Weather

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weather

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 pmVaccines could become the new Prozac.
Yeah, those vaccine manufacturers are so greedy and disgusting. Imagine if one of them had a life-saving vaccine that only cost $5 a shot. Lucky that will never happen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-66985273
stanky

Post by stanky »

That's great news, if true.
(The line about the data being published online before the normal scrutiny could be worrisome.)
Either way, it's quite unrelated to my attitude about the covid boosters in the U.S.
As mentioned, we need to differentiate between vaccines and health care systems.
Putting me in the anti-vax box would be a mistake.

Your link inadvertently points to the obvious in the mention of malaria research being chronically short-funded.
Diseases that mostly affect the impoverished are always shorted. Often, the cure would be decent sanitation; good water, and adequate nutrients.
Funny how the poor areas of Africa were passed by for the covid vaccine. Funnier that it didn't translate to more deaths.
The annual flu shot we're encouraged to get (in the U.S.) is also quite likely useless for most of us.

There's a zealotry around modern western medicine that seems to overlook the faddish nature of various popular meds...and the medical advice that surrounds them. One after another, they fall from grace...but we can't wait to hop on the next one. Vaccines deserve a more cautious approach. Mistakes have been made in the past. Eventually, i think vaccines will be considered crude interventions.
The latest covid boosters aren't free this time. Nor are they being greeted enthusiastically...especially among health care workers.
There's no way America will go along with another lock-down, imo. Or masks. They were pointless
The corruption of big pharma is legendary. It's almost quaint to hear someone defend them.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 amThere's no way America will go along with another lock-down, imo. Or masks. They were pointless...
They were only "pointless" because so many people refused to comply with them.

If everybody had isolated, and masked properly when unable to isolate, the pandemic would have been over within months.

The way to shut down a virus is to give it no opportunity to spread.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 am Putting me in the anti-vax box would be a mistake.
Yeah...
stanky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 am The annual flu shot we're encouraged to get (in the U.S.) is also quite likely useless for most of us.
stanky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 amEventually, i think vaccines will be considered crude interventions.
Nah.
stanky wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:59 amFunny how the poor areas of Africa were passed by for the covid vaccine. Funnier that it didn't translate to more deaths.
They weren't by-passed, and the reason fewer people died is blindingly obvious.

Average age USA = 38; average age Africa = 19

The vast majority of people who died from covid were 70+.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meanwhile, on weather...

Westerlies can FUCK OFF!

We've had constant westerlies for weeks, and it's due to continue for some time thanks to Senor Nino.

Can't go fishing, and even going outside is dangerous thanks to the severe pollen, carried by the lovely wind. It has the other effect of negating the value of rain in the dry areas in a matter of days. Mid-Canterbury in South Island, went from positive ground moisture to severe shortage in 10 days.

Fun summer ahead!
stanky

Post by stanky »

As I've heard it, the average age of the covid-dead (in the U.S.) is older than the average life expectancy.
I think the pandemic is over-rated. And the vaccine, suspect. And a bonanza.
I wish the focus was more on improving one's immune system and over all health.
No money in that.

The joke asides of my apparent anti-vaxness miss the mark. That vaccines will be considered crude interventions in the future is a notion i learned from a discussion among virologists.
As mentioned several times, i've had 3 of the moderna covid jabs. And not because my mommy made me get it. Nor any boss. Or club.
The knee jerk need to categorize each other; to choose sides, is indicative of the larger issue i tried to shine light on. The new divisiveness.
And the new super-charged greed.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Indian Summer here. Great time of year. Went swimming today.
Soon, it gets dark, cold and gloomy. All the color leaves with the leaves.
Garden freezes to death.

But, wow! We've had a few weeks of perfect.
Hoping to wallow in it again tomorrow.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Cold snap today after the wild weather. There are parts of eastern Victoria that have just been destroyed by fire in the last week and are now facing down severe flooding.
grayman

Post by grayman »

grayman

Post by grayman »

Hillbilly Weatherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wUp12oGIM

Yes, people from northern New Hampshire sound like that.