NZ: Mission accomplished?

Start here
Di Wundrin

Re: NZ: Mission accomplished?

Post by Di Wundrin »

Bugger indeed. I have a member on OF who it is impossible to convince that Cindy isn't Mother Mary sent down to succour the poor and needy, or is that sucker?
stanky

Post by stanky »

I remember when NZ was the great white hope of the world.
These days, there doesn't seem to be one. Not even the fantasy.

It's like I woke up from a nap, and the dystopian future was here.
Everywhere.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

It's still better than America.

Oh yeah, shots fired.

Damn America's got too many guns Aaahhhh!

*hides*
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

stanky wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:44 pm I remember when NZ was the great white hope of the world.
These days, there doesn't seem to be one. Not even the fantasy.

It's like I woke up from a nap, and the dystopian future was here.
Everywhere.
Ahh Stanky. :| Now you know how cynical old pragmatists like me have felt all along, because we never did take that nap and have that 'pipe dream' to hold onto. Shit's been real to us all along.

Society always been seen as some form of dystopian, depending on the point of view of the 'historian', or the self appointed 'fixers' of it.

It's just getting worse because so many have wanted to 'dream' it away. They first imagine the cause, then they imagine they can 'fix' it by removing hindrances to dystopian behaviour, as though if there's no penalty for it then no one will commit a crime. Boy, how deeply dreaming would you need to be to think that would work?

Finding excuses for 'dystopia' doesn't fix it. Tell it's cause that it's not their fault and they'll just keep going for more ''dystopian" ways to fuck things up and keep telling YOU 'guilty' people to fix it.

So how is that tactic going ?

It's sure not going well in Alice springs!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:39 pm Bugger indeed. I have a member on OF who it is impossible to convince that Cindy isn't Mother Mary sent down to succour the poor and needy, or is that sucker?
Definitely the latter.

She said she'd fix it; she lied. Didn't even try. Inequality is the highest ever.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

There are more reasons why a politician may not follow through on a promise other than outright lying.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Just found this:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:38 am There are more reasons why a politician may not follow through on a promise other than outright lying.
Sure there are, and if there were valid reasons for her inaction I'd be the first to defend her.

Unfortunately, she loved the celebrity status more than the job in hand. What she needed to do wasn't even that hard.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 am
That's the flip side of it - while I'm happy to criticise her for the lousy job she did overall, the abuse of her by that fringe is driven by misogyny from a bunch of conspiracist lunatics.

There are presently eight active police prosecutions before the courts for death threats made against her. Considering the vast majority of threats are on the dark net and untraceable, there being 8 who were stupid enough to post in clear means there's a serious problem.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Heard about the death threats and that's way beyond the pale, it's politics fer chrissakes.

Spotted this one that may raise a smile.