A very depressing video from Gaza

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: A very depressing video from Gaza

Post by Meadmaker »

sparks wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:41 pm We bite it and do not, repeat, DO NOT save face. This is the goddamned world we're talking about here, not some stupid fucking kids game on a computer.

Ever watched "Fail Safe"?

If we don't stop this madness, it will stop us. Frankly I'm not in favor of that.
When your sources are 1960s films, it isn't very persuasive. I haven't seen "Fail Safe". I have seen, but not read, "On the Beach". Let's not forget "Doctor Strangelove".

In some ways, it's a quibble. If 9 out of 10 people in the world die, it really sucks, for the ones who die and the ones who survive.

If 99 out of 100 people die, well that's even more death, which is bad, and a very interesting existence, although ripe with possibility, for the survivors.

But I haven't seen any reason to believe that nuclear war would kill 100% of the people. 100, or maybe 200 or 300 years after darned near everyone dies, the world will be back to worrying about overpopulation, because the way to correct for overpopulation will be in their history books, and those books will say that it sucked.

From what I've read, though, even a full scale, all out, throw everything you have at it nuclear war, probably wouldn't kill on that scale. Hundreds of millions dead within a week. Lots more dead owing to the collapse of infrastructure everywhere. The general consensus outside of pop culture is that nuclear winter wasn't really a thing likely to happen, or at least not likely to be an extinction level event. So, anyway, lots of people die, civilization collapses temporarily, lifespans are short for a time because of high cancer rates, and then the ones who are left rebuild, probably no wiser having grown up surrounded by ruins of great civilizations.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

This article in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists says 5 billion dead, but only 25% of Austrailians. Most of the dead from starvation.

https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/nowhere ... /#section5

So three billion survivors. That's more than the population at the end of WWII, less than 100 years ago.

Evolution.

Still....I hope the Middle East doesn't trigger that. I'm pretty sure I would be in the 5 billion instead of the three billion. The map that accompanies the article puts the United States in deep red, where deep red is at the top of the "percent dead" column. The Southern hemisphere fares a lot better. Australia is yellow. Africa is yellow and orange. South America does ok.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/nowhere ... /#section2

Immediately killing four, five, six hundred million and still having a bunch of warheads left over actually seems economical if you think about it.

Though detonating Earth's total thermonuclear inventory of about 12,512 nuclear warheads, all at the same time like on the moon... would be fucking impressive especially during the new moon when it was really dark.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sparks wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:10 pmWhere did you get your edumacation all about geo and nuclear physics?
I know fuck all nuclear physics, but I'm an expert of meteorology. The sir streams between the hemispheres mix only to a very small degree, and the air close to the equator stays pretty close to the tropics. NZ's air mass is south of all that and short of the nuclear exchange including Antarctica, we'll be fine.
sparks wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:10 pmEver read/watched "On The Beach"? A book.
Read it long ago - excellent book by a very good author. The nuclear exchanges in it were between Indo and Aussie (which Di still worried about till the day she died)

Not relevant.

Given the way the weather patterns happen in NZ, I think the chances of south island west coast being affected by nuclear war is zero.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Admin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:48 pm
sparks wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:10 pmWhere did you get your edumacation all about geo and nuclear physics?
I know fuck all nuclear physics, but I'm an expert of meteorology. The sir streams between the hemispheres mix only to a very small degree, and the air close to the equator stays pretty close to the tropics. NZ's air mass is south of all that and short of the nuclear exchange including Antarctica, we'll be fine.
sparks wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:10 pmEver read/watched "On The Beach"? A book.
Read it long ago - excellent book by a very good author. The nuclear exchanges in it were between Indo and Aussie (which Di still worried about till the day she died)

Not relevant.

Given the way the weather patterns happen in NZ, I think the chances of south island west coast being affected by nuclear war is zero.
Not the way I remember the book... nuclear exchange was all in the northern hemisphere, radioactivity made its way into the southern.

Tried finding references online to nuclear exchanges between "Indo and Aussie" in the book... hmmm.

I was fascinated by the story when I was a kid.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:41 pm https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/nowhere ... /#section2

Immediately killing four, five, six hundred million and still having a bunch of warheads left over actually seems economical if you think about it.

Though detonating Earth's total thermonuclear inventory of about 12,512 nuclear warheads, all at the same time like on the moon... would be fucking impressive especially during the new moon when it was really dark.
I'm reminded of the classic Far Side, with aliens watching from the moon as mushroom clouds spread, going "Oooooooh".
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:33 am
Not the way I remember the book... nuclear exchange was all in the northern hemisphere, radioactivity made its way into the southern.
Same in the movie. The northern hemisphere was annihilated quickly, while the Aussies waited for the radiation to creep their way and kill everyone.

But it's not exactly a textbook. Scientifically, it wasn't a perfect representation of actual radiation dispersal.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:51 am
President Bush wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:33 am
Same in the movie. The northern hemisphere was annihilated quickly, while the Aussies waited for the radiation to creep their way and kill everyone.

But it's not exactly a textbook. Scientifically, it wasn't a perfect representation of actual radiation dispersal.
I might have watched the movie before you were born.

Was specifically referring to what TA said happened in the novel in my post. Perhaps you know what he's referring to in writing about the "nuclear exchanges in it were between Indo and Aussie"?

I don't, and that's what I was referring to in my post.

But, hey Meadmaker, if you like tangents... here's a great one IMO (needs headphones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBVde75 ... rt_radio=1
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:15 am I might have watched the movie before you were born.
I looked up when the movie was made. It's possible. I was not born when the movie was released. I saw it when I was in college. 1980 or '81.

(I don't know what TA was referring to, either.)
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yeah, I think I mixed up the Indonesian part with another book in the same vein.

Either way, the science says NZ will be fine.