Post by stanky »

seriously?

Holy shit, Arth.
That barely computes.

What about pea shooters?
arthwollipot

Re: guns 2

Post by arthwollipot »

Seriously. The ones with the y-shaped handle and the elastic? Yeah, totally banned. Kids made them anyway. The kind of kids who enjoyed bullying me.

Peashooters I don't know. But you can do a lot more damage with a slung shot than you can a shot pea.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:33 pm when i was a ten year old boy, we fellas carried a slingshot in our back pocket.
It was a cool look. We made the weapons ourselves and found the ammo.
I never did, but you could kill a squirrel or rabbit with this old technology.
A good one will take down a bear.
Ah, those were the days. Slingshot with spring made from old bike tyre was my go-to. I never managed to kill anything, but I sure hell tried.

Definitely a lethal weapon and banned at school since I was a kid. My middle boy copped a 2-day suspension for having one at school. It wasn't his, but he took the rap because the kid he covered for would have been thrashed for it. Good boy that. I had to try very hard not to laugh when I told the principal the slingshot was my boy's, knowing damned well that it wasn't and why he said it was.
stanky wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:33 pmThen there's blow darts...never got into them, but it's on the bucket list.
I miss the relative sanity of childhood in the 50's.
Yes!

I've helped all my boys make blow darts. Amazingly accurate and powerful. We can put a dart straight through multiple layers of cardboard at 10 metres.
stanky

Post by stanky »

If i was more paranoid and thought i needed a defensive weapon, it would be a blow gun with hypodermic darts.
Used with stealth and distance, they wouldn't know what him. No sound alert; no position give away. Depending on the threat, i'd have a variety of darts. But mostly just knock out meds. If you can immobilize the threat for an hour, you get a chance to tie him up, find out who it is, and go from there.

Cops should be shooting drugs, not bullets, at the perps.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

A blowgun makes a better ambush weapon than a defensive one.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:36 am If i was more paranoid and thought i needed a defensive weapon, it would be a blow gun with hypodermic darts.
Used with stealth and distance, they wouldn't know what him. No sound alert; no position give away.
I'll take my bow any day. Just as stealthy and lethal at 100m, easy.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Another shooting:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunman-kills ... 36545.html

In case you want to keep track of them for the year:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting
stanky

Post by stanky »

Last year averaged almost 2 a day.
That's four or more killed, which qualifies a mass shooting in the U.S.
Imagine being the desperate loner with a gun, and you want to go out famous. But you only manage to kill 3 people and your story is barely a news blip. Worse, the cops didn't even kill you and now you must rot in jail, on suicide watch, in solitary confinement until you die. That would have to suck.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:19 pm Another shooting:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gunman-kills ... 36545.html

In case you want to keep track of them for the year:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting
3 pages and it's only halfway through February.

Nice.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:04 pm Last year averaged almost 2 a day.
That's four or more killed, which qualifies a mass shooting in the U.S.
Imagine being the desperate loner with a gun, and you want to go out famous. But you only manage to kill 3 people and your story is barely a news blip. Worse, the cops didn't even kill you and now you must rot in jail, on suicide watch, in solitary confinement until you die. That would have to suck.
Yeah, you think there'd be a stage where it's just too boring, but Americans gotta America.