Life's better moments.

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Life's better moments.

Post by Admin »

Seems perfectly reasonable to me - I'm sure most of the christian religion involved revelations that occurred during psychedelic episodes.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

As Robert Anton Wilson said, "the freaked out Revelation of Saint John the Mushroom-Head".

Though I have heard a moderately convincing argument that in fact he may have been high on ergot.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

A guy who loved taking psychedelics in large doses wrote about this sort of thing. A buddy of mine knew him in Hawaii, sounds as if he was an extremely articulate nut...
In a more radical version of biophysicist Francis Crick's hypothesis of directed panspermia, McKenna speculated on the idea that psilocybin mushrooms may be a species of high intelligence,[3] which may have arrived on this planet as spores migrating through space[8][66] and which are attempting to establish a symbiotic relationship with human beings. He postulated that "intelligence, not life, but intelligence may have come here [to Earth] in this spore-bearing life form". He said, "I think that theory will probably be vindicated. I think in a hundred years if people do biology they will think it quite silly that people once thought that spores could not be blown from one star system to another by cosmic radiation pressure," and also believed that "few people are in a position to judge its extraterrestrial potential, because few people in the orthodox sciences have ever experienced the full spectrum of psychedelic effects that are unleashed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna
grayman

Post by grayman »

I love the things I learn here.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

So you're saying that a guy high on mushrooms says that mushrooms might be aliens?

I'm convinced!
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Shut up, mom. Shut up, dad.
stanky

Post by stanky »

seriously, McKenna is worthy of knowing. He's a pretty good talker. Razor intellect.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

President Bush wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:52 am Shut up, mom. Shut up, dad.
Mom, dad... want to get upset, listen to this, from Sept 10, 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyhoGUAcOBI
sparks

Post by sparks »

stanky wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:32 pm seriously, McKenna is worthy of knowing. He's a pretty good talker. Razor intellect.
He conjectures that spores bearing intelligence but not life traveled through space until encountering Planet Earth. Whereupon surviving entry through the atmosphere, grew into your basic magic mushrooms. And by eating same, we can better ourselves.

Now I enjoy shrooms myself from time to time, but IMHO that is one of the biggest crocks of shit I've ever encountered.

He's worth knowing? Only to be able to avoid the type in the future.

Razor intellect? Well that's a matter of definition, isn't it?