Planet America

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: Planet America

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:44 pm If we don't remember history we're doomed to repeat it. Plus, these people gave their LIVES for fucks sake.
Sure. But, of all the Americans who died in WWII, less than 1% died on D-Day. Somewhat less then 10% died in Normandy.

For those who didn't fight in Normandy, I just wondered how they felt about all the attention paid to that one battlefield so many years later.

In some of the commemorations I saw stateside during this year's events, some included any WWII veteran. That isn't a whole lot of folks these days, but I think at the Normandy memorials,even today you only get a spot on the stage if you were part of the invasion force.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

I think D-Day is commemorated not for the number of soldiers who died, but for the pivotal effect it had on the war.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

arthwollipot wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:24 pm I think D-Day is commemorated not for the number of soldiers who died, but for the pivotal effect it had on the war.
I think it has become a stand-in for all aspects of WWII. For Americans, it was the biggest day of the war in terms not just of people killed, but of people who entered combat for the first time. I'm not sure about Britain, but it might have been. For Canada, more people were killed at Dieppe.

It was also so anticipated. Everyone knew it was coming, but no one knew when, so there was drama. There were celebrations and headlines and ringing the Liberty Bell and all of that. So, it's perfectly understandable that that day, and Pearl Harber, are more significant than a lot of other days.

But for veterans, I'll bet that the truly most significant day was the day they were getting shot at the most. That could cover an awful lot of days.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

grayman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:30 pm A battle one does not hear of (and a film waiting to be made) -

The Battle of Bamber Bridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... 0Street%22.
thanks gman, didn't know about that.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Better late than never...
A Florida court has ordered Chiquita Brands International to pay $38m to the families of eight Colombian men murdered by a paramilitary death squad, after the American banana giant was shown to have financed the terrorist organisation from 1997-2004.

The landmark ruling late on Monday came after 17 years of legal efforts and is the first time that the fruit multinational has paid out compensation to Colombian victims, opening the way for thousands of others to seek restitution.

It also marks the first time a major US corporation has been held liable for such rights abuses in another country and could lead to a series of similar lawsuits involving rights violations across the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... t-colombia
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:00 pm Better late than never...
A Florida court has ordered Chiquita Brands International to pay $38m to the families of eight Colombian men murdered by a paramilitary death squad, after the American banana giant was shown to have financed the terrorist organisation from 1997-2004.

The landmark ruling late on Monday came after 17 years of legal efforts and is the first time that the fruit multinational has paid out compensation to Colombian victims, opening the way for thousands of others to seek restitution.

It also marks the first time a major US corporation has been held liable for such rights abuses in another country and could lead to a series of similar lawsuits involving rights violations across the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... t-colombia
When I read the first half of the first sentence above, I thought, "That's so ridiculous! What are they supposed to do about violence in Central America?" Then I read the second half. Oh.. Yeah. Maybe not pay the gangsters.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Meanwhile, in another "only in America" big news story.

You can wander around with an assault rifle in America, but if you check a box on a form that says you don't use drugs, you could be looking at some serious jail time.

This WTF moment is brought to you by.........actually I don't know. Was that a Democraic, "At least we can restrict guns for drug users" moment, or was it a Repulican, "Guns are only dangerous in the hands of *cough* drug users *cough*" moment?
stanky

Post by stanky »

symbolic as it is, the guy deserves a spanking, no?
he was a very bad boy.
i've gone to jail for less.

and that fake job he had, on Daddy's name...that's icky.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:05 am and that fake job he had, on Daddy's name...that's icky.
It's just something I can't get upset about.

Guy gets great job he doesn't deserve because he's unqualified, but he has politcal connections? Say it ain't so.

And....what exactly are the qualifications to be on a board of directors anyway? It isn't required to have experience in the subject matter of the company. Look at most boards of directors and you will see a lot of financiers and lawyers. Hunter at least had a law degree. From Yale, no less.

In principle, I think the allegations of corruption should be investigated. The problem is that the investigators likely would not be principled. We don't need another phony investigation whose conclusion can be written before the evidence is gathered. If Republicans run the investigation, it will say he's corrupt. If Democrats run it, it will say there's no evidence.

As for the gun charges? I feel sorry for him. It's a stupid law. However, he apparently broke it, flagrantly. I don't think he should go to jail for lying about stuff that shouldn't be asked in the first place. I hope he gets a light sentence.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:08 am
stanky wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:05 am and that fake job he had, on Daddy's name...that's icky.
It's just something I can't get upset about.

Guy gets great job he doesn't deserve because he's unqualified, but he has politcal connections? Say it ain't so.

And....what exactly are the qualifications to be on a board of directors anyway? It isn't required to have experience in the subject matter of the company. Look at most boards of directors and you will see a lot of financiers and lawyers. Hunter at least had a law degree. From Yale, no less.

In principle, I think the allegations of corruption should be investigated. The problem is that the investigators likely would not be principled. We don't need another phony investigation whose conclusion can be written before the evidence is gathered. If Republicans run the investigation, it will say he's corrupt. If Democrats run it, it will say there's no evidence.

As for the gun charges? I feel sorry for him. It's a stupid law. However, he apparently broke it, flagrantly. I don't think he should go to jail for lying about stuff that shouldn't be asked in the first place. I hope he gets a light sentence.
You sir are a fool.