I say " Just rinsing the dishes, dear."
sparks

Re: Planet America

Post by sparks »

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I'm an Olympics fan. On the first day of operation the folks at NBC were really hyping the swimming rivalry between the US and Australia.

Is it really a thing, or is it something NBC made up to create interest? (Assuming one or more of you Southern hemisphere folks pays attention to the Olympics. I like them, but plenty of folks consider them completely tedious.)
stanky

Post by stanky »

it's a thing and has been for decades. i remember the rivalry with Australia from high school swim team, almost 60 years ago.

i like the games for a reference point of human achievement...like track....which is overlooked until it's time to find out how high a person can jump; how fast can they run, etc. See if records are broken. Today's jocks have huge advantages over past performers. I wish they had a special Olympics for dopers, so we could have an ongoing experiment on performance enhancing drugs.

I could do without all the pomp and ceremony and politics and celebrities. Highlights is plenty, and i can wait for that.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:55 am I'm an Olympics fan. On the first day of operation the folks at NBC were really hyping the swimming rivalry between the US and Australia.

Is it really a thing, or is it something NBC made up to create interest? (Assuming one or more of you Southern hemisphere folks pays attention to the Olympics. I like them, but plenty of folks consider them completely tedious.)
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:31 am it's a thing and has been for decades. i remember the rivalry with Australia from high school swim team, almost 60 years ago.
I could do without all the pomp and ceremony and politics and celebrities. Highlights is plenty, and i can wait for that.
Ok. I guess it's a long running story that I just missed

For me, I like the pomp and ceremony. I also like what I might call the "15 minute celebrities"...i.e. folks who get a lot of air time after their victory in the pole vault, especially women's pole vault, and then they fade back into obscurity. I don't give a hoot for LeBron James, or any sport like tennis where this isn't the biggest sporting event of their lives.

I dislike the politics and the obsession with national medal counts.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:41 pm
stanky wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:31 am it's a thing and has been for decades. i remember the rivalry with Australia from high school swim team, almost 60 years ago.
Ok. I guess it's a long running story that I just missed

For me, I like the pomp and ceremony. I also like what I might call the "15 minute celebrities"...i.e. folks who get a lot of air time after their victory in the pole vault, especially women's pole vault, and then they fade back into obscurity. I don't give a hoot for LeBron James, or any sport like tennis where this isn't the biggest sporting event of their lives.

I dislike the politics and the obsession with national medal counts.
Only sport I have watched this far was women's fencing the other night on my laptop.

Somehow I found a site that was showing four simultaneous matches on a split screen.

No American involved. I watched it purely for the athletic beauty of the sport.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:50 pmOnly sport I have watched this far was women's fencing the other night on my laptop.
I'm gutted that NZ has never won a medal fencing.

If you haven't ever watched half a dozen guys try to create a 50m, 6-wire, 3-strainer fence the fastest, you should check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/NewZealandFencingCompetitions/
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Meadmaker wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:41 pm... especially women's pole vault...
I support that remark.