Planet America

Start here
Meadmaker

Re: Planet America

Post by Meadmaker »

And now, in the same old Planet America news, school shooting in Winder, Georgia, outside of Atlanta.

Not much detail yet. Multiple people being treated for gunshot wounds at local hospital. No statistics yet available.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

At least 4 dead: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/527091 ... in-custody

Shooter in custody - I expect it to be the traditional former student.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Early comment is that the shooter phoned in warnings and is a 14-year-old boy.

Holy fuck, what a world.
stanky

Post by stanky »

And didn't get killed himself. If he was after a suicide by cop, he must feel terrible.

I guess it's wrong to hope that at least the teachers he shot were pedophiles and gave bad grades, and that the students were going to become Hitler and Oprah.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Headlines you wish were misleading or stupid:

Nearly 50 people have been killed, injured in K-12 school shootings across the US in 2024
sparks

Post by sparks »

But clearly we need more guns and less education and mental health support for our young idiots.

Only 50? Come on Umerca! You're just not trying hard enough!!!
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Another of those headlines that you want to be made up:

"Father of Georgia shooting suspect told investigators he bought weapon for son as holiday gift after FBI probe"

The accompanying story explains that while you must be 18 years of age to purchasn an AR-15, under Georgia law there is no minimum age for possession of such a weapon.

ETA: Apparently dad was arrested, but I don't see why. If the kid having the gun was legal, then I'm not seeing an issue. "Child cruelty" was among the charges, but it wasn't clear to me if that was because he beat Colt, or if there's some other reason. Earlier reports said that while the father yelled a bunch, he wasn't physically violent.

I suppose we'll find out more.

ETA2: And other articles say that it is illegal for a minor to "own" a weapon, and that was the basis of the charges filed against dad. The lawyers will sort it out, I guess.
stanky

Post by stanky »

Sounds like Colt's dad could be a celebrity with the far right.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Any dipshit who names their kid 'Colt' should be shot in the head several times with one. And the kid too.

Damn, what a waste of human potential. Then again: Georgia.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I think the eight counts of "child cruelty" against dad must refer to the eight minors who were shot by Colt. I'm not sure. I haven't seen an explanation in the articles I've read.

And I'm still not clear on exactly what was and wasn't legal about Colt having the gun. From the articles I've read, Georgia doesn't seem to have any of those stupid liberal loser laws that say you have to keep guns locked away from kids.

I'll bet there are literally thousands of Georgia families where teenagers got guns as Chrismas presents last year. Hundreds, at least. There are about 750,000 teenagers in Georgia. If one out of every 1,000 got a gun for Christmas, that would be 750. I'll bet that at least 1 in 1,000 have been given a gun by their parents.