Life's better moments.

Start here
President Bush

Re: Life's better moments.

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:23 am That's why you're the president.

I'm barely the attorney general.
I started here
stanky

Post by stanky »

That's great!

Did you know that house cats are actually good swimmers? But they don't know it?
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks

Post by sparks »

There's an element of cruelty in that bullshit. Mr Dickhead needs to spend some time in his local jail. Being waterboarded.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

sparks wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:32 pm There's an element of cruelty in that bullshit. Mr Dickhead needs to spend some time in his local jail. Being waterboarded.
Mr Dickhead has something to say about that...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xuj4mTxFR8Q
stanky

Post by stanky »

sparks wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:32 pm There's an element of cruelty in that bullshit. Mr Dickhead needs to spend some time in his local jail. Being waterboarded.
There's an element of cruelty in that bullshit.
(etc)
Pres, nope, don't remember that one. The cat that showed me his swimming power was a stray that was hangin' out here. We didn't like him go. We already had two cats. "Al" as we called him, loved to be between your feet when you went down stairs...especially if you're hands are occupied with something heavy and delicate. He also killed lots of song birds and lizards, like most cats, and enjoyed shitting and or puking where foot traffic is heavy. Like most cats, he was far crueler than i've even imagined. The third time he caused me to trip on steps, we were next to the Cumberland back water. I tossed him in. In anger. Not to kill him; to make him look for a new patsy.

Didn't work, btw. He swam like Mark Spitz, pulled himself up to shore, gave a shake, and came over to bug me. The gesture didn't phase him. I'd say he enjoyed it. After that, i'd toss him in the water every time he bugged me. Always came right back to me.

His demise was touching. One day, a stranger drove down here, looking for his hunting dog. While he was describing the dog, and where he lived, "Al" came over and started to rub against me. I asked him if he wanted a cat...expecting a strong negative. Instead, he was delighted to take Al. Mary and I glanced at each other, amazed at our luck; delighted that Al found a home. This guy must love cats, because then he said "I'll take any cat I can."

Like most fellas around here, he was driving a pick-up truck with a tool box in back. He grabs the cat by the scruff, and unceremoniously tosses him in the toolbox and shut the lid. He was driving away when we deduced that he was eating cats. much as we hated the cat, we felt a bit dirty.

Over the decades here, the eccentric characters are dying off. It's getting very homogeneous here ,almost indistinguishable, at least in town, from the folks in rural Kansas or even N.J. The crazy names are dying off, too. More kids are named after popular movie stars of the moment. Kinda sad.
When i first came here, i met some people that had a dog and pony show. On remote forest land. I mean they ate dogs and ponies. Sustainably, even.
Much as i found it repugnant, it made as much sense as most food plans. The dogs, for instance, were organic. They got along with delicious ponies and the system functioned with minimal disruption. It made me more aware of the arbitrary nature of our so called morality.

Still, i didn't take up that animal husbandry.

(The folks were remarkably healthy. Good meat, i reckon. Never had it.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Have eaten bobcat meat, in Mexico many moons ago. Tastes like the way a cat smells, ugh. Had the chance to eat dog in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Stopped when somebody said it was probably a street dog, no thanks.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

hey sparks, soory if that was too rude. That was this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Donoghue

Here is another classic from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZG-_7W7jzk
stanky

Post by stanky »

We've got an exotic food lately: black walnut butter. Bumper crop of nuts in this area this autumn. Mary gathered, cured, busted and picked at them for a few weeks of evenings. I suggested the butter, so we ground some up in a processor; just the nuts, and it's intense stuff. The nuts are at the top of the list, nutritionally. They're so rich, they make a dense paste in a few seconds of blade. Intense flavor. Some don't like it, the aromatic aspect. For me, it's the lure of them, that taste some hate. The after-taste is so good, i have to have a bit more. There's a quazi-poison in all parts of the tree. It is said to have anti-parasite properties. Big year for paw-paws too. I love eating stuff from the forest. It feels ancient. Takes a fair amount of work, but it's invigorating and i love being in the forest. In a difficult situation, like shit hitting fan, i'd probably hunt for termites; eat the eggs and larva.
It's a different take on a country boy can survive sentiment. I wouldn't waste energy hunting the fauna. It's sparse now (except deer and turkey) and would likely be gone in a day.

the termite eggs are good raw. Tastes like tofu.
I'm not itching for survival all that much. If i was, i'd be glad for some knowledge of the local fungi. There's all manner of mushrooms that aren't desirable, but are edible and nutritious. Cicada grubs are huge, as are june beetle larva. We've eaten them. The white oak acorns are good after a leaching in the creek to flush out the tanins. Big history as native food. There isn't any competition for such stuff. The more conventionally macho dudes are thinking guns blasting type survival. It's unlikely they'd go for the stinging nettle leaves if they could find them. That's what would keep me adequately fed. The more obvious food, like deer, would be gone in a flash in s.h.t.f. assuming regulations would be ignored. If need be, i'd find a place to hide, and stay there, fasting, until the chaos died down. It's not my fantasy, at this age, to wrestle for survival in a dystopian future. I'd know how, better than some, but i doubt i'd be interested at that point. I'd keep an ample shot of morphine on hand, ideally. Though heroin or even fentanyl would do. In lieu of an opiate escape, i know some plants that would euthanize me if i allowed it. Possibly eastern diamond back rattlesnake would oblige as nurse.

I just realized i'm having insomnia. 2:20 a.m. and i'm spewing off topic drivel. sorry.
grayman

Post by grayman »

All mushrooms are edible...just some of them only once.