The Religion Thread

Start here
stanky

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by stanky »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:44 pm I want to say they were called scapulae....but it seems odd they would have the same name as shoulder blades.
Scapular.

Which makes more sense. Some etymological connection with shoulders.

The ones they gave us were just a cloth cord with a picture of Mary.

i escaped at 13; the memories are dim and scary. i remember the ones you describe. I think there were two types. The brown one would get you to purgatory if you suddenly died. The green one, heaven. I can't fathom why anyone bought the brown ones. Wasn't some money involved?
Mass was torture, pure and simple. Big cathedrals; all Latin; priests with black Cadillac's. Had to give money to the beast. And wear a tie.

oh shit...i'm evidently not over it yet.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Did you serve mass as an altar boy, stanky?

I did. Badly hung over one time, think I was twelve.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Hung over at twelve? :o
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

And it was a fucking Holy Day of Obligation mass, New Year´s Day. Because of that there was an extra priest who asked me if I was okay as I had to leave the altar and stick my head beween my knees in the sacristy. I probably smelled like vomit.
sparks

Post by sparks »

All of us ex-cathoholics have horror stories. My personal favorite that I laugh about now was the uniforms. The girls had white blouses and black and Grey plaid skirts. The boys had blue shirts and salt and pepper corduroy pants.

But what the hell. Hitler and the Pope were having a true love affair all through out WWII, so it's only reasonable that those rat bastard catholics would do thier best to indoctrinate the young.

Misled fucking bastards
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Wasn´t subjected to Catholic schooling, just the nearby very small town Catholic church.

Cool thing about being an altar boy was communion time. Sometimes a chore for the priest to get the host to land on a moving object like an old woman´s tongue writhing all over the place. Altar boy would hold out a brass paten under their chin to catch it so it wouldn´t hit the floor. Fucking hilarious for an eleven-year old.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Body of Jeebus the Christ tennis.:)

What fucking nonsense.
grayman

Post by grayman »

sparks wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:23 pm All of us ex-cathoholics have horror stories. My personal favorite that I laugh about now was the uniforms. The girls had white blouses and black and Grey plaid skirts.
A motorcycle club took that theme and turned it into an annual fund-raiser:

http://www.rockymountainumf.com/csgr2022.html
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Whoa! That looks like my kind of day!
grayman

Post by grayman »