Start here
stanky

Re: Headlines that signal that the story will be misleading and/or stupid

Post by stanky »

diddy a billionaire, cracka'
sparks

Post by sparks »

Not quite, only 800 million! Which says nothing except how gullible and tasteless the Great Unwashed actually is.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

sparks wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:51 pmBTW, the music isn't music. It's shit as well. :P
It might not be to your taste - it usually isn't to mine, either - but it is wrong to say that it isn't music.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Today's potentially stupid headline:

Woman In The Gifted Program As A Child Explains That The True Purpose Was Not To Help Smart Kids Do Better

Any time someone is going to reveal "the true purpose", I suspect stupidity is coming. There's a grain o conspiracy thinking involved. I just would be surprised to find that "the true purpose" was different than helping kids do better.

On top of that, though, I have extra reasons to believe some stupid is coming my way with that headline. There's a somewhat viral story about some Washingto state closures of gifted and talented programs being shut down because of "DEI". In other words, there weren't enough black people in the classes, so they were shut down. Needless to say, the right wing media is abuzz with outrage. I suspect this is a left wing response. I'm just curious what the "true purpose" is.

reading..........

The "true purpose" was that smart kids disrupt classrooms, so they are segregated away from the other kids. Oh....and the programs are racist.

Now, let's be fair to the woman who was the woman referred to in the headlines. Several paragraphs into the article, it was mentioned she was referring specifically to gifted and talented programs in elementary schools. I must admit that I'm not sure about that. She could even be right, or at least partially right. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the teachers and principles who populate our educational establishment, most o whom were not eligible for gifted and talented programs, do not know how to deal with precociously intelligent nine year olds.

When I was a kid, we didn't have gifted and talented programs before high school. (We called the high school classes "honors", not gifted and talented.) I'm not sure I would have benefitted much from them. I have become a critic of trying to force higher math education onto young people before college, but I think some better literature exercises would have been good for me as a kid.
stanky

Post by stanky »

i was in a mess of that 'honors' stuff in school.
and now i'm a broke, illiterate right-wing conspiracy theorist with bad shoes.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Doubling down on more math, science, literature and critical thinking classes from grade school on up! :idea:
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Today's Headline:

Biden screwed up life for young voters and it could cost him dearly (Fox News)

It's nothing specific about the wording of the headline. It has the form of "The other guy did something truly awful" If it's not obvious what it was, there may be some stupid on the way.

I'm not even sure how Biden has "screwed up" young people.

Vaccines?
Lockdowns? Last time I checked, Trump was President when those happened.
Inflation? Oh....ok. That's kind of bad. But "screwed up life". That seems hyperbolic, and old people are hit far harder than young people by inflation.
Woke stuff? I disagree with Biden and Democrats on a lot of "Woke stuff" but I don't think it's screwing up anyone's life. Maybe making some people a bit uncomfortable....

But a big hint is that it refers to "young voters" instead of "young people". Maybe....just maybe.....this could be an election related piece where anti-Biden propoganda is masquerading as news.

I guess I had better read it to find out.

Inflation......and everything else he has done. Because it's all bad. And young people hate him.

To be fair, it was labelled an opinion piece. However, the phrasing of the headline and the source of the news made me expect that it was either some incredibly stupid thing, or just a generally incoherent "Biden sucks." piece. It turned out to be the latter.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

"Woke stuff". Lol.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:59 pm "Woke stuff". Lol.
Lol all you want, but if Trump wins, that will be why.

In this particular case, though, I was trying to figure out what possibly could have ruined people's lives. When all is said and done, we don't really have it very bad right now in The States. I wondered what Republican talking point would be greatly exaggerated.

It's so hard to know the future, though. Lately, it seems to me that Trump has been slipping somewhat. Let's hope it's a trand.
stanky

Post by stanky »

the worst thing he's done is ramp up clandestine military adventures. This makes enemies, They come back to haunt. Falls on the young because they must pay the reparations. They also inherit the toxic spewage from the prior activity, with its cumulative damage. poor bastards. they must also deal with so many more people than we.

The Trump fans that i know want him to dismantle the swamp, which they see as a source of their woes. Like they welcome a revolution, of sorts. Trump is seen as ballsy; not a wus. He's extra hetero; they hate the radical gay agenda. His being a slut is not a problem; shows virility and non-homosexualness. Mostly, they formed their opinions from Fox news. There's no more shaking them out of that spell than there is the opposite...changing our minds. They never try, which is nice. Whereas i've tried, uselessly, to promote a liberal fantasy.