Headlines that signal that the story will be misleading and/or stupid

Start here
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Headlines that signal that the story will be misleading and/or stupid

Post by Admin »

Way too late. 50 Cent produced "Diddy Do It?" years ago, and it's been bought by Netflix for something like $100M.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

"The evidence will be powerful": Legal experts say Jack Smith about to drop a bomb in Trump case

from Salon.

No, the evidence won't be powerful. We know what happened. His supporters know what happened. What the heck could Jack Smith produce that would be "powerful"? It's just wishful thinking. "Ah, yes! This time for sure!"
stanky

Post by stanky »

The "bomb" is such a weird metaphor. We use to have blonde bombshells to confuse things.

The walls have been closing in on Trump forever. It's making him strangely heroic. Criminals can cheer for him as he slips past another one.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

stanky wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 4:29 am The "bomb" is such a weird metaphor. We use to have blonde bombshells to confuse things.

The walls have been closing in on Trump forever. It's making him strangely heroic. Criminals can cheer for him as he slips past another one.
"Bombshell" is kind of a weird metaphor, isn't it?

I suppose the idea is that a "bomb", in this usage is something that is extremely shocking and cannot be ignored. It disrupts everything and causes all attention to turn in the direction of the explosion. I think, somewhere in the recesses of my memory, I remember people saying, "When he said x, it was like a bomb went off in the room."

So I suppose Jack Smith's new evidence is something that we will all stop what we are doing to pay attention to it, and a "blonde bombshell" is a blonde woman who is so sexy that when she walks into a room everyone notices and she distracts everyone's attention from whatever they were doing.

Except....Jack Smith's evidence won't capture anyone's attention because it won't tell us anything new, and there are no bombshells of the feminie type, blonde or otherwise, involved in this election. Taylor Swift maybe? A couple of weeks ago some people seemed to care who she was endorsing.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

Also, when something's really good, it's the bomb.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Meadmaker wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:32 am
stanky wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 4:29 am The "bomb" is such a weird metaphor. We use to have blonde bombshells to confuse things.

I suppose the idea is that a "bomb", in this usage is something that is extremely shocking and cannot be ignored. It disrupts everything and causes all attention to turn in the direction of the explosion. I think, somewhere in the recesses of my memory, I remember people saying, "When he said x, it was like a bomb went off in the room."

So I suppose Jack Smith's new evidence is something that we will all stop what we are doing to pay attention to it, and a "blonde bombshell" is a blonde woman who is so sexy that when she walks into a room everyone notices and she distracts everyone's attention from whatever they were doing.

Except....Jack Smith's evidence won't capture anyone's attention because it won't tell us anything new, and there are no bombshells of the feminie type, blonde or otherwise, involved in this election. Taylor Swift maybe? A couple of weeks ago some people seemed to care who she was endorsing.
soory, I think your point bombed.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 20bombings
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

Post deleted. Reposted in a new post.

My editing bombed.
Last edited by Meadmaker on Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

President Bush wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:14 pm
Meadmaker wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:32 am

soory, I think your point bombed.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... 20bombings

Well, I think Jack Smith's new evidence will bomb, but I doubt that usage is what Salon had in mind.

Oh....and I did read the article attached to the headline. It was just plain weird. The important point was that Smith had repackaged things to make sure his charges didn't run afoul of the Supreme Court ruling on presidential immunity, and that made it very long compared to an ordinary pre-trial filing.

I couldn't discern any hints of anything bomb-like that "legal experts" referenced in the headline found significant.

Don't get me wrong. This is another case where I would really like to be wrong. I would love it if Smith revealed new evidence that would shake MAGA to its core and even reveal something that shakes loose a few of his followers. Sadly, that is not going to happen.
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Don't know why you care what people who you think are confused believe. What's the point?

Took a look at a Forbes article just now...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... heres-why/

Jack Smith's office is filing a new brief today which will include “additional unpled categories of evidence that the Government intends to introduce at trial” and will include grand jury transcripts that have not previously been made public.

Guess we'll see. Hmmm, is that the same source article you were complaining about?
stanky

Post by stanky »

It says he's going to release 'bombshells'. Isn't the shell of the bomb the non explosive container?
I recall when Jack first appeared (in a big way) in the media, as a steely, no nonsense guy who was going to bring Trump down. He looks fierce.

The whole thing is bombastic.