Weather

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Weather

Post by arthwollipot »

Yeah, damn. We're continuing to have flooding in the Kimberly, where the road infrastructure is, shall we say, not great. And there are bushfires in other places.

Hope you packed your water wings, TA.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

No trouble where we are - ever since we were flooded in 1981 I figure living on a low hill is a good defence against flooding.

The damage done to the East Cape region is similar to what's happening in California, but since only about 200 people live there, nobody's been killed yet. Unbelievably, after two three tropical storms in a row, there's another one aiming at us next week, and a good likelihood of another after that, too.

The heaviest cyclone season in decades and they're all on a freight train to NZ.

Bring back El Nino!
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Got to admit, though I grew up in the great droughts of the 80s and 90s and therefore I can't not enjoy the rain, after three La Nina years in a row, the country could use a bit of dry.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

arthwollipot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:53 pm Got to admit, though I grew up in the great droughts of the 80s and 90s and therefore I can't not enjoy the rain, after three La Nina years in a row, the country could use a bit of dry.
I grew up in the great cyclones of the 40s 50s and can't get my head around the notion that somehow cyclones are being reported as something new (unprecedented) on the Oz East coast. They've got to be kidding!

It's not "climate change denial" to point out that the reports are bullshit is it? How is it?
The cyclone frequency changed in the 60s/70s and gradually over only a relatively few years, the 'climate' stopped hammering the coast with them at the rate of 3 or 4 per year to the point of them becoming rare.

Now THAT, was a climate change. When the cyclones abated the building boom took off. You could argue that climate change is responsible for the
shape and size of the Gold and Sunshine Coast regions
People in their 50s and younger grew up unaware of just how prevalent and damaging they were before their own memories kicked in.

People not seeing any cyclone activity of note for their entire lives would be susceptible to accepting that they're something 'new'. when they are really part of a constantly changing climate that happens a lot more slowly than 'living memory' perceives, and that cycles are part of that change and not nuisance anomolies to the preferred message of a steadily warming linear change. But I haven't time for this old dance right now.

We've clashed before Art, on ASF ?? Looking forward to catching up, we may get along better with a few years under our belts. I'm easy to get along with, just ask Sparky ;) Hell, I even get along with TA ... sometimes. :lol:

Just stirring, it's my job to keep you all awake. .. not a 'troll' I just take things a little less seriously than some around here. Life's worth laughing at more often I reckon. More humour, less science in the mix. It''s a bloody circus out there, not a funeral.

I miss the old gang. Maybe I'm an undiagnosed masochist or something... ? :D
sparks

Post by sparks »

Tis good to have you back Di. :)
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

I was pretty young at the time, but Cyclone Tracy was still prominent in peoples' memories when I was growing up.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:23 amMaybe I'm an undiagnosed masochist or something... ? :D
Jesus, don't say that word around here. The sheila who was helping me try to solve the fucking software will be round with her whip in a flash.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

I'll look up a new avatar then, sure I saw a suitable one somewhere recently, boots n black leather, didn't notice a whip but,.,

You'd have a chuckle at Old Farts, we're all finding new avatars and so far all have picked younger versions of our old ones. There was no discussion of it, we all just did. Most hadn't noticed until I mentioned it. "Hope springs eternal...?" :lol:
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

sparks wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 am Tis good to have you back Di. :)
Aww, thank you Sparky, Image

So, how're the cats and have they eaten all the ducks??
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Di Wundrin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:23 am
arthwollipot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:53 pm Got to admit, though I grew up in the great droughts of the 80s and 90s and therefore I can't not enjoy the rain, after three La Nina years in a row, the country could use a bit of dry.
I grew up in the great cyclones of the 40s 50s and can't get my head around the notion that somehow cyclones are being reported as something new (unprecedented) on the Oz East coast. They've got to be kidding!
Tried looking that up.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au ... -timeline/