Weather

Start here
arthwollipot

Re: Weather

Post by arthwollipot »

Di Wundrin wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:34 pmUmmm. It's summer in Oz Art, it's supposed to be hot.
I'm in Canberra. 31 is "pretty warm", and that's where it's forecast to get to today. Saturday it's supposed to get to 34, which I'd consider "quite warm". It rarely gets above that here.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:34 pm Ummm. It's summer in Oz Art, it's supposed to be hot.
Beware what you wish for.

La Nina is finally abating and we're going to enter a neutral phase this year. Whether the next year brings the next El Nino, it'll happen sooner or later, then you'll see some heat.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:33 am
Di Wundrin wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:34 pm Ummm. It's summer in Oz Art, it's supposed to be hot.
Beware what you wish for.

La Nina is finally abating and we're going to enter a neutral phase this year. Whether the next year brings the next El Nino, it'll happen sooner or later, then you'll see some heat.
Yep. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

arthwollipot wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:23 pm
Di Wundrin wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:34 pmUmmm. It's summer in Oz Art, it's supposed to be hot.
I'm in Canberra. 31 is "pretty warm", and that's where it's forecast to get to today. Saturday it's supposed to get to 34, which I'd consider "quite warm". It rarely gets above that here.
You're spoilt down there. But I wouldn't do a winter there for quids.

I took a Canadian friend down for a look around in autumn and SHE was whinging about how cold it was. A nice 'breeze' off the southern snowfields perhaps. But when someone who has to dig their car out of the snow reckons it's cold I'll take their word for it.

But she did say "it's a different kind of cold".. whatever the hell that means to Canadians.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Di Wundrin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:18 am But she did say "it's a different kind of cold".. whatever the hell that means to Canadians.
It's the wind. I had a sister lived in Alberta for 40 years. She said that even in -20 the cold wasn't a problem, because it was almost always calm. When it wasn't they stayed inside and their lives were wet up for it, so they never really noticed the wind chill.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Of course! didn't think of that, it was a bone chiller blowing at the time.

I was amazed at how they 'bury' their cities. Huge shopping malls mostly below ground, so they go from house to garage into the car, crank up the air con, drive to the shops, park and shop underground and never get exposed to the weather at all! ... other than clearing their driveways.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Admin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:48 am
Di Wundrin wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:18 am But she did say "it's a different kind of cold".. whatever the hell that means to Canadians.
It's the wind. I had a sister lived in Alberta for 40 years. She said that even in -20 the cold wasn't a problem, because it was almost always calm. When it wasn't they stayed inside and their lives were wet up for it, so they never really noticed the wind chill.
It's also the humidity, or rather the lack thereof. Canberra is a very dry cold. I happen to like it, but coming from somewhere that gets the same kinds of temperatures, but where it snows, it's likely to be a bit odd.

Forecast for tomorrow is 35, but also a chance of a thunderstorm, which isn't uncommon here when it gets hot. And I'm intending to be out doing swords. I must remember to take plenty of water.
Di Wundrin

Post by Di Wundrin »

Righto, I'll bite. "doing swords" ?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Yes. I do swords.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I do melons.