Post by stanky »

Most Americans can't tell the difference between their ass and a

ah,
nevermind
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Planet America

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:59 amThe smell didn't bother me so much. I just accepted it.
Our youngest - who I'm pretty sure wasn't even born when you were out here - has the most amazingly delicate sense of smell that he just couldn't stand it. The cleaner aisle at the supermarket is torture to him, and he's not making it up - after 30 seconds in it he's coughing and his eyes are streaming.
grayman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:59 amCould never pronounce locations properly. I had some locals tell me that my American accent was "cute".
You can have a lot of fun with Maori names. I went to a primary school at Rerewhakaaitu, which even most Maori can't pronounce.

Your accent didn't seem odd to me, and a million Americans visit Rotorua every year, so maybe there was a nuance I missed that they got from constantly hearing them.

When I was a kid local residents were allowed in all the tourist destinations for free, and since volcanic/geothermal activity interested me I was at Whaka, Waiotapu or Waimangu most weekends. I used to tell the most outrageous lies to American tourists about the mud pools and geysers.

Happy days.
grayman

Post by grayman »

Admin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:06 pm
When I was a kid local residents were allowed in all the tourist destinations for free, and since volcanic/geothermal activity interested me I was at Whaka, Waiotapu or Waimangu most weekends. I used to tell the most outrageous lies to American tourists about the mud pools and geysers.

Happy days.

I imagine you like Billy T. James as a taxi driver, telling the bragging American tourist about something on the other side of the bay, and how he would show it to the Yank if he was willing to swim across.

When the tourist asked, "Why don't we just drive over that bridge?" Billy acted surprised and said, "Damn! That wasn't there yesterday!".
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

grayman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:33 pm I imagine you like Billy T. James as a taxi driver, telling the bragging American tourist about something on the other side of the bay, and how he would show it to the Yank if he was willing to swim across.

When the tourist asked, "Why don't we just drive over that bridge?" Billy acted surprised and said, "Damn! That wasn't there yesterday!".
I still miss Billy T - what a fucking legend. In the '80s I saw him every Sunday when he'd drop into the gas station to have a yarn and fill up. Away from the cameras he was so quiet and shy you wouldn't know it was the same bloke.
stanky

Post by stanky »

a question came to me that was compelling enough to calculate.
what is the ratio of the areas of a circle, and the largest square that fits inside?
what is ratio of the volumes of a sphere and the largest cube that fits inside?
is it the same in both cases?

and similarly, what is the ratio of the area of a square, and the largest circle that fits inside?
same with cube and sphere using volume.

or, which packs tighter: circle around square? or the opposite.
and with the 3rd dimension version.

i felt i should know this stuff; thought it would come in handy in real life.
so, damnit, i did the brute force method, and got my answers.

very satisfying.
arthwollipot

Post by arthwollipot »

If you're not on edge, you're taking up too much space.
sparks

Post by sparks »

stanky wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:55 am a question came to me that was compelling enough to calculate.
what is the ratio of the areas of a circle, and the largest square that fits inside?
what is ratio of the volumes of a sphere and the largest cube that fits inside?
is it the same in both cases?

and similarly, what is the ratio of the area of a square, and the largest circle that fits inside?
same with cube and sphere using volume.

or, which packs tighter: circle around square? or the opposite.
and with the 3rd dimension version.

i felt i should know this stuff; thought it would come in handy in real life.
so, damnit, i did the brute force method, and got my answers.

very satisfying.
Show your work, or you get no credit stank. This was covered at the beginning of the semester mister! :)
stanky

Post by stanky »

It's worse than that. I took no notes and the answers by the next day.
In fact, i'm starting to forget all manner of stuff i knew. Names of plants, chords to my own songs, high-school girl friends, where i left my hat, etc.
Problem is, it's hard to remember that you don't remember, and plan accordingly.
Like, i can't trust me to leave something cooking on the stove while i go tend to something. Must set an alarm timer.
Mary's always been a space cadet and i was steadfast and could find things. Now we're both nimcompoops.

One thing i recall about the circle and square vs cube and sphere: The ratios aren't analogous. The dimensions aren't parallel.

at least, not from here.
grayman

Post by grayman »

stanky

Post by stanky »

i pee in the sink sometimes.