The Drowning Thread

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

The Drowning Thread

Post by Admin »

Darwin doing his stuff over here - 6 dead in the past 3 days.

Stupidity every one of them.
stanky

Re: The Drowning Thread

Post by stanky »

is any of it possibly disguised suicidal tendency?
lately, i wonder if an optimal life is the one that has enough adventure to kill you before you need suffer the humiliation of oldness.
I could see swimming out, in dangerous waters, as a final adventure with a worthy ending. Dignified, even.
(Compared to the options.)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 pm is any of it possibly disguised suicidal tendency?
lately, i wonder if an optimal life is the one that has enough adventure to kill you before you need suffer the humiliation of oldness.
I could see swimming out, in dangerous waters, as a final adventure with a worthy ending. Dignified, even.
(Compared to the options.)
No.

They were 2 family members of 7 caught in a rip at a time only the insane would have been in the water, one father who died saving his kid, another caught out by a sharply shelving river, one boat capsize and a diver.

I'm sure it happens, but none of those were.

I can think of much less painful ways to die, and ones that don't mean other people put their lives at risk to find you.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

I joke around about staggering to the river and "going out with the tide" but it's highly unlikely to ever happen.

No, all the ones I've heard about have been intelligence related not mental.

They have a TV show Bondi Rescue and its a 'reality' show, not Baywatch. They seem to have no trouble filling the time with the stuff people do when the sun hits their heads.

I catch it sometimes and every time there's been Asian/Indian tourists dragged out like wet cats. They seem to be totally and blissfully ignorant of what surf is. or does. But locals get caught too. Rips mainly.
sparks

Post by sparks »

I'd love to go out on the tide, but only on a sturdy boat!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Two more yesterday.

Unreal.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:49 amThey seem to be totally and blissfully ignorant of what surf is. or does.
That's totally it. Confidence born of ignorance. They just don't realise how dangerous the ocean can be.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:45 pm That's totally it. Confidence born of ignorance. They just don't realise how dangerous the ocean can be.
And a lot of stupidity. Not wearing lifejackets is insane.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Not sure if just an illusion but the number of rock fishermen getting dragged out and drowned seems to have dropped. Maybe I've just missed the reports?

There was someone doing a bit of hands on 'instruction/advice" by visiting the more popular spots and giving some he found with no safety in mind a good assessment of their IQs and some instruction in what, and more importantly, what not to do.

It was put more politely of course but that was the brunt of it. Good for him, never heard anything more about it but maybe his 'campaign' paid off?

Most of those too were Asian, usually fairly recently arrived so getting into the communities with some advice about the practice may have been successful. He deserves a medal whoever he was, and if he did it at all. I'm just going on the lesser body count and connecting it to that old interview really, no 'facts' on it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I haven't seen any of those over here this year either. Maybe that message is getting through?

Now, if we can just teach people to swim between the fucking flags...