guns 2

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: guns 2

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 am
A U.S. appeals court on Thursday declared unconstitutional a federal law making it a crime for people under domestic violence restraining orders to own firearms.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/people ... 023-02-02/
Now, that's funny.

Probably not for the women taking out the protection orders...
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:04 am
President Bush wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 am
A U.S. appeals court on Thursday declared unconstitutional a federal law making it a crime for people under domestic violence restraining orders to own firearms.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/people ... 023-02-02/
Now, that's funny.

Probably not for the women taking out the protection orders...
According to a relatively recent Supreme Court decision - https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... w_m648.pdf - “the government must affirmatively prove that its firearms regulation is part of the historical tradition” to set boundaries on gun use.

Historical tradition wouldn't have accepted disarming domestic abusers because historical tradition didn't find domestic violence to be a crime. Lunacy.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Utterly brilliant. You can't argue with that level of insanity.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:56 am Utterly brilliant. You can't argue with that level of insanity.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We only outlawed husbands being allowed to physically discipline their wives (or rape them) in the 1980s.

I can still vividly recall the TV news interviewing one of many old white men who were protesting the change. He honestly thought it was his god-given right to whack his Mrs if she was late with dinner or had committed some other heinous crime like not doing the ironing.

I quite often wonder if I'm the same species as those people.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:08 pm
I quite often wonder if I'm the same species as those people.
Perhaps some of us have evolved faster than others.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

It wasn't openly talked about 'back in the day' but of course kids have big ears so... from what I recall other men 'took care' of those fellas.

They'd wake up in hospital after a reciprocal bashing behind the pub. The wife's male relatives usually, but also more often than not the blokes own 'mates. They'd be nagged into it by their wives. There was a kind of mutual mind set on it, limits placed.

But this was country towns, different situation in the cities perhaps. Also there was a bit of class involved. The lower classes were more adept at inflicting painful lessons on wife bashers than the upper classes. The wealhier women could be hidden away til he bruises faded, the lower class women couldn't.

I dont know when society stopped caring enough to 'handle it at ground level. Too much law, and not enough justice perhaps?
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 pm It wasn't openly talked about 'back in the day' but of course kids have big ears so... from what I recall other men 'took care' of those fellas.

They'd wake up in hospital after a reciprocal bashing behind the pub. The wife's male relatives usually, but also more often than not the blokes own 'mates. They'd be nagged into it by their wives. There was a kind of mutual mind set on it, limits placed.

But this was country towns, different situation in the cities perhaps. Also there was a bit of class involved. The lower classes were more adept at inflicting painful lessons on wife bashers than the upper classes. The wealhier women could be hidden away til he bruises faded, the lower class women couldn't.

I dont know when society stopped caring enough to 'handle it at ground level. Too much law, and not enough justice perhaps?

I blame it on not enough Batman.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Out of sheer curiosity Pres, what connection is there between DV in Aussie country towns and that pic?? You obviously make one but buggered if I see any connection whatever.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It's a scene from To Kill a Mockingbird, if that's any help.