nature boys part two

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: nature boys part two

Post by Admin »

That's pretty cool. A rabbit was exciting as it ever got here.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

local thing made the national news...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blue-ridge-p ... 12674.html

Thatś a stretch of BRP real close to where we´ve been living, head that way a lot for points north to trailheads. Shutting that stretch down will certainly piss off leaf lookers for the fall colors, it has been a really good year for that.

Maybe being inconvenienced can teach some of them to fucking yell at idiots trying to interact with young bears.
grayman

Post by grayman »

President Bush wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:11 pm local thing made the national news...

Thatś a stretch of BRP real close to where we´ve been living, head that way a lot for points north to trailheads. Shutting that stretch down will certainly piss off leaf lookers for the fall colors, it has been a really good year for that.

Maybe being inconvenienced can teach some of them to fucking yell at idiots trying to interact with young bears.
Had a conductor try to feed a bear that was lounging about a hundred yards from our railyard office.

He walked toward the bear (did I mention he was an idiot?), and offered it a couple of granola bars.

The bear came over to where the granola bars were on the ground, nibbled at one, sniffed at the other and walked away.

I told the conductor that even the bears aren't hungry enough to eat the health food crap he brings to work.

Eventually, the conductor moved on to another company. He thought Trump was good, vaccines were a lie, and DeSantis is the best politician out there (did I mention he was an idiot?).
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

grayman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:40 pm
President Bush wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:11 pm local thing made the national news...

Had a conductor try to feed a bear that was lounging about a hundred yards from our railyard office.

He walked toward the bear (did I mention he was an idiot?), and offered it a couple of granola bars.

The bear came over to where the granola bars were on the ground, nibbled at one, sniffed at the other and walked away.

I told the conductor that even the bears aren't hungry enough to eat the health food crap he brings to work.

Eventually, the conductor moved on to another company. He thought Trump was good, vaccines were a lie, and DeSantis is the best politician out there (did I mention he was an idiot?).
These are hard to explain situations.

FL found pics of the young BRP bear...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzEhxurs2hK ... I2Ng%3D%3D

Don´t know how long it´ll take that little guy to give up on the free food overlook. The park service will likely determine it has to euthanize him if nothing changes, looks like he´s on his own.

Lane Pinnacle itself is nearby and way overhead from that overlook, here´s a good shot from up there recently, BRP (section now closed) is visible in the shadow...

thumbnail - 2023-10-23T221359.187.jpeg
thumbnail - 2023-10-23T221359.187.jpeg (203.83 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
stanky

Post by stanky »

the micro-ecology of the stankerosa has changed a bit lately...
no dogs! Had to put our last one down a while ago; our neighbor's 2 dogs are exiled for killing sheep. they hung out here all the time. we've never not had dogs.
the wildlife is working on domesticating me.
bunnies walking around the yard; deer and babies hanging out; squirrels suddenly back...freaky.
also armadillos are officially here after never being here.

it's way scarier without dogs. they let you know what's around.
i've taken to singing in the woods so as not to scare stuff.
lots of snapping turtles. new ones show up. crazy. the pond is tiny and half algae. i talk to them a lot. I like them.
and tree frogs. love em'.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:23 am the micro-ecology of the stankerosa has changed a bit lately...
no dogs! Had to put our last one down a while ago; our neighbor's 2 dogs are exiled for killing sheep. they hung out here all the time. we've never not had dogs.
the wildlife is working on domesticating me.
bunnies walking around the yard; deer and babies hanging out; squirrels suddenly back...freaky.
also armadillos are officially here after never being here.

it's way scarier without dogs. they let you know what's around.
i've taken to singing in the woods so as not to scare stuff.
lots of snapping turtles. new ones show up. crazy. the pond is tiny and half algae. i talk to them a lot. I like them.
and tree frogs. love em'.
Sounds cool, though I don't understand the part about dogs. Isn't it better to have the occasional black bear or bobcat rather than a dog barking half the time?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

President Bush wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:23 pmSounds cool, though I don't understand the part about dogs. Isn't it better to have the occasional black bear or bobcat rather than a dog barking half the time?
No.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:24 pm
President Bush wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:23 pmSounds cool, though I don't understand the part about dogs. Isn't it better to have the occasional black bear or bobcat rather than a dog barking half the time?
No.
Same fearful mindset gun owners generally invoke for keeping one handy.
stanky

Post by stanky »

dogs are good on a place like this.
its about being around happy beasts, mostly.
and dogs love the woods. and the roaming.
wouldn't put up with much barking, but some is handy.
they know when someone's coming way better than us.
i'm convinced that they're sensitive to pressure drops that precede bad storms.

it's interesting though. i'd like to meet a coyote in the woods. maybe get to know one a bit, like with the song birds and turtles; seeing the same ones, feeling comfy about it. its kinda disney.
grayman

Post by grayman »