Planet America

Start here
President Bush

Re: Planet America

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:52 pm I'll bet there are literally thousands of Georgia families where teenagers got guns as Chrismas presents last year. Hundreds, at least. There are about 750,000 teenagers in Georgia. If one out of every 1,000 got a gun for Christmas, that would be 750. I'll bet that at least 1 in 1,000 have been given a gun by their parents.
I’m sure we all can agree that we’d rather see a teen accidentally shoot their friend from a deer blind or unintentionally kill their sibling after finding their parents’ rifle under the bed than turn a gun on their classmates. We’re calling on law enforcement to kill more African Americans during traffic stops and more people with mental health issues to use guns for suicide—the kinds of gun deaths that we as Americans can live with.”

https://theonion.com/nra-calls-for-more ... 824088427/#!
grayman

Post by grayman »

I think I posted this before, so here it is again if I did.

Guntown.

https://youtu.be/4T41M7cCqsU?feature=shared
grayman

Post by grayman »

Latest shooting in southeast Kentucky.
A manhunt was underway early Sunday as police searched for a gunman in a rural area of southeastern Kentucky near Interstate 75, according to authorities who said seven people were hurt in the shooting and a vehicle accident that accompanied the violence

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-gov ... 18961.html
stanky

Post by stanky »

creepy stuff.

Had some kids dropping bricks from an overpass in New Mexico; got lucky and saw them drop one for me; swerved hard and just missed it. At 80 mph, that's a deadly stunt.
As twisted as that type of random violence is, I'm surprised there isn't more.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

And in the All-American tradition, let the lawsuits commence!

Well, not just yet, but you can bet they're coming.

It seems that Marcee Gray phoned the school to warn them at 9:50. The shooting didn't start until 10:20. The counselor and Ms. Gray spoke for 10 minutes. Families of victims are quoted as saying this was preventable, because the school was warned. It seem like lawsuits are inevitable.

And maybe, this time, they should be. We have lawyers so we can sort this sort of thing out, but I think the school will be in a rather awkward position. I don't know if that call was recorded by the school. Probably not. But a lot of people are going to be asking a lot of questions. Whatever Marcee said, she took 10 minutes to say it, so there was probably a lot. I read today that school officials went and retrieved a backpack, but it was the wrong backpack, and they never found Colt. I think it will be a while before we find out more about the call. School oficials are sure to clam up "in order to not interfere with an ongoing investigation."
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Following on to the last message, I think the school was warned with enough detail that they really should have stopped this.

In an interview with ABC news, Marcee Gray said she spoke to a counselor, and the counselor told her that she had already received messages from teachers that Colt Gray was talking about school shootings that morning. So, with that, and then a frantic call from a mom, this really should have been a case where the school resource officers (i.e. cops who work at the school) should have taken immedieate action, but they didn't.

Or so it seems. Who knows? Maybe Marcee Gray is a lunatic who is making stuff up after the fact. Based on previous accounts, she isn't the most reliable source of information. Also, things always seem much more obvious when looking backwards. Nevertheless, I think there are a lot of people who are going to be asking, "Why didn't you.....?"
stanky

Post by stanky »

Seems there's always a warning. Even 9/11 had them.
We needed that assault to institute our crazed shift to fascism.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I read something awful today about the Georgia school shooting.

There were two students at that school who sat next to each other in class. One was named Colt Gray. One was named Kolton Gray. Not related.

Reacting to the mother's warning, they went looking for her son, but they went looking for Kolton Gray, not Colt Gray. Neither one was in class at the time they showed up.

Such little things can end up affecting our lives, or even, in this case, ending them.

I can't blame the staff, even though they obviously made a mistake. I think it's an understandable mistake, and just a tragedy that such a coincidence occurred. I am sure more details will come out, and maybe they still didn't handle the situation correctly, but it does she some light on the actions of the staff between the time of the warning phone call, and the time of the shooting.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Protip: don't name your kids after guns?
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I had never heard of anyone named "Colt" before, but there are a surprising, to me, number of American babies named "Colt". It is currently number 264 on a list of boys baby names for 2024, right between Omar and Lennox on the list of most popular names.

The site where I saw that had a graph of popularity over time. In 1982, Colt was something like around number 5,000 in popularity of boys' names in the US. In 1983, it went to 496. I don't know if there was some sort of B list celebrity or maybe a football player named Colt right around then that inspired a bunch of imitators. Since then it has bounced around, in general rising slightly in popularity over the years. Something tells me that by the end of the year, it might drop a little bit from its current standing, as expectant parents have unpleasant associations with the name.