Weather

Start here
stanky

Re: Weather

Post by stanky »

I remember some hillbillies up there. my brother had land near mt washington. Definitely Appalachia. funky trailers in the woods, hard scrabble kids. 40 below at times. i head south at minus twenty.
How cold has grayman been? Trains in wyoming? Planes up higher?
grayman

Post by grayman »

stanky wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:59 am
How cold has grayman been? Trains in wyoming? Planes up higher?
Riding a motorcycle from Wyoming to Denver and back with temperatures in the 20s fahrenheit was cold.

Skydiving out of a plane at 17,000 feet was chilly as well.

Swimming in the ocean off the New England coast is always... brisk.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Think it must have been Dec of 1975, I had just hitch hiked back from Arizona to Wisconsin. Had zero money but I had a major down sleeping bag rated down to way the fuck cold.

Got to Madison at night, colder than hell, thought I would drop in on friends, sleep on their couch.

Bad idea, everybody I thought I could drop in on was gone, xmas and all that. No coins for the bus, hitched out to the end of town where the highway to Green Bay was, that was my next stop, one of my sisters lived there.

Was late by then, don´t remember, midnight probably, windy, going down to negative mid 20s ambient temp that night. Gave up on trying to get a ride, way too fucking cold and windy, so just crawled under the highway in a cement culvert and slept there. It seemed extreme but I didn´t die, major fucking headache in the morning.
stanky

Post by stanky »

aging blows. don't do it if you don't have to. suddenly, i'm this weak old guy who can't take the cold. hands. bad. we're heading into a cold spell; below freezing day and night for a week. or more. ugh. what a pussy. i came from the north. snow. now this. cold without snow. tropics on my mind. bitch moan. got perfect firewood, though. plenty. and 7 guitars so wtf.

time for toughen up
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Could be time to brush up on your curling skills.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 am aging blows. don't do it if you don't have to.
You know what really sucks donkey balls?

Gout.

Don't get gout.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 am aging blows. don't do it if you don't have to. suddenly, i'm this weak old guy who can't take the cold. hands. bad. we're heading into a cold spell; below freezing day and night for a week. or more. ugh. what a pussy. i came from the north. snow. now this. cold without snow. tropics on my mind. bitch moan. got perfect firewood, though. plenty. and 7 guitars so wtf.

time for toughen up
cold cold cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dt-jZcPAw8
stanky

Post by stanky »

we got about 8" of fluffy, with more expected.
ten below this morn.
we slept out anyway, under a heap of blankets.
extra cold makes extra cozy.
could'a used a few dogs.

we plan to play with ice some, while it's here.
i really admire that ice can be strong glue or slippery surface; transparent or reflective; that it has more volume than its liquid form and enough compressive strength to drive big trucks on.

i wish ice was warm.

can you imagine?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Could do with some ice here. The temperature hasn't dropped below 20 for about 5 days in a row.
stanky

Post by stanky »

According to forecasts, our cold snap will be followed by the opposite.
Predictable, as per climate disruption, and disturbing. The warm spells during the cold months really mess with life. Like, trees, bees, amphibians, reptiles, bears, bats, etc. If the temp rouses the bee, but there's no flowers, she's fucked. Same with bat. All of it, really.
I get to see it happen. Hardest on the trees and insects, so far. But it's all so inter-twined, it may as well be a single organism with various organs in our approach to it. Humans are affected with a time lag. For now, climate change is mostly an inconvenience, but i can't imagine that humans will be sparred the same fate, a bit later. We are dependent on 'them'...the other species.

Food shortages in the modern world are unfathomable. We kinda think it comes from a factory. Flood and drought wreak havoc on soil.
Plan B, so far, is sci-fi.