guns 2

Start here
Di Wundrin

Re: guns 2

Post by Di Wundrin »

I know that tks TA, just wonderin what links that tale to subject in Pres' thinking trail that's all. curiosity.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 pm It wasn't openly talked about 'back in the day' but of course kids have big ears so... from what I recall other men 'took care' of those fellas.

They'd wake up in hospital after a reciprocal bashing behind the pub. The wife's male relatives usually, but also more often than not the blokes own 'mates. They'd be nagged into it by their wives. There was a kind of mutual mind set on it, limits placed.

But this was country towns, different situation in the cities perhaps. Also there was a bit of class involved. The lower classes were more adept at inflicting painful lessons on wife bashers than the upper classes. The wealhier women could be hidden away til he bruises faded, the lower class women couldn't.

I dont know when society stopped caring enough to 'handle it at ground level. Too much law, and not enough justice perhaps?
This post immediately led me to think of Atticus Finch. The image I posted was the moment in the movie just before the fellow he was defending, Tom, finds out his fate, the jury then declaring him guilty.

An illustration of not-so-nice historical tradition brought up just before on the page. Looked to me as if you were flipping that script.Your anecdote was nice at first but then rang false IMO after you reduced it to politics.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Politics? Yeah, okay I can see where that would come from .. law and order = politics. It was a broad term, the obsession with 'sides' is yours, not mine remember. ;)

My apologies I thought you may have been thinking 'vigilantism' or similar. It wasn't like that. One of the strongest 'laws' of the old Aussi "kulcha" was never dob. If everybody knew he was robbing banks no one would have said a word. But bashing women was another thing entirely.
So no matter how many cops there were, or 'family services' people the other men would still have 'handled it' that way. But there are too many CCTV cameras and lawyers around now, not too many towns left with the same 'cohesion' in society either. I miss them.

Times and people and 'kulcha' has changed, and I doubt for the better in all cases. Everyone these days just 'minds their own business' and only very few, normally immigrants bless 'em, actually 'dob in' suspected DV exponents now. I suspect this is partly driving the rise in incidence of it in at least some demographics. In a twist of fate the rise in organisations tasked with controlling it seems to have driven more men to 'indulge' their inner brute in the practice. Something's not being done right methinks.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Pro-gun lawyer shot with own weapon by MRI scanner dies:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... nner-dies/
sparks

Post by sparks »

Couldn't see the article for the ads but brilliant anyway!
grayman

Post by grayman »

sparks wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:43 am Couldn't see the article for the ads but brilliant anyway!
Try this perhaps:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lawyer-died-co ... 21257.html
sparks

Post by sparks »

That is just fucking priceless! And I also found the ad about removing moles and skin tags informative too. :)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pure gold!

Licence to carry? Check.

That's one of the most karmic ones I've seen.

One down, only 96 million to go.
stanky

Post by stanky »

when i was a ten year old boy, we fellas carried a slingshot in our back pocket.
It was a cool look. We made the weapons ourselves and found the ammo.
I never did, but you could kill a squirrel or rabbit with this old technology.
A good one will take down a bear.

Then there's blow darts...never got into them, but it's on the bucket list.
I miss the relative sanity of childhood in the 50's.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Slingshots have been illegal here since I was a kid.