Admin
Site Admin

The Religion Thread

Post by Admin »

Number one
Di Wundrin

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Di Wundrin »

Two religion threads on a Skeptic's forum? One for rants, the other for irony? Sounds like a plan. 8-) :lol:

Here we go, a theory to perhaps lure some lurkers into joining up to have a smack at me. (just trying to help out TA ;) )

Is "Climate Change" the new "Act of God"??

By that I mean is it being used in that connotation?? Seems so.

As every event, from the town dork winning a football match with a lucky kick, to whole towns being cindered by lava was once attributable to "God's will" now it seems that "Climate Change" is used as the ultimate explanation of luck, culpability, and natural disaster alike.

We were showing some promise, as a species, for a while. Taking more time to apply logic to the probable causes of 'catastrophes'.
In this current 'age of enlightenment' though, we've slipped back to into the torpor of mumbling 'climate change' and nodding sagely, content with our new 'saner' view of what makes the universe operate as it does.

A quick scan of the stories behind the headlines gives us plenty of proof that we're being put back to sleep by those who need a common belief system to act as proxy for their vested interests and reason for their claims on the power to decide "what's best for us."

Did a house burn down and kill some children? Did it burn down because of a faulty old kero heater because the family couldn't afford to pay the power bill for electric heating?
"Climate change" caused the cold snap and the recession which put the family out of work!
Was it burnt down because young Johnny set his sister's curtains alight at midnight while playing with matches?
"Climate change is affecting the sleeping patterns of children!"

Has the crime rate risen dramatically with unemployment, and poverty?
"Climate change is contributing to eratic human behaviour it has been found by researchers." (I kid you not, it's the new excuse for dickhead governments to cover up their utter negligence to properly fund the societies they run.
Even the run down to dumpster level Health systems are being "over worked due climate change induced health problems". Utter bullshit, but 'act of god/climate' still carries clout with the trusting public. So much clout that these despicable 'governments' are re-elected! )

Hard to find anything happening anywhere that a journo who graduated high school couldn't spin to include "climate change" in the text somewhere.
Anywhere will do really, as long as it is acknowledged to be the ultimate power causing absolutely everything.

There have even been editors who've let diatribes about climate change causing ...earthquakes... go to print.

But here's a little 'click bait' article from this morning which inspired this rant.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/travel/news/n ... c21cd84332

It starts with a cruise ship hitting an iceberg, non event, it was a very small one, but the follow up story is a doozy.

American cruise ship smacked hard by a "rogue wave" with dire result.
Yep. Climate change to blame. They manage to slip in the obligatory term to warn that this would happen more often in the future ...due to climate change.

Maybe, maybe not, but seriously, did anyone look at how that cruise ship is built??

Rogue waves weren't invented yesterday. Wooden sailing ships survived them okay. So what's different?
Wooden sailing ships didn't have big glass windows in them! Even older cruise ships had portholes.

Maybe if they're fair dinkum about climate change making the waves bigger they should think about hiring some more sensible maritime architects??

Ahh, but then of course, like "Act of God" the blame laid on 'climate change' may serve the same legal purpose? :idea: :idea:
Exonerate negligence by way of 'greater powers' being in play?? 8-)

If I had to pay out damages on that cruise ship I'd happily claim to have seen the aliens do it to avoid the bill! ;)

The 'use' of climate change is obviously being tailored to fit the niches previously occupied by the woo type of 'religion' (defined as a belief system structured to empower the few based on trust in their superior 'knowledge' of the subject)

They haven't mastered the skills of selling prayer yet, give them time, but they've sure put the rest of the religious rorts to good use.

...why do humans have a need to 'believe in higher powers'?? wtf is that about? Why are we so easily scared 'senseless'?? siiiiigh. juzwundrin. :roll:
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

One would think climate change will make Acts of God harder to come by 8-)
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Same old 'jungle' Pres, just a different entity to blame for the casualty rate.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Possible distinction I see is that 1000 year floods were formerly thought of as Acts of God.

1000 year floods occurring on a more and more regular basis may be regarded as forseeable.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

President Bush wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 am Possible distinction I see is that 1000 year floods were formerly thought of as Acts of God.

1000 year floods occurring on a more and more regular basis may be regarded as forseeable.
That makes no difference really, it won't stop fools building on flood plains and they won't be 1,000 year floods if they increase in frequency.
They will become 100 year floods, like the 2 one in a 100 year floods we had 3 years apart. :roll:

It's not 'the science' I give a rats about, it's the changing direction of 'trust' in the minds of the people, and how easily it's manipulated that intrigues me.

The change in terminology is either the driver or the result of peoples' different attitudes to events they can't control. My bet is driver.

They used to shrug and write it off to God and drop an extra dollar in the plate on Sunday as a bribe to stop 'him' messing with things.
Now they blame climate change and drop an extra dollar a gallon into the gas station as a bribe to whoever claims they can stop climate messing with things.

Same behaviour, same sacrificial reaction to 'buy off' what they can't control. Different scapegoat. That's what makes it 'the new religion'. That's all.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 am Same behaviour, same sacrificial reaction to 'buy off' what they can't control. Different scapegoat. That's what makes it 'the new religion'. That's all.
You're reading the headlines instead of the science. Journalists are a pain in the arse.

Good spot on two religion threads, I have no idea how I managed that, so I'll dump one at some stage.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:50 am

Good spot on two religion threads, I have no idea how I managed that, so I'll dump one at some stage.

But which is the one true religion thread?
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Di Wundrin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:46 am
President Bush wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 am Possible distinction I see is that 1000 year floods were formerly thought of as Acts of God.

That makes no difference really, it won't stop fools building on flood plains and they won't be 1,000 year floods if they increase in frequency.
They will become 100 year floods, like the 2 one in a 100 year floods we had 3 years apart. :roll:
Makes a difference in drafting contracts as to liability/defense to avoid liability.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:48 pmBut which is the one true religion thread?
Whichever one I decide it is at the time, of course.