Weather

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Weather

Post by arthwollipot »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:37 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:21 am Yes. I do swords.
Gamer?
No. Well, I mean yes, but not in this case.

I've studied sword fighting and Historical European Martial Arts for decades. Right now most of my practice is in the Live Action Role Playing (LARP) field, where we use safe foam weapons rather than actual steel, but I have done a good deal of study with steel as well. I try not to nerd out too hard when the subject comes up because nobody needs that.

Anyway. It was hot. But it was good. But it was hot.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:19 am It hit further south than originally projected?
Yes. The predicted path had it hitting Auckland, and given the damage it caused, I think we'd be looking at hundreds of deaths or more if it had.

One thing that hasn't been covered much is wind damage, because it didn't damage houses, so there are bigger stories.

We're currently in the middle of North Island and the wond damage is absolutely mind-blowing - thousands upon thousands of mature trees snapped off like matchsticks.

It's going to take the country a while to recover from this one.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sparks wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:17 am Holy fuck!

How can an individual contribute to the relief effort?
You can sling $20 at relief here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300809 ... -3-million
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:55 amDoes he own the silt on his property? Maybe he can sell it. People use that for topsoil in big developments. I've bought lots of it for jobs. It comes to us via river flood as well. It's good stuff. The corner stone of civilization. Otherwise, damn! That's some serious erosion. What's it look like at the eroded end? Must be some wicked new ditches if it's at all like KY.
No chance of selling anything - there are millions of tons of it.

The slippage that caused the silt is unreal - some hills have just about disappeared. The big problem is they've been so weakened that any further rain will bring down more - the whole countryside is scoured in some places. At least entire town looks to have been wiped out due to the hills behind it now lying mostly where the houses are.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:01 pm Holy shit TA! I must have been missing the news or they're not running it. Had no idea it was that bad. :shock:

good advice about that silt though, don't waste it. It grows fantastic onions apparently.

Where the hell would you start to clean that up??
I think they'll probably end up leaving it there.

I'm not convinced it's viable for soil, either - going by the source erosion, a lot of it's clay and it'll set like concrete.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I see USA is having a bit of a storm right now as well. https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/us-canada ... conditions
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:34 am I see USA is having a bit of a storm right now as well. https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/us-canada ... conditions
Blizzard warnings for the mountains above Los Angeles is unusual.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 322532002/

Way windy, kinda rainy in southern AZ today. Precip in the desert is a good thing.
stanky

Post by stanky »

We're looking for 80 F tomorrow. 2/22/23
Spring stuff is happening, but it's way too soon.
grayman

Post by grayman »

I awoke to sleet and snow this morning.

My day off, so I told the missus to take my Land Rover to work as it is better suited for this weather. Plus, she likes the heated seats on her back.

BTW stanky, Mrs. Gray says hello and she hopes you are doing well.
stanky

Post by stanky »

back at her, g.