A very depressing video from Gaza

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: A very depressing video from Gaza

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:24 pm
President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:48 pmI doubt exressing an unpopular opinion at a baseball game will get you fired. Unless it is then amplified wildly on social media.
Generally true, but a lot of employers are including behaviour outside of work as a disciplinary matter nowadays. If you're seen waving a Nazi flag, you're probably going to get fired.
I doubt that the people who are the subject of this story: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... h-00125333 were seen flying the Nazi flag.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:46 am
Admin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:24 pm
President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:48 pmI doubt exressing an unpopular opinion at a baseball game will get you fired. Unless it is then amplified wildly on social media.
Generally true, but a lot of employers are including behaviour outside of work as a disciplinary matter nowadays. If you're seen waving a Nazi flag, you're probably going to get fired.
I doubt that the people who are the subject of this story: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... h-00125333 were seen flying the Nazi flag.
From your link:
Many of us are much more public actors in the world than we were in a pre-social media age. We’re addressing a broader audience. We can sound off to people we don’t know. So I think for sure, that is a part of it. I have been struck by this mania for letters and declarations. It feels like a new phenomenon where people feel compelled — if they have strong views on a matter — to make it public in some form.
Protest is not a matter of convenience but don't tell that to social media users.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I use to scream obscenities underwater in crowded pools. I found it soothing.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:32 amIs the name of the team "the Nazis"? Otherwise, it seems unlikely anybody will be waving a Nazi flag at a baseball game.
I was using "Nazi flag" as an allegorical point rather than a specific act. As it happens, one of the major ethnic gangs in NZ, the Mongrel Mob - who are 99% Maori or Pasifika - use Nazi and Confederate insignia and chants.

None of them are employed anyway.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

IDF killed three hostages by "friendly fire" today. Apparently, the hostages were separated from their captors and were alone on the streets. It is not known if they escaped or were released. One way or another they were on the streets and now they are dead.

I have a feeling that the IDF is rather cavalier about civilian casualties. Maybe this could get people to think that, "If it moves, shoot it." is not the best possible rules of engagement.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:36 am
arthwollipot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:45 pmIt's not so much that hate speech is being penalized in the USA today. It's just the wrong kind of hate speech that is penalized.
The reference to the "wrong kind of hate speech" implies that there is a "right kind of hate speech" and that's not something I can get on board with.
I think what Stanky was getting at, and what I intended to echo, was that there were forms of hate speech that were approved by the Powers That Be. This is especially true during wars and run ups to war.
I'm not sure that makes a difference.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:28 pmI have a feeling that the IDF is rather cavalier about civilian casualties. Maybe this could get people to think that, "If it moves, shoot it." is not the best possible rules of engagement.
The part I think is most ironic about it is, having cried about antisemitism for the past 4000 years, they've just guaranteed a massive increase in the levels of hate towards Israel. Right now, Israel would lose a popularity contest against Putin.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I'm optimistic that human society will evolve after a slew of old man relinquish their cold grip on power by dying.
I object to the elderly getting free respect. Some old people have been assholes all their lives. Why respect that length ?
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:14 am I'm optimistic that human society will evolve after a slew of old man relinquish their cold grip on power by dying.
I object to the elderly getting free respect. Some old people have been assholes all their lives. Why respect that length ?
I look at the youth of the world and don't see much cause for optimism, as far as world peace is concerned. They seem just as willing to impose their beliefs on others, and subjugate those who are different, than the generations before them.

Within the context of this conflict, all I see that has changed is who supports whom. Now we have "river to the sea" being shouted by all sorts of young people. They're still promoting war, just as their ancestors did.

Of course, they might not know what they are doing. I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing for the future. Maybe once they figure it out, they'll stop. I read an amusing article in a facebook post. (No link, sorry.) It was in a newspaper editorial. The writer attended a pro-Palestine march where "from the river to the sea" was being chanted by American college students. The writer then went in to some of the chanters and asked them which river, and which sea. Needless to say, many of the chanters didn't know. Some didn't realize that they were talking about an actual river and an actual sea. They thought it was just some sort of metaphor.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Young people invoking the idea ¨from the river to the sea¨.

Looks like Prime Minister Netanyahu´s son is no different:

https://www.instagram.com/yair_netanyahu/?hl=en