ISF Dead...

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

ISF Dead...

Post by Admin »

Jesus, they have some issues there.

It'll probably be back up later, or tomorrow, but sheesh, that place is hopeless. I did offer to buy it, but Icerat wanted to keep it himself, and it looks like he's losing interest, with constant problems lately.

You never know, a new board here and some of them might be tempted to move on over.
President Bush

Re: ISF Dead...

Post by President Bush »

Like somebody once said: no one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

It's been down for 24 hours, so it's not very crowded right now.

Whether it's the final blow, it's not good for the remaining few. I'll put our details on the Facebook page.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Icerat got it going again. This happens occasionally, and to his credit he does keep it going. But I'd rather a landlord that wasn't quite as absentee.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:20 am Icerat got it going again. This happens occasionally, and to his credit he does keep it going. But I'd rather a landlord that wasn't quite as absentee.
It definitely gives lie to the ideas he makes money from it - nobody lets a resource that creates income drop off.

Why he doesn't have automatic renewal interests me.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:20 am Icerat got it going again. This happens occasionally, and to his credit he does keep it going. But I'd rather a landlord that wasn't quite as absentee.
The reports of ISF death have been greatly exaggerated.

It's interesting reading ISF with no option to reply. I've been lurking for a year and it does create an interesting perspective. People really do love to shout into the ether with not much awareness of actual dialog.

Overall, I think Icerat just keeps it going and hands it over to Darat to actually run, and I think Darat does a pretty good job. It certainly maintains some good, and sometimes informative, conversation. I had my complaints over the years, but generally I thought it was pretty good.

Well, yeah, I did flounce while complaining about management, but it was really just that I was spending too much time there and had a new job. I had been contemplating drifting away, when something ticked me off, and I decided to not give myself the option of getting into one more pointless argument.

For reasons I don't understand, people seem to gravitate towards platforms with one way communication, and forums decline, but so it goes.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

If you're on Facebook I recommend following the International Skeptics page, and not just the JREFugees page. Icerat posts there when there's an outage.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I must remember to check that FB page, but I go there so infrequently I'll probably forget when it happens.
Meadmaker wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:01 amOverall, I think Icerat just keeps it going and hands it over to Darat to actually run, and I think Darat does a pretty good job.
That's clearly true, and god only knows why he does it. His sig line may be revealing.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Not as dead as these cigarettes.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:29 am I must remember to check that FB page, but I go there so infrequently I'll probably forget when it happens.
Meadmaker wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:01 amOverall, I think Icerat just keeps it going and hands it over to Darat to actually run, and I think Darat does a pretty good job.
That's clearly true, and god only knows why he does it. His sig line may be revealing.
I'm generally quite happy with the Icerat/Darat team, but I confess to being mildly annoyed when a reasonable change is proposed and Darat says "I have no authority to change that". I personally don't think Icerat would care if he did.