Science etc.

Start here
stanky

Re: Science etc.

Post by stanky »

sparks wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:21 pm Take a photo of you book shelf.
That would be hilarious if i could. I'd tell you what's on it, but you'd likely not believe it because of lack of evidence. I've mentioned a lot that i have no smart phone; shitty computer skills; slow server and typing issues. Mary has a cheap ($29) phone that takes a pic but is pure hell (for her; i don't touch it) to up-load anything.

btw, sparks, when i described the wild swing i was building, you asked for pics. Mary (bless her heart) tried to oblige and i sent you a private message with the link to a video a friend took of the swing in action. I couldn't post it for tech reasons. You never mentioned this. Meanwhile, another friend (unbeknownst to me) put a video on facebook of Mary riding the swing. I found out yesterday; haven't seen it; don't do facebook.

I chuckle at the book shelf thing because i have an amazing bookshelf. Two, actually. One has the usual epic science tomes, the new one, of my design, has neodymium magnets embedded in a laminated white oak board; covered by an 1/8th inch wood layer. It's a lovely shelf; white oak brackets; hidden screws; nice finish. Normal looking except for what is hanging from the underside. A hatchet, on it's pointed edge; a cast iron frying pan that can be spun on its handle, a claw hammer that spins on its claw. The top of the shelf is equally bizarre, with a variety of improbable objects, defying gravity in different ways.

(the wee magnets are the high quality grade 52 rare earth monsters; 1" tall cylinder x 1" wide with 1/4 ' hole thru; good for 90 lb lift. With the 1/8th inch of oak hiding them, they'll still hold 50 lbs.)

Mary has a pic of it on her dumb phone. If anyone here would allow, you could send me an email address by pm and i'd email the evidence. And some other stuff, equally amazing. Beyond that, it would require an absurd hassle for Mary.

Yeah, i have the coolest bookshelf ever!
(The other one has the usual nerd gems; Merck manuals; Origin of species; chaos theory stuff; Schrodinger's Cat; Penrose's Emperor's new mind; 3 lb universe; We are multitudes (great read about micro-biomes) Cetacean biology; esoteric math stuff; Mandlebrot; John Conway; etc. and lots of nature guide books for local flora and mushrooms.

But, hey! If i sent a pic of this, one should rightly express some doubts.
1. There's no proof that i ever read a drop of it.
2. A photo these days is evidence of nothing.

Two members here have been to my house. I didn't have the swing or the magnet shelf yet and i don't know that either looked at my bookshelf. I think grayman noticed some guitars; Prez noticed a French hillbilly with a joint; neither saw much of the stankerosa or the river for various reasons. Both probably saw some stone work and gardens and an eccentric old fool that built things. I'd imagine they could verify that much.

I'd love to show off my new shelf. It's the coolest! People would want one, i'm sure. Too bad the wee magnets have gone way up in price since i bought them years ago. I also have paintings on the wall that i did using magnetic fields interfering with a magnet pendulum swinging from the ceiling on a rod of Aluminum; holding a dripping bottle of paint. I have pics of them, too. They're stunning abstract art that i'd be proud to show off if someone can help. Formatting them for easy use is beyond me, but i'd happily send them how i can.

Wouldn't mind sharing some of my research as well. I've developed a means of encouraging tree frog egg survival...a nursery of sorts that enables the tadpole escape and protection from the normal predation or evaporation of breeding pool. Why? To see if the adults will eat the emerald ash borer...a bug that has devestated the white ash tree...of which we have hundreds of now dead ones.\

Prior to this attempt, i scoured the web for data; there was none. I contacted UK's entomology and herpetology departments to see if they would help. They asked if i would run a website for them. Shit. I'd suck at that. But i could supply the hell out of tree frogs.
(Snapping turtles too, btw. I've really bonded with them recently. Neat beasts.

damn it! Sux that ya'll have to miss this aspect of me and focus instead on this shit that divides us all for the crappiest reasons.

The U.S. ain't NZ or Oz. Here, we have ample reason to mistrust our government and our major media voices. Here, we have rational cause to dislike big pharma and that corruption.
I think the concept of vaccines is great; past ones have been lifesavers extraordinaire. Thank you, science!

That in no way exonerates the way-sketchy science leading to this covid jab. Can't see it? Don't want to? Love Moderna in a quirky, kinky way? wtf...never seen a single issue this touchy. A mere whisper of doubt can ruin one's life. And the passionate defenders of this massive rip-off are in a tough spot. At some point, crow will be eaten. You'll need extra blinders to avoid the exposure. We'll need a vaccine to protect us from this corruption. Sacred cows are being slaughtered. Lofty institutions are stained. Bogus journal articles and lying scam artists are becoming endemic. How the hell are you insulated from all this?

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

River was flooding when we were there, think it was April of 2015. We tried getting closer but there was nowhere to step, all water around all the trees. Saw your neighborś place nearby, think I called it the Neil Young house, the inside looked like a photograph, piano, antiques, like the the back of an album cover, beautiful. He grew shitake mushrooms out back.

Your place was more ramshackle, your bed was pretty much outside though there was a roof over it. I remember we had brought food, rotisserie chicken I think, french fries, that kind of stuff, it disappeared in a hurry. There was a masonry construction out front sort of between the two houses. When we met you pointed out a stain on the front of your shirt to break the ice.

Walked up an old road in the thick woods to the right side of your place a distance though everything was really wet. Think you posted something on which ever of TAś sites was active at the time, wondering where we had gone. Flooding everywhere. Second day we were there we hung out with the butler who lived in a little trailer nearby, think he had a small pickup, had no lack of paperback books, think that´s what he did a lot was sit in front of the little trailer and read those.

Don´t know why these guys are such assholes in giving you a little grief, stanky, this used to be a nice place
sparks

Post by sparks »

Everyone has tech. Why is it that your the only one that has problem with it?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sparks wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:47 pm Everyone has tech. Why is it that your the only one that has problem with it?
I had this exact discussion yesterday with someone who was crying about old people not understanding or able to operate computers.

I gave the examples of two guys aged 92 & 94 and a woman of 102, all of whom have no problem operating computers and navigating the internet successfully.

None of it's hard and there are help pages everywhere.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 pm Don´t know why these guys are such assholes in giving you a little grief, stanky, this used to be a nice place
It's just like the grief you used to give Di on her political opinions, except politics doesn't bother me, but repeating antivax lies does.

I know stanky's not an antivaxer, but he has a disconcerting ability to swallow and regurgitate their lies, so he might as well be.

It's something I see on the left a lot - some people get so wrapped up in the inequity of it all that they believe in some nebulous conspiracy of ebil billionaires when it's nothing more than capitalism in action. A smart person would blame Milton Friedman, as Liz Warren did, but I haven't noticed anyone springing to her defence.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:24 am
sparks wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:47 pm Everyone has tech. Why is it that your the only one that has problem with it?
I had this exact discussion yesterday with someone who was crying about old people not understanding or able to operate computers.

I gave the examples of two guys aged 92 & 94 and a woman of 102, all of whom have no problem operating computers and navigating the internet successfully.

None of it's hard and there are help pages everywhere.
If my octogenarian dad can use a smartphone, anyone can.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 am
President Bush wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 pm Don´t know why these guys are such assholes in giving you a little grief, stanky, this used to be a nice place
It's just like the grief you used to give Di on her political opinions, except politics doesn't bother me, but repeating antivax lies does.
I generally tried to approach Di´s right-wing outspokenness with at least a bit of humor, something she sometimes didn´t seem interested in, more jazzy to take offense. Sure never called her a cunt.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I'd rather be called a cunt than a republican.

sparky, here's my excuse about having the computer skills of a 92 year old from Albania:

where i live is very rural and poor, by U.S. standards. Our land is remote and it was slow to have internet. The high speed stuff through the phone lines came late; dial up before that...so i didn't get way into it. I was into photography before this, film, and could use cameras. The digital stuff, not so much. Mary went through a bunch of early digital cameras; they gave her fits; i stayed away from it.
Basically, it doesn't work well here. Can't get bars on phones to make calls, so why learn how? slowly learn to kinda hate the stuff, and facebook and everyone looking at that device all the time...and especially the way kids, who use to be cool to be around, became a drag. start getting a mental block regarding computer world. need to get out more and flex the eyes and such.

figured everyone else has it covered. i'm plenty busy with other pursuits. This is the only time or place where this 'illiteracy' is an issue in my life. I can look up stuff; email friends and family; do this place poorly, i guess...but with authentic ol' timey-like writing.
To accommodate you would cost me lots of time and money and i'm short on both. Being retarded with this tech does allow some perks. I get to do other stuff and try to solve puzzles that arise. Being super savy with it is great, though something is lost along the way.
Nostalgia? Maybe.
or maybe i just don't love it enough.
i hate what it's done to kids. they seem physically retarded to me. lazy; curiosity gone outside of the screen...gasp!

yeah, it's a "get off my lawn!" thing.
someone started a thread here about the internet being the worst invention. and that we're doomed. we're all different and the same.
i don't hunt or text or gamble but i play guitar and suspend myself upside down in the woods...so, wtf...calling that vax a scam touches nerves like i didn't expect. Like saying something ugly to an Italian dude about his mother. Or shooting an un-armed n-worder.

it's the insane reaction that brought my attention to that issue. There was a lot of hype going on. We were pretty isolated from the experience; not impacted noticeably; no kids in school, etc. I liked it better than usual, as per being slow and uncrowded. Had less visitors. didn't mind much.

i'll be off soon enough; why bother being miserable now trying to learn stuff i don't much like? I got experiments going on constantly. with objects. and plants. i ain't even lying. I envy me for this more than i pity me for being illiterate here. I'm sure i can do stuff you can't. Why can't you? Send a report to my desk by 9 am.

long posts are archaic; too bad Di's gone. We had fun. she'd play in this mess. being writers made us more in common than our opposite politics separated us. dying breed, as she's recently proven.

me next. euthanasia when it gets too shitty; self-mercy.
finishing up, as it were.
i'm a happy guy.
skinny girlfriend; amazing home; do what i want, mostly.
all luck.
gratitude helps the flavor; pain polishes resolve.

equinox!

time for a trip!
bluebells blooming, streams bubbling

it's freaking beautiful right here
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:12 am I generally tried to approach Di´s right-wing outspokenness with at least a bit of humor, something she sometimes didn´t seem interested in, more jazzy to take offense. Sure never called her a cunt.
The only female I've ever referred to as a cunt is Margaret Thatcher, I think.

We use the term a lot more freely in Aus/NZ than other places.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:49 am equinox!

time for a trip!
bluebells blooming, streams bubbling

it's freaking beautiful right here
poppies are blooming, nice time of year here in AZ...
thumbnail - 2024-03-19T170438.939.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-03-19T170438.939.jpeg (230.65 KiB) Viewed 75 times