

I'm not so sure it's as bad as all that.

Everything in the video is true, of course, but there's something missing.

If we go back to 1960, we can see a lot of people dying of lung cancer in their '50s and ''60s, Smoking was killing people, Lots of people,

These foods are also killing people. Heart attacks. Diabetes. - mostly in their 70s and up.

So what is it that is being "allowed" to happen? Advertising? Are we going to stop advertising food? Should we have standards? Yes certianly, Abd we do. There's a label on every one of those packaged foods. Should canned corn be outlawed because it isn't as good as fresh corn?

Every time I read about somethng that is killing people, I think about life expectancy, and see the numbers going up. Can it really be all that bad?

I've grown cynical about campagins like this. It's true that we would be better off if there were no Twinkies. However, if we ban Twinkies, would we be better off? That doesn't seem as obvious to me.

The video said that they wanted to emphasize the science and so do I. I wish they would have made a stronger case that these foods were a big problem that warranted some sort of intervention. They just sort of took that part as given.