life's little aggravations

Start here
Di Wundrin

Re: life's little aggravations

Post by Di Wundrin »

My reason to hate them is because of angle parking.
You're parked front in on a busy road and have to reverse out into (hopefully between) traffic but there's a mobile block of flats parked in the next bay that completely obscures your view of that oncoming traffic.

There is no way to get out except to start to reverse, slowly and gently and listen for car horns.
It's a fairly humbling experience to have your arse stuck out into the traffic lane and have to trust that those far enough off will pull up rather than hit you, and those too close to stop will give you a good warning blast on the horn so you can stop before they have to hit you.

It either buillds nerves of steel, or a bus passenger when undertaken in a busy street.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Di Wundrin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:51 am My reason to hate them is because of angle parking.
You're parked front in on a busy road and have to reverse out into (hopefully between) traffic but there's a mobile block of flats parked in the next bay that completely obscures your view of that oncoming traffic.

There is no way to get out except to start to reverse, slowly and gently and listen for car horns.
It's a fairly humbling experience to have your arse stuck out into the traffic lane and have to trust that those far enough off will pull up rather than hit you, and those too close to stop will give you a good warning blast on the horn so you can stop before they have to hit you.
There's a downtown area at a place in New Hampshire where I sometimes get coffee that is exactly like that, except there are parking meters, so you get to pay for the experience.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:51 am My reason to hate them is because of angle parking.
Yep, that's another one.

Not that angle parking exists over here any more - the parks are all parallel so as to leave room for bike lanes.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Hardly a town in Oz that doesn't have angle parking. Not the cities though, but the 4wds are the same problem in mall carparks.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

There's very little on-road parking in Canberra that isn't parallel to the direction of the road. And everybody has to do a reverse parallel park to get their driver's license so there's never any problem with that. :lol:
grayman

Post by grayman »

At work waiting to start my shift, another engineer walks in, sits down with several breakfast sandwiches, then proceeds to eat them loudly while watching loud videos on his phone.

He finishes by throwing an uneaten sandwich away because, we're Americans, and nobody can waste things like a yank.

I just got on a day shift - I should be in a better mood....
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Nah, nothing wrong with a bad mood. (I hope cos I have a lot of them.)

I just blame the Irish DNA for wanting to chuck things at a wall and luckily I live alone so no other humans are harmed while I settle down again. :D

There is usually some good reason for a bad mood, if we look hard enough. Silliest quetion a doctor ever asked me was "do you ever feel depressed?"
"Depressed! look at me, considering the condition I'm in if I was bloody happy about it I'd be certifiable wouldn't I??" He laughed and said, don't need a scrip then?... we get along very well that doc and I. now.

Youtube is a reliable mood soother, with some it's cats, or dash cam crashes, lately I've found comfort in watching other people cooking weird stuff.
Some of those carrying the promise, "You won't believe how easy this is to make" are spot on accurate. Don't believe it!

best though are those 'Only 2 ingredients!!" then show a table loaded with little dishes of 15 herbs, salt, 6 eggs,bunches of veges, dead bird or pig pieces, flour, milk and various sauces. They never mention which two are the "only" ingredients though.

C'mon you're feeling better already just thinking about it right? mmm maybe try the cats first.
Horses for courses.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:36 pm At work waiting to start my shift, another engineer walks in, sits down with several breakfast sandwiches, then proceeds to eat them loudly while watching loud videos on his phone.

He finishes by throwing an uneaten sandwich away because, we're Americans, and nobody can waste things like a yank.

I just got on a day shift - I should be in a better mood....
Perfect example of why I can't work with other people.
stanky

Post by stanky »

another thing that drives me batty is tangled up wires and cords and vines and sticky stuff.
And stuff in general. I'm pretty claustrophobic. I don't like stuff getting too close or blocking access. I hate shit that I bang my head on. Or shins. Sharp 90 degree corners, like on coffee tables and such, should be illegal. I hate clutter, but it's nearly impossible to avoid. There's sooo much stuff out there, people will beg you to take it. Sometimes I feel like i could drown in it. I especially dislike plastic crap, which makes it unpleasant to shop or travel. Because there's so much of it; heaving on the shelves of the endless dollar stores.

burp.

and i really wish stuff didn't need to be so butt-ugly. It gets so oppressive to be immersed in it. It's funny to reflect that this ugliness i speak of barely existed as recently as my childhood. It comes with corporate logos and leaves behind a crushed populace. They don't even know that it's ugly because they've never seen anything beautiful.

I've got a bad jones for the beauty...the always waning and threatened beauty...swallowed up in the name of jobs and progress, bringing us our demise at bargain prices.

fuck, stanky...smoke a joint or something...
grayman

Post by grayman »

stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:49 pm

fuck, stanky...smoke a joint or something...
Speaking of...

Listened to this on my way to work this morning:

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/14/11567232 ... r-practice