Weather

Start here
Di Wundrin

Re: Weather

Post by Di Wundrin »

Ever the wizzard Grayman.

I want to stroll through the pale indigo light

examining all the accidents about to rocket into time,

all the forgotten names about to fly from tongues.

I will scrutinize all the surprises of the future

and watch the brainstorms gathering darkly,

ready to hit the heads of inventors

laboring in their crackpot shacks.
I want to invite that writer to dinner! he's found 'my place' the one I'll 'die wonderin' about.

You can come too.:D
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Admin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:12 pm I hope this is available to watch outside NZ - it hammers home why the floods got such enormous publicity: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/video/focus- ... S3DW7EEGA/

If you can't see it, it shows a large number of rich cunts' houses whose seasides just got a lot closer to their house.
Yes, that one's playing okay here.
Bet there are some elevated stress levels in those houses. All land is only on loan from the ocean over the long term, they took the risk, so stuff 'em.

I notic ed a lot of homes built on ridges there too. Really sharp steep looking ridges. What is that? the ridge thing? The elevation? the views?
Here it's stupid because the fires rush up them, there it because they slip out from underneath the house. Gimme a nice piece of reasonable level ground well away from a flood plain, a volcano, an overgrown patch of eucalypts and with plenty of water at hand in a big dam.

or I could just settle for staying here, well above the river and no scrub to burn me out. :D
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:16 am Currently minus 2° Fahrenheit at Gray Manor with a forecast of minus 10° when I leave for work in the morning.
Positively warm!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:43 am I notic ed a lot of homes built on ridges there too. Really sharp steep looking ridges. What is that? the ridge thing? The elevation? the views?
Here it's stupid because the fires rush up them, there it because they slip out from underneath the house. Gimme a nice piece of reasonable level ground well away from a flood plain, a volcano, an overgrown patch of eucalypts and with plenty of water at hand in a big dam.

or I could just settle for staying here, well above the river and no scrub to burn me out. :D
Yep, it's all about playing King of the Castle. The higher up you are, the more you look down on poorer people.

That their property is disappearing is a real tragedy.

One thing does fucking sicken me, however. A load of people who lost the contents to flooding have been found to be without insurance, and there are calls for the government to bail them out.

Over my dead body is my response to that.

If people are too lazy, cheap, or stupid to be insured, then they pay the fucking bill, not me. I'm pretty sure the insurance company lobby will ensure it doesn't happen, because if it does, nobody would bother paying for insurance every again.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Oh yeah, that old "we're too poor to pay the insurance premiums" thing has been a rort here for decades. It they can't afford the premums then sell up and move.

They sweat on it being declared "a disaster" by the government. That way everybody gets a cut of the funding for the 'rebuild.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And the numbers are in - my estimate earlier about 0.5% of houses was way high. it's actually 0.05%.

540,000 houses, 250 beyond repair.

I can think of several far more damaging floods we've had straight off the top of my head. But they were all in poor areas, so nobody cares.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I see that storm headed for Tassie brought some cold air to Victoria, too.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia ... -snap-hits
grayman

Post by grayman »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 am Ever the wizzard Grayman.

I want to stroll through the pale indigo light

examining all the accidents about to rocket into time,

all the forgotten names about to fly from tongues.

I will scrutinize all the surprises of the future

and watch the brainstorms gathering darkly,

ready to hit the heads of inventors

laboring in their crackpot shacks.
I want to invite that writer to dinner! he's found 'my place' the one I'll 'die wonderin' about.

You can come too.:D
His name is Billy Collins. He was once Poet Laureate of the U.S.

Dinner with the two of you sounds great!

Would probably bring the missus and stanky along to add to the conversation.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Saw minus 15 on my way to work.

stanky

Post by stanky »

That's balmy, compared to Mt. Washington yesterday.
Although it was a mere 46 below on top, the wind gusted to 127 mph. Thus, New Hampshire managed a wind chill of minus 108 F...a new U.S. record cold.

Hell, after 100 below, it hardly matters.

Icy here, but warming trend predicted.

You likely heard about the train derailment in Ohio? Big fire. Some evacuations.