Weather

Start here
stanky

Re: Weather

Post by stanky »

oops, too warm.
Today, tornado warnings, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Bluebells in bloom; frogs mating; trees leafing out...
Our average last frost use to be May 10th....more than 2 months from now.

shit be crazy
grayman

Post by grayman »

5-8 inches of snow due here tonight.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I think I'd rather have the snow than tornadoes.
stanky

Post by stanky »

We lost power shortly after my post above. Everything was cancelled. We noticed how addicted to the power we were. Crazy day. There wasn't a tornado here, but the intense gusts continued sporadically through the day. I was out in the field, watching the trees over the McShack bop and weave.
I almost got blown over. Awesome feeling.
The house is surrounded by fairly big trees, all with problems. The wind took down lots of rotten wood, smashing on the metal roof. I'm too old to climb with a chainsaw and trim the trees; too not rich to hire a crew...

so far, we've been lucky. the plan is for more.

The temp went from 80 F to 33 in about 6 hours. Frog orgy put on hold.
sparks

Post by sparks »

I've got a chainsaw stank, but I can't leave the kitties alone long enough to get there with it and do any appreciable clean up.

I doubt they'd let me carry it on the plane!
stanky

Post by stanky »

Kitties first!

(I keep a chainsaw in the car. Never know when a tree has blocked the way.)

Tornadoes are freaky scary, but they only last a few seconds as they pass your house.
Friday was weird; more like a hurricane; went on all day.
https://news.yahoo.com/winds-approachin ... 58989.html
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:32 pm Friday was weird; more like a hurricane; went on all day.
Wind? Check this out, from the cyclone last month: https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/3 ... d-forestry

In Wellington, which is the best natural wind tunnel you ever saw, 150 kmh winds are at least an annual occurrence and nobody gets too bothered. We once went fishing in 150 kmh winds - casts of almost 200m and we caught a ton of fish. That's 94 mph in American.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Pretty spectacular storm blew through last night. I lost power for what was probably about an hour - I don't know exactly because I went to bed, and only got up to turn the lights off once they came on again.

Pretty bright and sunny today, though. The leaves on the liquidambar trees in Garema Place are starting to turn yellow. Autumn has arrived.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:27 pm

In Wellington, which is the best natural wind tunnel you ever saw, 150 kmh winds are at least an annual occurrence and nobody gets too bothered. We once went fishing in 150 kmh winds - casts of almost 200m and we caught a ton of fish. That's 94 mph in American.
Aircraft landing...or attempting to, at Wellington airport:

https://youtu.be/m0jnahV81AU
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:01 pm Pretty spectacular storm blew through last night. I lost power for what was probably about an hour - I don't know exactly because I went to bed, and only got up to turn the lights off once they came on again.

Pretty bright and sunny today, though. The leaves on the liquidambar trees in Garema Place are starting to turn yellow. Autumn has arrived.
Jesus, I know you're the Alaska of Australia, but that's early. Still high summer here. Or, to be more correct, summer finally arrived and the ground's drying out under sun and 28 degrees.
grayman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:04 pmAircraft landing...or attempting to, at Wellington airport:

https://youtu.be/m0jnahV81AU
Nice!

I've had flights both in and out of Wellington cancelled by high winds, and have some distinctly hairy landings.