Re: Weather

Post by stanky »

holy shit, TA! That looks real.
I hope you and yours are good.
Exciting stuff, eh?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:34 pmCertainly the first time I can recall a national emergency being declared.
Apparently it's only the third time in New Zealand's history.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:50 am holy shit, TA! That looks real.
Exciting stuff, eh?
Yeah mate, no worries here.

This is a good photo journey down North Island showing the damage - they're talking about total cost between 10 & 30 billion.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weathe ... estruction
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:36 am
Admin wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:34 pmCertainly the first time I can recall a national emergency being declared.
Apparently it's only the third time in New Zealand's history.
One of them was for covid, apparently. I didn't even notice.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:52 am
stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:50 am holy shit, TA! That looks real.
Exciting stuff, eh?
Yeah mate, no worries here.

This is a good photo journey down North Island showing the damage - they're talking about total cost between 10 & 30 billion.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weathe ... estruction

I'm trying to scale that event (and it's cost) with something here...with our 330 million people compared to your 5 mil...we're 66 times as many! An equivilent cost for us, at the low end estimate, is 66 times $10 billion. That'd be close to our Pentagon budget.

Who will you get to lend the money? Do the work? I have no sense of small, isolated nation's workings in these regards.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:51 pm I'm trying to scale that event (and it's cost) with something here...with our 330 million people compared to your 5 mil...we're 66 times as many! An equivilent cost for us, at the low end estimate, is 66 times $10 billion. That'd be close to our Pentagon budget.

Who will you get to lend the money? Do the work? I have no sense of small, isolated nation's workings in these regards.
Yeah, it's a lot of money, and interest rates aren't as friendly as they were during covid, when we borrowed $60B.

And we're going to have to borrow half of it, because only half will be covered by insurance. A lot of the damage is to infrastructure.

Here's a classic example of being a small country and how things turn to shit - this road should never have been built, and someone's going to have to think of a way to fix it: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/131225 ... -gabrielle
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Geeeezuz H on a bicycle! I take my eye off the forum for a day and just lookit the mess!

Sad to say there's been no more than 10 to 15 second 'reports' on the damage over there. 10 minutes of Turkey so nuthin' personal, just more dead in the M.E.

My hair hurts trying to assess what that's going to do the economic outlook, and general population's for that matter. So much for Cindy's 'kindness and happiness goals in government eh?
Don't glance at us for a loan, we're close to being on the bones of our arse too due to having a string of natural disasters, including this idiot Albo's government. He's still 'channelling' Cindy!
We look like opening up to migrants again soon though, get your names down asap. Or buy

Glad you've weathered it okay, sorry we batted it in your direction, but that's how weather goes.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Australia to swelter through another heatwave as hot weather warnings issued around the country
BoM forecasts parts of the country will reach the high 30s and low 40s on Thursday

Large parts of Australia are set to swelter through another heatwave in the coming days with hot weather warnings in place across the country.

The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting heatwaves around Australia from Thursday, with warnings already in place in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania.

Melbourne is projected to hit 40 degrees over the weekend and extreme fire warnings are expected to be put in place for SA, NSW and the NT amid the hot conditions.

Senior meteorologist at the BoM Christie Johnson said parts of Australia were forecast to reach the high 30s and low 40s on Thursday.
Uh, that's up to 100+ in freedom units.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Ummm. It's summer in Oz Art, it's supposed to be hot.

I've been whinging about missing out on it this year, hardly hit thirty at all here on the n. coast.

But I'm hot house flower, my blood freezes at 22C so I'm a big summer heat wave 'unprecedented temps' fan.

They've been getting it hot up around Gympie and Brissy according the whinge meter on the oldies forum, the humidity is the killer blow there though.
I used to go shopping in 43C heat in Singo and hardly felt it, very low humidity is the trick.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Dusting of snow on the ground this morning in Tucson.
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (235.52 KiB) Viewed 475 times