Planet America

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Planet America

Post by arthwollipot »

We used to just call it "the pool". There was an area at the pool that fit the description, but it didn't have a specific name.

It's been years since I've been to a public pool though, because, you know, urine.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:11 am We used to just call it "the pool". There was an area at the pool that fit the description, but it didn't have a specific name.

It's been years since I've been to a public pool though, because, you know, urine.
https://youtu.be/TPxiXGr9nFM?si=7VfjaEzPezYb9A67&t=32
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I just read a Daily Mail article about the shooting, and they earned their nickname. They placed it in the Denver suburb of Richmond Hills. It was actually in the Detroit suburb of Rochester Hills.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:41 am Anybody keeping score?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2-killed-oth ... 57608.html
I think the calculator they use broke.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

This is just beautiful. I had to check the calendar in case a freak wormhole had turned it back to 2024 BC.
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom, the latest move from a GOP-dominated Legislature pushing a conservative agenda under a new governor.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/louisian ... d92e240408
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Admin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:49 am This is just beautiful. I had to check the calendar in case a freak wormhole had turned it back to 2024 BC.
Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom, the latest move from a GOP-dominated Legislature pushing a conservative agenda under a new governor.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/louisian ... d92e240408
I was going to post about the same thing.

A similar law was deemed unconstitutional some years ago. I honestly don't remember how many. it was somewhere between 20 and 40 years ago. So, it seems that Louisiana legislators are hoping that they will overrule that ruling just like they did Roe v. Wade.

I would hope they are wrong, but I've given up trying to make sense of things. I think they'll lose.

I'm certain that there will be an injunction against enforcement very quickly. I'm fairly certain the appeals court that hears it will also stand against the law, because the precedent is undeniable and there's just no way to weasel your way around it. My guess is, at that point, the Supreme Court will choose not to hear the case. That last part, though, is just a guess.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I find it distrubing that I read a few news articles about this new law, and only one of those articles mentioned that there was an existing case.

It was Stone v. Graham, from 1980.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Also Louisiana, pretty much twelve years to the date:

https://www.loweringthebar.net/2012/07/ ... ogram.html
Legislator Upset That Muslims Want to Use School-Voucher Program Too

According to the report, “Hodges mistakenly assumed that ‘religious’ meant ‘Christian.'”
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I read the law.

It's a bit chilling to me. It's so blatant. Even back in the day when school prayer was normal in America, there were no laws requiring it. (Or...maybe there were. I don't remember. I had a discussion recently with my older siblings. I said I thought that Grace was said before school lunch at my public school, even though it would have been after the Supreme Court ruling outlawing it. They said they didn't remember that, so I could be mistaken. I was in first grade at the time.

I know there were prayers said at our high school before any school banquet, e.g. the National Honor Society had a dinner every year to bring in new members, and there was always a prayer. There were prayers at graduation as well. This was long after classroom prayer had been struck down, but prayers at ceremonies weren't struck down until 1993. (Lee v. Weissman (sp?))

Anyway, even back in those days, the legislatures never tried to specify the exact wording. This law says the exact words that have to be posted.

Interestingly, at the top of the page it has to say "The Ten Commandments". However, the text, mandated by law, does not number the commandments 1-10. There's no numbers at all, and they aren't broken into 10 groups. This is presumably because they wanted to avoid inter-Christian haggling. In the Bible, they aren't numbered 1-10 either. It says there are ten of them, but Catholics, Protestants, and Jews break them up into ten statements in 3 different ways. Before I looked at the law, I assumed they would use the Protestant version, but I guess the Catholic influence of the legacy French and Spanish, and probably modern Hispanic, influence was strong enough they decided to avoid the argument.

One more aside, they also aren't called "The Ten Commandments" in the Bible. The word used is better rendered "Proclamation" or "statement" or something like that. The word for "commandment" is mitzvah, plural mitzvot, but the Bible does not call them the 10 mitzvot. But when speaking English, Jews also use the phrase "Ten Commandments".

Anyway, get out the popcorn.