trump off the CO ballot

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: trump off the CO ballot

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:15 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:44 am
stanky wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:36 pm I've heard that they might care a little.
Just not enough to act.

I think you have his actual MAGA followers, the ones cheering at the rallies and such, who are just as delusional as he is and those cult members, and I mean that literally, convince themselves that there must be a darned good reason for his disgusting policies. Then, there's a good chunk of people who don't really like Trump and wish he were not such a disgusting and vile individual who would do the sorts of things he does, but they hate liberals. Or maybe they don't care about anything as long as their taxes are kept low.......this year. Sooner or later that debt catches up, but who cares? That's later.

My biggest beef is with the first group. The ones who genuinely like that guy.
At lunch there was a Bolivian sitting across from us going on in English about how much he loves Donald Trump. While acting like a total dick may sometimes be a revolutionary act successfully pulling that off requires wit and originality.
"Trolling the libs" hs always been part of his appeal. They like that he's a total dick as long as he targets the bad guys, i.e. liberals and/or Democrats.

What they apparently haven't noticed is that he targets anyone and everyone who isn't totally compliant with Trump worship, and history teaches us that that never ends well. But I feel like enough people have caught on to it that he won't win the election. I just wish I were more confident about it.

Meanwhile, an Army spokesman defended the Arlington staffer, a soldier, who was pushed by one of Trump's lackeys during the Arlington incident. Trump's campaign manager responded by tweeting the video of the Arlington visit at the grave site, with a caption saying that he wanted to "trigger" the "hacks" who work for the Secretary of the Army.

Just another day on the campaign trail in 2024.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:15 pmAt lunch there was a Boliviano sitting across from us going on and on in English about how much he loves Donald Trump. While acting like a total dick can every so often be a revolutionary act successfully pulling that off requires wit and originality.
He has fans all over - I've seen (old white) Kiwi blokes wearing actual MAGA hats in NZ, and there's a farmer down in the Waikato who has a giant Trump 2024 billboard on his farm next to the country's main arterial road.

I'm always reminded of the eye-opening passage in Tom Sawyer I read as a kid, about the people who supported Injun Joe and clamoured for his release, despite being a known murderer. If Chuck Manson had been allowed an Instagram he'd have had a million followers.

Some people are fucked in the head.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Whenever I drive to my fortnightly D&D game I drive past a house that has a large and very ostentatious Trump display out the front.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I can't wrap my head around it.
I've seen guru worship that was similarly hypnotic in appearance...but nothing at Trump's scale. He's like the most famous person, ever. And he's grotesque. On every level. Maybe it's his 'don't care about decorum' attitude?
I think it's a phenomena of relentless propaganda. Plus, a hatred of the dems.
Fox News; addiction to big screen tv, lack of historical reference points, pride in one's worst features. Double speak added.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:37 pm
President Bush wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:15 pmAt lunch there was a Boliviano sitting across from us going on and on in English about how much he loves Donald Trump. While acting like a total dick can every so often be a revolutionary act successfully pulling that off requires wit and originality.
He has fans all over - I've seen (old white) Kiwi blokes wearing actual MAGA hats in NZ, and there's a farmer down in the Waikato who has a giant Trump 2024 billboard on his farm next to the country's main arterial road.

I'm always reminded of the eye-opening passage in Tom Sawyer I read as a kid, about the people who supported Injun Joe and clamoured for his release, despite being a known murderer. If Chuck Manson had been allowed an Instagram he'd have had a million followers.

Some people are fucked in the head.
For speaking seven languages and having a master's degree in engineering like he said Miguel sure couldn't sustain an argument.

Immigrants commit terrible crimes? Took me a few seconds on the fone's internet to show research indicating immigrants less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans, even showed him a CATO link finding the same.

Trump only wants to secure this borders? Took me a few seconds on the fone's internet to find stories from earlier this year how US Senate Republicans shot down, at Trump's bidding, what had been a bipartisan border security bill on the basis that it would benefit Biden.

Asked him if he was trying to be funny when he said I needed to be more objective.
stanky

Post by stanky »

How to extricate one's self from a reinforced, consensual, delusional state without alienating or proselytizing those not ready for such a humiliating, yet liberating leap?

My guess is it's unlikely. We're social animals. We need the group for a sense of buffering from the hard sting of truth. Rather be wrong than alone. My weird hunch is that we'd need to leave the flat box and engage the 3 dimensions of 'reality'...leaving the silicon based life forms to starve and corrode instead of doing their bidding...just in case AI wants to populate the galaxies, like an over-zealous human, still glowing with the pride that comes with believing in your specie's innate seat at the throne.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Remember when the cognoscenti of young culture expressed a desire to, as John Prine sang, "Blow up your tv."?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

President Bush wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:36 pmAsked him if he was trying to be funny when he said I needed to be more objective.
Proves my point that there's no use trying to reason with them - MAGA is another religion, and no argument makes any difference to belief.
stanky

Post by stanky »

To be fair, same holds true for the anti-maga.

I changed my mind about beets. Hated them as a kid; love them now.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

stanky wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:52 pm Remember when the cognoscenti of young culture expressed a desire to, as John Prine sang, "Blow up your tv."?
There were two summer cottages on a lake in rural Wisconsin about 35 miles west of Milwaukee. The one I lived in was $400 a year, an ex-con named Larry lived in the other, probably paid the same I don't remember.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources bought the property to preserve the tamarack swamp on the north end of Nagawicka Lake where the cottages were. Bought out the remainder of our leases and the cottages were going to be torn down. We had a party.

His television was vintage, black and white from the early fifties, probably would be worth money now. Larry held a shotgun in his lap, pulled the trigger and blew up the TV during a Certs commercial: "two, two, two mints in BLAM".

Good thing nobody was coming to the door.