US govt to recommend no more than 2 drinks per week of alcohol

Start here
Meadmaker

US govt to recommend no more than 2 drinks per week of alcohol

Post by Meadmaker »

So.....I've seen on the interwebs all sorts of stories the last few days about a proposal for the US govenrment, I think specifically the FDA but I'm not sure, is going to change the drinking guidelines. Right now, those guidelines say that for men, they should limit the number of drinks to no more than 2 per day. That's going to change, so the rumors say, to no more than 2 drinks per week.

This has sparked much consternation from commentators.

For me, though, it prompts two rather obvious questions:

1. Why is the government issuing guidelines about how much to drink and
2. Why would anyone care what they think?
President Bush

Re: US govt to recommend no more than 2 drinks per week of alcohol

Post by President Bush »

Read that this would be if the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism changes its current guidelines to match Canada’s guidelines that recommend just two drinks per week.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/u-s ... -per-week/

In my experience a drink in Canada generally amounts to around seven, maybe eight liters.

I think fourteen to sixteen liters a week should be manageable.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Works for me!

(An old Bob and Doug McKenzie sketch where they said, "Count me in on metric!" comes to mind.

For those who never heard it....they were explaining how to convert from standard to metric measures. You double it and add thirty. So, if you had a six pack, in metric you would have 42 beers.)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:01 pmThat's going to change, so the rumors say, to no more than 2 drinks per week.
Well, as long as one drink is a Jereboam, I'm good!

J/K - I hardly drink booze.
Meadmaker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:01 pm For me, though, it prompts two rather obvious questions:

1. Why is the government issuing guidelines about how much to drink and
The government provides recommendations on cigarette smoking - don't do it - and many public health notices. Booze seems pretty fair game.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:01 pm1. Why is the government issuing guidelines about how much to drink and
Economics.

Unhealthy, unproductive citizens are a drain on the economy. There is an economic incentive for governments to encourage citizens to be healthy and productive. Public heath recommendations are an attempt to encourage citizens to take care of themselves so that the government doesn't have to.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I just can't imagine anyone saying, "Well, the FDA says no more than two drinks this week. I had better not have one tonight. I already had one on Tuesday, and I want to be able to do one more with my friends on Saturday at the bar."

I suppose there is some marginal value in it, in countering the widespread belief that moderate drinking is good for you. I know once upon a time a study was published saying that a glass of wine every day leads to longer life. Followup studies I think showed that not to be the case. At least, so I've read. Maybe having a government pronouncement that it isn't good for you after all might have some positive impact on public health. At least, it could. I can't imagine it being measureable, but who knows?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Meadmaker wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:40 am I just can't imagine anyone saying, "Well, the FDA says no more than two drinks this week. I had better not have one tonight. I already had one on Tuesday, and I want to be able to do one more with my friends on Saturday at the bar."

I suppose there is some marginal value in it, in countering the widespread belief that moderate drinking is good for you. I know once upon a time a study was published saying that a glass of wine every day leads to longer life. Followup studies I think showed that not to be the case. At least, so I've read. Maybe having a government pronouncement that it isn't good for you after all might have some positive impact on public health. At least, it could. I can't imagine it being measureable, but who knows?
I'm pretty sure nobody saw a "Got MIlk?" commercial and immediately said to themself "You know what? I could really do with a nice cold glass of milk right now."

But that's not the point.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Only one point here. No one is going to give a fuck what the latest bullshit recommendation is. They're going to keep doing what they want.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

sparks wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:39 am Only one point here. No one is going to give a fuck what the latest bullshit recommendation is. They're going to keep doing what they want.
You'd think so, but it turns out it's not entirely true. Look at the change in attitudes around smoking, because of public health campaigning.

Of course, those with Alcohol Use Disorder are an exception. They need other interventions. I may be speaking from experience here.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Change comes slowly, eh?