Post by Admin »

Fuck, that's a very good one.
grayman

Re: Reasons Humans Are Doomed

Post by grayman »

stanky

Post by stanky »

My favorite human-made ecological disaster, plastics, is making good headway; becoming ubiquitous? Is that the word?
It's becoming one with the bio-sphere, and will continue to do so, over time, until all life forms will have necessarily evolved to handle it.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-q ... 20300.html

the link describes the average # of nano-particles of plastic per liter of bottled water of varios brands, bought at Wallmart. 1/4 million.
They thought a lot of the wee bits came from the bottle, and others came from the filters used to clean the water. oops.
It isn't yet known if this fine trash can cross the blood/brain barrier. What could go wrong?

what sickens me about it, is the way it's in everything already, and it's just begun. There's no way we can stop it from eroding into the ocean, even if we stopped producing it. No species are exempt. What a legacy of a generation! I remember when it was just starting; you'd see one or two items made of plastic. And then America went Ape-shit crazy. and jumped on-board with gusto. stunningly fast. sorry, everything. I blame tv. and me. sigh.

but, hey...maybe protoplasm will make use of the new materials. maybe cartilage will last longer; hair, more lustrous.

doom is a state of mind? or a music genre.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:07 am It's becoming one with the bio-sphere, and will continue to do so, over time, until all life forms will have necessarily evolved to handle it.
I don't think that's even possible. Luckily, it doesn't seem to matter much, although the possibility exists we'll reach some fatal tipping point.
grayman

Post by grayman »

The planet's trying to kill us.

Stumbled onto this item this morning:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos
grayman

Post by grayman »

It's just a goddam Oreo. Get over it.

sparks

Post by sparks »

Good. More Oreo goodness for us! BTW, smokes and single malt are also of the devil. So stay the fuck away from my supplies Chreeeeeeeeeeeeeeestians.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Some people are too fucking stupid for words.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C58h6aGr ... c5MDJkbmd5
stanky

Post by stanky »

I saw this exposure earlier; thought it described something i couldn't put to words, regarding some of the shameless tricks of Amazon and Uber:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYG1mu ... osetheboss

sometimes, i notice greed exposing itself in a way that should call the bluff on itself. For instance, when i first saw bottled water in a soda-pop vending machine, for the same price as the Pepsi, it was like Pepsi confessing that all of the ingredients of their signature beverage didn't cost anything....or not enough to cause a coinage issue at the machine. Surely we should pay extra, by now, for the absence of ingredients. And we do, of course, in various low-fat options, or food grown without pesticides.

Last time we ventured out, into thew 'real' world (Walmart) i was staring, dumfoundedly, at the cereal selections,,,and there, above the Cheerios, were boxes of generic cheerios. The price was 1/4th of the name brand; same size. In fact, same ingredients.
Doesn't this call the bluff on General Mills? The lower price possibility is still quite profitable, given how cheap oat flour, sugar and salt are. As i looked at the labels and lists of these products, as a journalist type, i wanted to yell out "Aha! People, these corporations are ripping you off! I have proof!"

But, no...i resist. Maybe next time. Brand loyalty gets even sillier when we discover the parent company of the two products is the same. There's money to be made in low cost options. Hence, full price is very bloated. Maybe that makes the consumer feel good about themselves...like, "By god, i can afford the best!"

but no...in my sociology studies of regular life, i've found that people don't notice much or think a lot. The objective is to get it over with. Shop, pay, move on. And, turns out, stores are designed to encourage that approach. In some cases, invisible fragrances are added to manipulate behavior. Fascinating stuff.
\
and oddly enough, when it's exposed, it doesn't matter. It still works. Sniff that rarefied air as you enter the garden supply area: It's supplied by a hidden device that spews a bit of artificial 'fresh cut grass' aroma...and that gets you in the mood to buy a lawn mower....even when you know. Somehow, we think the emperor is wearing clothes.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 pmFor instance, when i first saw bottled water in a soda-pop vending machine, for the same price as the Pepsi, it was like Pepsi confessing that all of the ingredients of their signature beverage didn't cost anything....or not enough to cause a coinage issue at the machine. Surely we should pay extra, by now, for the absence of ingredients. And we do, of course, in various low-fat options, or food grown without pesticides.
I laugh every time I pass the bottled water aisle at the supermarket.

Auckland's tap water is 100% reliable and 100% clean. From the tap it costs less than 1 cent per litre, yet people pay $10 for 20-litre bottles of it. All encased in good, wholesome plastic.