Planet America

Start here
stanky

Re: Planet America

Post by stanky »

Kurt Vonnegut readers know of the fire bombings of Dresden.

war sucks. america is disproportionately involved in it, as well as it subsidiaries, like illegal drugs and weapons.
i hate it. i even quit it. paid the price. and i'm still american. it's got that much flex, to its credit. they didn't need to kill me, as might have been the case in NK, and maybe Russia for a military deserter. Thanks, U.S.! and now it's even more liberal; no draft. no one is forced into it.

chilly thought. like, well why then?
gals love a man in a uniform?
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

I read Slaughterhouse Five recently. While I can't say I "enjoyed" it - it didn't seem like a book to "enjoy" - I'm glad I read it. It seemed an excellent unreliable narrator first person perspective of a man with PTSD and schizophrenia experiencing psychotic breaks. Unless you're only interested in escapism, I recommend it.
If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
stanky

Post by stanky »

he's mark twain returned.
not sure who brings back kv.
i miss those fellas.

(Twain's more obscure writings are great, as is the novel KV's kid wrote before dying.)
KV's interview on npr before he died was great. He advised the audience not to buy his last book; that it wasn't very good. that attitude refreshes some folk. it runs thru his writings. honesty. priceless. the art of cutting through the guff.)
President Bush

Post by President Bush »

Cat's Cradle was always my favorite.

https://www.cs.uni.edu/%7Ewallingf/pers ... konon.html
Last edited by President Bush on Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Breakfast Of Champions.

First time I ever laughed out loud reading.
stanky

Post by stanky »

I've tried the secret (and illegal) bokonon ritual, of putting the soles of your feet against another's. It's pretty neat, actually. I think i've read all his books. They blur together. Certain words and concepts shine through the brain sludge, like 'granfalloon'. useful word too. we needed it. The Avondale Shitbox is a useful metaphor and the Ramjac Corporation was brilliant and prescient. Black Rock is well on it's way to becoming Ramjac. I loved KV's notion that 'politeness' was about all we should hope for. love and other stuff is simply too much. But just maybe, we could achieve politeness.
gosh...

he wasn't cynical enough.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hey, stanky!

I see your hero, RFK Jr has now endorsed Trump, who's promised him a position in health if he wins.

I presume you must now vote for Trump, since Junior says you should. After all, he's such a pacifist good bloke he can't be wrong.
Meadmaker

Post by Meadmaker »

I had to check to make sure the following headline wasn't from The Onion:

"Trump’s New Jersey golf club to host Jan. 6 awards gala"

Nope. It's real.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Admin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:36 pm Hey, stanky!

I see your hero, RFK Jr has now endorsed Trump, who's promised him a position in health if he wins.

I presume you must now vote for Trump, since Junior says you should. After all, he's such a pacifist good bloke he can't be wrong.
Ah shit. A position in health? Just what we need. Another antivaxxer fucking up the health care system.

Damn!
stanky

Post by stanky »

Admin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:36 pm Hey, stanky!

why say this shit? it's pointless and misleading. your presumptions are just that.
i hadn't seen it; don't care; it's a pity. an opportunity was lost by the dems.
i detest trump and bobby's not a hero. Trump will likely lose now, despite rfk jr, and Bobby gets to do something else.
he may already know all that, with Donald planning to get out with cash; Biden pardoning him, etc.
hopefully, a warm and fuzzy moment for america, as Trump rides into the sunset, hero to his sobbing base.

haven't figured the heroic part. should be easy.

hmmnn...he must give barron a kidney! would'nt be able to give it his all as King because of the selfless sacrifice.