trump off the CO ballot

Start here
sparks

Re: trump off the CO ballot

Post by sparks »

Same here stank, sorry.

And I'd need to see some reasonably sourced quotes or video to change my mind.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Why would he refuse to move over for a younger candidate, knowing what the polls are saying, if he wasn't a narcissist?
There's plenty of video of Biden lying, even when he has no reason to. Cynical shit. He's bragging about b.s. employment #'s and the robust economy while the news shows desperation. Charades.

You been scammed.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Trump back on the Colorado ballot, and every other state. No surprises there.

Moreover, unanimous ruling. When all 9 agree, it's fairly safe that the legal issues weren't all that murky.

I haven't read the opinions, so I don't know if there were any interesting "dissent in part" opinions.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I read the opinions. Fairly straightforward.

The dissent/not dissent was mildly interesting. The liberals agreed with the judgement, but not with the reasoning. They did manage to slip in a few references to "oathbreaking insurrectionist". The core of the reasoning that the liberals objected to was that the judgement said only Congress can declare someone an insurrectionist. (Not exactly that, but close.) I'm pretty sure what the liberals wanted was to declare states couldn't do it, but then have someone sue in federal court, so that the issue of being an insurrectionist could be the subject of an actual trial. If only Congress is allowed to make such a declaration, then it seems impossible to have that come about.

The liberals themselves seemed hopping mad about that, and the press certainly has been. However, I think there's a point being missed. Only Congress has the power to enact legislation that would invoke the 14th amendment, but I think they already have. Insurrection is a crime. Surely it is an act of Congress, and he could be prosecuted. At that point, there would be no doubt. The federal courts would have ruled that he had engaged in insurrection, and then a court would have ruled that he is ineligible.

Sadly, he will not be prosecuted for insurrection, and for the simple reason that a jury wouldn't convict him. He could also be impeached, but that was tried and failed. Like it or not, it's up to the voters.

Who are mostly idiots, but that's democracy for you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:44 pm Trump back on the Colorado ballot, and every other state. No surprises there.
I said right from the start SCOTUS would rule in his favour.

Further proof the Democrats are stupid and are helping the fat sack of shit with their stupidity. America really needs to sort itself out.

On the flip side, the lack of government interference in the country in general shows that politics isn't that important domestically - the people and economy carry on while the fuckwits in Washington cause division and hatred.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:24 am
Meadmaker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:44 pm Trump back on the Colorado ballot, and every other state. No surprises there.
I said right from the start SCOTUS would rule in his favour.

Further proof the Democrats are stupid and are helping the fat sack of shit with their stupidity. America really needs to sort itself out.

On the flip side, the lack of government interference in the country in general shows that politics isn't that important domestically - the people and economy carry on while the fuckwits in Washington cause division and hatred.
Pretty much.

I have been reminding myself that Trump was President for four years, and most of us lived. I thought he did an awful job with the pandemic, but in retrospect I'm not sure the outcome would have been much better with a good job.

On other counts, it was mostly just embarrasment at being American while he was President.

I also hated his tax cuts, which made the debt worse, but every Republican President since Reagan has done that. I still hate it, but what can you do?

I will say again that I think his post-election antics, climaxing on Jan 6, ought to instantly disqualify him, but not necessarily legally. It's just that I think no one should vote for him ever again. But.....I voted against him in Michigan, for all the good it did. Somehow, voters don't agree with me, and our system produces bizarre results sometimes.

And even though he is the only person in my life that I thought might actually become a dictator, I think the odds are very long against that. I think the Constitution and the republic in general would stop it before it happened. I just hate that I even have to take the idea seriously.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

(Moved post to correct thread)
Last edited by Meadmaker on Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:24 amI said right from the start SCOTUS would rule in his favour.
Yeah, but the fact that even the non-Trump appointees voted for it means that the original CO ruling must have been constitutionally unsound in the first place.

In other words, that's not the way to get him. It's okay - there are other ways. He has made sure of that.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Meadmaker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:18 am "New bill would convict teachers of felony, put on sex offender list for trans support"

Wrong thread. Oops.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

The most recent Trump lawsuit is one that I think has more potential to do damage than most.

He is basically trying to stiff his investors in "Truth Social". They're suing. Unlike the other lawsuits, it is about current events and are not born of political motivations. The people suing are real people who stand to lose real money that The Donald is trying to funnel toward his one accounts.

I think, though, that any political fallout is not all that likely. By this point "it's just another lawsuit".