Science etc.

Start here
stanky

Re: Science etc.

Post by stanky »

That's a stretch, 40 years of lifespan gained from medical science...
i'd give adequate nutrition more credit.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm sure you would, but as usual, you'd be wrong.

The main change has been a massive decrease in child mortality, which is entirely due to advances in medicine and hygiene, and the hygiene is a medical advance, because our understanding of infection has been driven by medical research.

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Infant mortality is the most important determiner of life expectancy. Public health improvements are a more significant influence on that than big pharma.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

There's an enduring historical myth that in ancient and medieval times most people didn't live much past 40. It's not true. What is true is that many children died in infancy (and many mothers in childbirth), which brought the average age down. If someone lived until they were 20, they would probably live until they were 70, discounting the effects of war or disease (which also brought the average down).
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Anybody had COVID lately? If not, I'll start the trend. Either that or I'm going to have kittens.

Bad cough that I can feel in my upper back muscles, hurts when I hack. Headache mainly gone, guess I've had it a few days. FL, too, though she feels fine.

Good thing we are fucking retired because today is setup day for this where we've long been otherwise, very busy, lots of work.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am I'm sure you would, but as usual, you'd be wrong.

The main change has been a massive decrease in child mortality, which is entirely due to advances in medicine and hygiene, and the hygiene is a medical advance, because our understanding of infection has been driven by medical research.

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy
Strange how smug you can be when pushing pseudo-science. In fact, it's propaganda in this case...as it is when estimating the number of lives saved via the covid vaccine. Hygiene is a good example. Do we owe it to medical science that people don't want flies on their food?
Or that they tell the kids not to shit in the drinking water? Or is some of that instinctual?

What if we looked at military science in the same way?
How many deaths can we claim for that?
My aim here is to clean up science-like claims that are actually agenda driven...in defense of the method that we call science.

The 'evidence' you would link to is simply more of the same empty rhetoric.
Meanwhile, we're a nation of chronically sick people, taking absurd amounts of prescribed drugs, at the suggestion of a doctor who is likely bribed by way of incentives and payments from pharma.

I wish you'd defend science instead of Pfizer and the like. If you ever do, you'll be appalled by the amount of corruption.
Is corruption an aspect of the scientific method?
Have you lost the ability or intention to think critically?
Evidently, you've decided to put me in a box that doesn't fit.
Are you doing the same thing with medicine?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:08 pm... 'evidence' ...
The irony of a bloke who has never posted any evidence beyond YouTube mentioning evidence is very deep.

If you were able to read you'd see I'm not defending big Pharma, but asking what the alternative is - a question you assiduously avoid.
stanky

Post by stanky »

nonsense.
the alternative to our drug-motivated health care is to be healthy.
to settle in to the American diet is to get one of the many chronic illnesses like diabetes.
How does one avoid obesity? Don't we all know the answer?
How to counter our insane dependence on drugs?
Take less. Or none.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Classic circular reasoning stank.

C'mon dude.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

stanky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:19 am nonsense.
the alternative to our drug-motivated health care is to be healthy.
That would be the ideal, but healthy people still get diseases and die from them.

A quarter of the world's population isn't able to access enough food to have a healthy diet: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/7/1 ... hy-food-un

You're being absurdly naive here.