Weather

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weather

Post by Admin »

We've had 200mm of rain today and large parts of Auckland have been under water.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weathe ... s-auckland

No problems here.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Good to hear you're high and dry TA.. holy dooley mate, see what happens soon as Cindy drops the reins??

Just hitting the late news here.

Auckland has some serious emergency drainage problems going there. But it doesn't happen every year or 3 like it does around Sydney and they've never fixed it for a century. Kind of funny that the media still find it so exciting that the same places keep flooding to the same (unprecedented) extent every couple of years as though their audience are all bloody goldfish or something.

Bet there'll be a few awkward questions asked of the Councils in the aftermath of that Auckland one!
stanky

Post by stanky »

frighteningly normal here.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:03 pmAuckland has some serious emergency drainage problems going there. But it doesn't happen every year or 3 like it does around Sydney and they've never fixed it for a century. Kind of funny that the media still find it so exciting that the same places keep flooding to the same (unprecedented) extent every couple of years as though their audience are all bloody goldfish or something.

Bet there'll be a few awkward questions asked of the Councils in the aftermath of that Auckland one!
Maybe. The amount of rain extremely rare, and you can't build infrastructure for something that happens that infrequently.

Considering Auckland is built on an active volcanic field that erupts every 6-800 years on average, and the last eruption was 800 years ago, we have bigger fish to fry.

I'm nowhere near where that can happen, either.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The damage reports coming in are showing some pretty serious shit, with 3 dead so far as a collapsed house is found to have had someone inside.

More rain due over the next few days as the atmospheric river continues to aim straight at Auckland.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weathe ... n-auckland
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

TA do you mind if I paste a couple of your posts of commentary onto OF? A few are following the footage we get here and would appreciate a report from 'ground zero'. ??
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Help yourself.

There's definitely more to come on the story, with the rain headed our way.

We just sit on our hill and watch.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Thanks for that.
Sad about those casualties, unlucky or 'uninformed'?
We're a bit blase' about big rainfall as they got half a metre in 24hrs up the coast of Qld recently but those places are built to handle it, and the 'big drain' is right on their doorstep. Different problem in a city where it backs up.

Or out in the bush where it just lays on the flat plain and takes 6 weeks to flood one town at a time. At least they can calculate the height down the last sandbag layer now and have time to prepare for it. They even have time to truck the sandbags to the next town as the peak eases and before the flood front gets to them. Like a slow motion train wreck out there.
Towns are still only getting flooded now from those rains weeks ago and hundreds of Ks away.

It's our turn, down here it seems. Sydney's had a shellacking too but other than around Windsor most of the probs have been eased with better bigger drains over the decades and places which used to flood don't so much now. Well, not quite so much any way can't do miracles.

Re that overdue volcanic action thing.. That would do it for me. I'd be outa there tomorrow! :shock:
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:13 am Thanks for that.
Sad about those casualties, unlucky or 'uninformed'?
As far as I can tell, 3 unlucky and one Darwin Award. The guy with the Darwin nomination decided to go for a ride in his kayak, sans lifejacket, of course. Got swept into a flash flood running along a stormwater drain path and drowned.
Di Wundrin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:13 amWe're a bit blase' about big rainfall as they got half a metre in 24hrs up the coast of Qld recently but those places are built to handle it, and the 'big drain' is right on their doorstep. Different problem in a city where it backs up.
It's just the speed with which it fell that caused the problem - 120 mm in about 90 minutes, and more than that in the west of the city.

Still, I've been in worse. In 1981, the town of Paeroa got wiped off the map when the river burst its banks and sent 10 feet of water through the town. They re-built the whole place. Nobody died though, it was well telegraphed.

There is a funny side to it all - having got caught with their pants down over sending emergency signals, they sent one at 9 pm last night, just after the last of the heavy rain had passed.

Today, the media is pumping up "More extreme weather due tomorrow!!!"

Umm, no it's not. There's some rain due but nothing very heavy, while there's a good chance of trouble on Friday.

Some of these people need to learn to read a weather map. And that includes some of the weather forecasters.
Di Wundrin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:13 am Re that overdue volcanic action thing.. That would do it for me. I'd be outa there tomorrow! :shock:
There's a beautiful thing for when it does happen - the new volcano will be in a rich area. The poor fuckers all live too far from the city.

Where we are is fine - we live on the very geologically sound granite rise 20 km from the edge of the volcanic field.