what it means to be human

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: what it means to be human

Post by arthwollipot »

Yeah, this is something that comes up occasionally on another forum, with regard to gender.

"I don't see race, race isn't important," is a racist statement because it disrespects and devalues everybody for whom race is important - especially those who have experienced systematic discrimination due to their race.

Race is important. Don't devalue it.

And before anyone makes the obvious rebuttal, no, scientifically and genetically speaking, racial divides don't really exist. Race is a social and cultural phenomenon, not a genetic one.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:51 am And before anyone makes the obvious rebuttal, no, scientifically and genetically speaking, racial divides don't really exist.
Except when they do.

There appears to be a clear element of genetics in a large number of diseases that attack one race more often than others.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:15 pm
arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:51 am And before anyone makes the obvious rebuttal, no, scientifically and genetically speaking, racial divides don't really exist.
Except when they do.

There appears to be a clear element of genetics in a large number of diseases that attack one race more often than others.
Like sickle-cell disease, sure, but I'd argue that it affects populations, not "races". Eh, nitpicking.
stanky

Post by stanky »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:51 am Yeah, this is something that comes up occasionally on another forum, with regard to gender.

"I don't see race, race isn't important," is a racist statement because it disrespects and devalues everybody for whom race is important - especially those who have experienced systematic discrimination due to their race.

And before anyone makes the obvious rebuttal, no, scientifically and genetically speaking, racial divides don't really exist. Race is a social and cultural phenomenon, not a genetic one.
why isn't the solution to racism rejecting those limiting modifiers?
same with religious discrimination...
quit religion?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

stanky wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:54 am
arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:51 am Yeah, this is something that comes up occasionally on another forum, with regard to gender.

why isn't the solution to racism rejecting those limiting modifiers?
same with religious discrimination...
quit religion?
Well, yeah, but that's a bit different. A person can choose to not be religious. They can't choose not to be black.
stanky

Post by stanky »

we can choose the degree of significance we assign to race

or for that matter, our sex or age

or, we can be a caricature of ourselves
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

arthwollipot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:36 pm Like sickle-cell disease, sure, but I'd argue that it affects populations, not "races". Eh, nitpicking.
I see Wikipedia has an extensive list of diseases affecting different races.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_health

In NZ, the leaders of various racial groups are the ones demanding action.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

I'll tell you one thing that really drives home what it means to be human: delivering a eulogy for your best friend.

Fuck I'm a mess right now.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:11 am I'll tell you one thing that really drives home what it means to be human: delivering a eulogy for your best friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tflchAt5kJw
sparks

Post by sparks »

arthwollipot wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:11 am I'll tell you one thing that really drives home what it means to be human: delivering a eulogy for your best friend.

Sympathies for your loss.